Notices

Has anyone tried depression medication in recovery?

Old 10-22-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried depression medication in recovery?

Hi everyone.

A couple of weeks ago I was diagnosed with both depression and alcohol use disorder. The person who gave me the assessment had me set up an appointment with a psychiatrist. He suggested that I consider trying out antidepressants, even if it's just for a short period of time. He called it a "bridge" to possibly help see over the depression enough to get my life back together.

I'm curious about your experiences with this. I've always been very hesitant to try medication for mental health. I understand that you "can't" become dependent on it but I am still fearful that if I start an antidepressant, I will need it for the rest of my life. This thought makes me very uneasy.

However, I'm also afraid that if I don't get my depression under control then I will continue to relapse because of the smallest stressors.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am on antidepressants. It isn't something I particularly like, but it is completely different than being dependent on drugs/alcohol. Some mornings I forget to take my antidepressants, and don't remember until late in the day. I do feel off when I don't take them, but I don't obsess about them. When I was drinking / using I never, ever forgot to take my 'dose'.

I may or may not stay on them for the rest of my life. One of my recovery friends was on the same antidepressant I am on now. He decided to get off of them against the doctor's advice. He relapsed and died from choking on his own vomit. I had ideas about getting off of them, but my friend's experience makes me hesitant.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If they told you that you had diabetes, and would need to take medication from this point forward, would you balk? My experience with antidepressants is that they can make recovery more manageable for people who need them. But even those that benefit from them can fail (at recovery) if they don't take them long enough. A year or 18 months seems to be about right for most, but if you need them longer why not? Would you rather drink... or be miserable in your sobriety? What would be the point of that?

Let the professionals decide, but be honest with them. That's your best bet.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on antidepressants a long time and will likely take them for the rest of my life. This does not bother me cause the meds help level the playing field for me and keep me from being overwhelmed with negative energy.

I was taking them before I started drinking and continued to take them while drinking, which cancelled out the antiD effects. Now that I'm sober, the meds work as they should.

I'd rather be sober with antiD's than miserable and relapsing without them.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think antidepressants can help with the transition to getting sober. There are so many depression, anxiety and other mental symptoms that occur in the beginning. If you are already prone to depression, the alcohol and early withdrawals from quitting make those symptoms worse. I tried many prescription antidepressants and ended up going off them eventually. However, ultimately I worked with a naturopath and started taking natural supplements which have helped me a great deal. I plan to continue taking them. I would have an open conversation with your doctor and listen to what he/she says.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started on anti-depressant medication after an assessment by a psychiatrist, and I continue to take them today. One factor in your decision to take anti-depressants, IMO, should be to evaluate if you were feeling depressed before you started to drink to excess, and how long did you feel that way? I know that I have suffered from depression and anxiety disorders for far longer than I ever drank, and that factored into my decision.

Anti-depressants are individualistic in how they work, and if you start one it may not work well for you, and you could be prescribed a different one. Most research today indicates that these medications also work best in concert with therapy, and for the alcoholic with psychological treatment by somebody that specializes in such matters. It's possible that you will be a dual-diagnosis with alcoholism and clinical depression that, although challenge to hear, can be comforting to know if you have been suspecting that for a long time. Like has been stated here, whatever medication you have been prescribed can take a while to take effect, and it's important that you take them as prescribed; neither will they make you necessarily a happy person straight away nor alone.

Most anti-depressants prescribed today are known as selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRI's) or selective serotonin norepinephrine inhibotors (SNRI's), and, without a lot of detail, they help the body maintain an appropriate level of neurotransmitters. These drugs come with their own side-effects for many people, and you should discuss that with the psychiatrist, but I find the trade-offs of some side-effects worth it for me. These drugs are not known to be addictive, but you should never just stop taking them completely at once nor take more than prescribed. Alcohol use concurrently will prevent them from achieving their benefits, trust me. Altogether, these medications are considered safe for the vast majority of people.

