Notices

Back again

Old 10-21-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I am very discouraged but I have to post. I’ve been seriously drinking and like a fool have been doing everything imaginable to try to moderate. DOES NOT WORK. I will always get drunk. I have started journaling as I reflect on my problem. Looking back on all my history on SR and the progression of my alcoholic drinking. And I am rereading “Under the Influence”. I have a stomach pain that has started and I am certain it’s from drinking. I think about so many here who have said it took them many tries to finally get sober. Thank you for saying that. I am starting again. Tomorrow which is Monday will be another day 1. I feel terrible and I deserve it.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It took me a very long time to realise I couldn’t moderate. Suddenly, the penny dropped and I woke up to the fact moderation is painful and difficult. My brain hurt just trying to moderate! Once you free yourself from the prison of alcohol, you will feel so much better.

My last binge before getting sober was horrible. I felt so depressed, guilty, anxious - you name it. I’d been there before, but somehow I managed to use the feelings this time to really wake me up. I stayed close to this site and took it one day at a time. You can do the same. Stop now and things will get better - that much I can guarantee.

Something has just clicked into place with me this time. I’m only 5 weeks sober and know that I have to work hard every day at staying sober. But do you know what? Even that is easier to do than try to moderate or try to deal with the withdrawals and mental trauma time and time again.

I have dreadful health anxiety when I’m drinking as well. Every single ache and pain is worse. If you’re still worried about your stomach - see your doctor. Most people find that some distance from alcohol eases lots of physical symptoms but always best to be on the safe side.

Take care xx
Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bless you, I can see from your old posts you’ve been here a while. My paltry advice of 5 weeks seems so silly now, but you really CAN do this x
Old 10-21-2018, 11:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Oregongirlsite - I merged your two threads into one here

Its true it took me many tried to get sober and stay that way but really once I committed to not drinking again, changed my lifestyle and changed the way I dealt with situations and emotions, I've stayed sober for good.

I really believe you can do it too.

Take the option of drinking again permanently off the table

D
Old 10-22-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Day 1 is the most important day of them all. Keep trying. Most if not all of us are stuck in the cycle for a long time... You can do it and be confident you will because one day you won't have the choice.

Make it stick this time.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi .. when I quit I quit ...I never tried to moderate as I knew I couldn't do it ..when I stopped drinking my doctor asked me could I perhaps reduce my intake of alcohol. .I could have said yeah ..I'll try ..and I'd still be on that terrible path of destruction..my answer was NO ... I know for me it wouldn't EVER WORK ..All the luck in the world to you ...I believe you can do this
cara ❤
Old 10-22-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have relapsed so many times I can't count. I have had many periods of somewhat 'decent' abstinence. Only to go back, put myself and others through hell. But it is what it is....and no doubt I have learned a tremendous amount. I'm just glad I didn't die or kill someone along the way.

I had to smash the idea that alcohol will ever work. Its a complete lie. It will not 'help' whatever it is I'm feeling. And it will most definitely make things worse. The rationalization and justification I used to keep drinking is staggering. I had to face reality, grow up and simply allow life and my feelings to happen. I had to go through them....as opposed to constantly trying to circumvent them.

I also had to commit to a way of thinking that worked for me. Not one that I was told I should think, but one that I could truly get behind. Develop a plan that includes mind, body and spirit and stick to it.

You can do this. But you have to really, really want it.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tarpaulin View Post
Bless you, I can see from your old posts you’ve been here a while. My paltry advice of 5 weeks seems so silly now, but you really CAN do this x
You must NEVER apologize for wonderful advice and weeks sober!! Day One here AGAIN and I thank you Tarpaulin!!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Oregongirlsite - I merged your two threads into one here

Its true it took me many tried to get sober and stay that way but really once I committed to not drinking again, changed my lifestyle and changed the way I dealt with situations and emotions, I've stayed sober for good.

I really believe you can do it too.

Take the option of drinking again permanently off the table

D
thanks D for fixing my post problem. You know from before (I think) that I had many years sober. Problem was those sober years gave me an illusion that I wasn’t an alcoholic. What a sick joke. Well, as I am seeing it clearly for what it is...how it gets worse...🙈. Anyway, thanks for being you and maintaining SR.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Day 1 is the most important day of them all. Keep trying. Most if not all of us are stuck in the cycle for a long time... You can do it and be confident you will because one day you won't have the choice.

Make it stick this time.
thanks Vman.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caralara144 View Post
Hi .. when I quit I quit ...I never tried to moderate as I knew I couldn't do it ..when I stopped drinking my doctor asked me could I perhaps reduce my intake of alcohol. .I could have said yeah ..I'll try ..and I'd still be on that terrible path of destruction..my answer was NO ... I know for me it wouldn't EVER WORK ..All the luck in the world to you ...I believe you can do this
cara ❤
you are a smart lady. To know moderation thinking is a lie. I have to let it soak in my fool’s brain. It’s been getting worse.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

perhaps see a doc about the stomach pains

support to you
Old 10-23-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

I was definitely the queen of moderation attempts. I was somehow convinced that "this time," would be the one when I finally was successful with moderating, I never was.

I am getting close to the three year mark, and this site has been one of my biggest supports. I still read and post daily, and in the beginning I found myself here a lot. I have also found exercise, especially walking outdoors, and mindfulness to be very big parts of my recovery.

You can do this. I hope Day two is a great one for you!!

❤️Delilah
Old 10-23-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome back! It took me a year and a half to embrace sobriety after I found this site! I finally did. I know you can too.

I hope you feel better soon. Those early days are rough but as you know it gets better!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement!! Day 2 and I am feeling much better.