Again, for me, these medications have made a big difference in my life, while I view them neither as a crutch nor as a cure for either my depression or my alcoholism. A higher quality of life from their use can make a difference in how you are able to incorporate other aspects of dealing with depression and alcohol recovery. You should not feel afraid or stigmatized if you elect to use them under the care of a physician.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

my experience

I've been on an old style tricyclic anti depressant for some years - my case is a little different in that I'm using it for nerve pain, but it's still a daily dose.

It doesn't make me high, I'm not dependent on it (I often forget to take it) but it helps me maintain a quality of life I'm happy with.

D
Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My short answer is yep, from the start. I am on a handful of meds and the combination works so well for me. Along the way, my psych and I have tweaked the program. Happy to share more details like I have done many times here, if you want to PM. To me, meds are a critical tool in my recovery arsenal. No cure or sole solution, but very important for emotional balance that underlies and supports my recovery.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am on a/d's......they are a field leveler for me. This means it is possible for me to separate alcoholism from depression. It means tho- I have to make the effort to ensure the support of my GP...and not expect to be rescued.

Support to you.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
totfit

I found that for me, exercise worked much better than prescribed drugs. There is no doubt they are helpful for many. Exercise is however a natural way to increase Serotonin and boost other mood elevating chemistry in the brain.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been prescribed a lot of different drugs over the years. Most of my recent psyche issues were due to alcohol, I've come to find out since quitting. I had to give it some time and be committed to finding other remedies/solutions.

Every medication I've ever been prescribed caused serious side-effects for me and I could never stick with them due to that. I was on the same tricyclic that Dee uses for years because I had to be due to migraines, but that was the only antidepressant that I ever stuck with - and it was only because I had to or be disabled by pain. It was a small dose, as well. I had a few drugs I really had to take for migraines.

All the newer SSRIs made me feel too weird to stay on. I just couldn't stick with them, but there are other types.

When I went through menopause, my migraines stopped and I was able to address my pile o' pills. I got off all my prescription meds a couple years before I quit drinking. Weaned off benzos and other anti-anxiety meds. I was tired of the solution being a pill. I started feeling a lot better. When I quit drinking I was determined to not start on any more meds, after all the grief they had caused me.

So that's what I did. I felt pretty awful/sad/mad/sick for a few months but I think that's pretty common with early sobriety. I did keep reading up on things that I felt I needed to address about my coping skills, and I kept my focus on exercise and nutrition and staying out of situations that were too stressful for me. Today at 4.5 years sober I feel like I cope very well with life and that my past depression periods were brought on by understandably difficult life events like divorce, job loss, chronic illness, grief etc. I did not want to turn to medication, and I haven't. Everything appears to be working as designed.

Only you know your own best path forward.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes. I did it, and it saved my life to be honest.

When I quit in May the first week was ok, but mentally I was an absolute mess. You can read through my post history. It was causing relationship problems, life problems, family problems etc.

I was suicidal, angry, agitated, and emotional. I went to my doctor after calling emergency services because my head couldn't cope. I wanted to die.

From there I got pu ton 100mg sertraline. Then upped to 150mg. I've been on them since, but I've lowered to 100mg. Planning to move down to 50mg and then come off them. Straight withdrawal is dangerous.

I've also switched to a raw fruit only diet which is helping me feel so much better in myself.

I would advocate the use of them if need be. You can always come off them when you're feeling better. Depression medication is the lesser evil of the two and will help you.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm also on an old tricylic antidepressant. For me, it was key to have the depression diagnosed and treated. I had been depressed since my teenage years. For me, it levels the playing field. I still have to work at staying positive and I have some down times, but the difference now is that I know they won't last. So, I have taken the AD for years and will continue to. I will not allow myself to fall into the dark hole of depression again because I fear I would not survive.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder that folks are welcome to share personal experience but medical advice is not allowed.

'I did this' rather than 'you should do this', please.

Dee
SR
Old 10-24-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I fought depression for decades without meds. My doctor was confused why after starting the meds I was so tired. He said normally people had more energy. For me I could finally relax because I wasn’t hanging on for dear life over the depressional cliff. Eventually, I did have more energy.