Notices

Almost 6 months sober and I've found my new role model

Old 10-21-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 6 months sober and I've found my new role model

I've made it to almost 6 months. I was going to actually wait the 6 months to share the good news but I've recently been on an enlightening road. Things are starting to fall in place and I am consciously making decisions that will affect my future, well being, and happiness. I'm making painful decisions and pushing myself.

I started connecting with nature both spiritually and physically (I'm not having sex with plants btw lmfao). I'm working on doing the garden so I can get a greenhouse in there and start growing some fruits.

I'm also making a decision to switch to a raw fruit based diet. I have a predisposition to Cancer, and have already had Cancer, but I'm hoping if I can make some changes now I can reverse the effects.

One guy did it. I only discovered him earlier today after researching some fruit based meal plans. Turns out he was a drug addict and alcoholic up until the age of 31 and was in terrible shape. He's now an ultraman champion in peak physical fitness. Amazing and incredible story that gives us all hope! You can read his story here: https://www.thefix.com/content/overw...holic-ultraman

I'm filled with so much positivity at the moment. Physically I'm not very active, but I've spent 6 months "detoxing" basically and allowing my body to recover from the years of alcohol abuse. My body is ready for change now and I've actively started to make changes.

Things take time and Rome wasn't built in a day but the important thing to remember is you have a plan for change and you give yourself as much time to rest as you require.

I've detoxed the alcohol, now I need to detox from the poison I've been putting in my body - i.e. awful food. I'm by no means a physically fit person. I eat crap and exercise sometimes.

I'll raise my glass of water to the future. I hope you guys are all doing well.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on six months sober! Best to you in your new diet.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months! Day 183 for me. Nutrition makes all the difference. I've been on paleo/Mediterranean diet for the 5 or 6 months along with juicing everyday. I cut back on the fruit juices because of the sugars. I prefer greens because there high vibe.

Enjoy!

Be careful
Old 10-21-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on six months sober! Best to you in your new diet.
I didn't think I'd ever get this far. This forum has been very good to me since I've been here and I always thank the hard working members like yourself who are always on hand to help at absolutely no cost.

I feel like I owe something back to the community so I hope my posts are at least able to inspire one person to make changes and remain alcohol free.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by apollo986 View Post
Congrats on 6 months! Day 183 for me. Nutrition makes all the difference. I've been on paleo/Mediterranean diet for the 5 or 6 months along with juicing everyday. I cut back on the fruit juices because of the sugars. I prefer greens because there high vibe.

Enjoy!

Be careful
Congratulations buddy. I'm 170 so I'm just inching behind you. How have you found the past 6 months?
Old 10-21-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months! I always think a cool diet or fitness program is a great way to support recovery. I've been thinking about going fully vegetarian again for a while....vegan is a little to much for me. I love acai bowls and any kind of grain bowl with lots of veggies etc. Its comfort food. And then I crave steak so what's a girl to do? Have a steak. Then back to vegetarian. Haha!
Old 10-21-2018, 02:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Congrats on 6 months! I always think a cool diet or fitness program is a great way to support recovery. I've been thinking about going fully vegetarian again for a while....vegan is a little to much for me. I love acai bowls and any kind of grain bowl with lots of veggies etc. Its comfort food. And then I crave steak so what's a girl to do? Have a steak. Then back to vegetarian. Haha!
Everything in moderation is ok ... except alcohol. And drugs. I've never tried Acai. Was always put off them by the constant advertisements on the Internet in the early 00's promoting them as a super food in capsules. But, I do know their very good for you I've just never been able to find them in my country.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear 16 years drunk, You sound great to me. I can relate to you and the way you talk and think. Been drinking and getting wasted for a few decades but have been clean for almost 10 months. Have health issues high BP , hypothyroidism, pre diabetes and prostate cancer. I was seeing a doctor and fooling myself, getting drunk 5 days a week and taking all the meds. No surprise I was not improving. I quit drinking Jan 8 and have not smoked in 18 months. But I have not seen a doctor in a year. Not on any meds feel pretty good but tired.Planning to get back with a doctor at the 1 year clean date with a clean body and mind. Am l a fool for not seeing a MD I don't know. A great diet sounds smart. I am 60. God bless and thanks.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

16 years: I enjoyed your thread and you clarifying your relationship with nature...lol. I’m at 4 months and am starting to dabble in food based healing. I’m currently in the research phase. Plant-based, possibly vegan, piques my interest right now. It seems that there are many healing properties from that type of diet.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Cheers and congrats on 5 months and some days. Every days is a day to get better and be better.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! Sounds like everyone is on the right track on this thread. As a nurse, the food that we put into our bodies really DOES matter.

For the most part I try to buy organic when I can, but sometimes finances get in the way.

I also still love Doritos once in a while, but very rarely. 😳

And even more rarely, American fast food should be an emergency only.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 6 months

D
Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Great to hear you doing so well 16!! I have started to make lots of juices with greens and a little fruit to start with that I am reducing each day. Initially the green juices can be a bit of a freak out for the tastebuds but a little fruit smooths out the flavour. Ginger, Beetroot and Carrot are my favorite tipple at the moment and many athletes use Beetroot juice as part of their daily regime aparantly. I must say that cutting out any processed food, eating mostly plant based foods and juicing has made a huge difference to my health. I feel energised, clean from the inside out, have better sleep, better skin, less bloating and lethargy. Best of luck and again, great to hear you sounding so positive and motivated!! xx
Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Congrats on 6 months!

A raw fruit diet is a fruitarian diet. That's the most restrictive diet. The guy in your link is not a fruitarian. Aside from fruitarian being ultra difficult, it can be dangerous. Bare minimum you'll need to supplement with the standard vegan supps, B12, D3, Omega-3's, and you should get your doctor in the mix and run labs periodically for all micros. Also the sugar is through the roof. Natural sugars are better than processed because of the package they come in, but when you're eating a ton of natural sugars, you're taking in a lot of sugar.

You should consult a doc before attempting an extremist diet. I'm not being a Debbie Downer either. I'm a vegan, which most people think is an extreme diet, but fruitarian IS an extremist diet.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah I don't know about the supplements. I just use the frozen acai berry to make a base for a acai bowl. You can google if you don't know what I'm talking about. Its really more of a healthy treat as fruit is very high natural sugar. But its yummy....better than ice cream I guess. You can just as easily use blueberries for the base. You're right...its a trendy thing. We have places that serve acai bowls and charge crazy prices. I have a teenage daughter who just thinks they are so cool....so being able to make them at home (not as cool but still yummy) saves money.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months! That's a big milestone.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been trying to drink smoothies every morning.

Here's a quick recipe:
-Spinach (half-blender full)
-Bananas (2)
-Protein powder (2 scoops)
-Frozen strawberries (about a cup/ 1.5 cups)
-Coconut milk (16oz)

Toss this stuff in a blender in that order and stir with a stick to get the protein to mix in better, fill 2 shaker bottles, and you have a breakfast!

Tastes like a strawberry-banana shake!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dcg View Post
Congrats on 6 months!

A raw fruit diet is a fruitarian diet. That's the most restrictive diet. The guy in your link is not a fruitarian. Aside from fruitarian being ultra difficult, it can be dangerous. Bare minimum you'll need to supplement with the standard vegan supps, B12, D3, Omega-3's, and you should get your doctor in the mix and run labs periodically for all micros. Also the sugar is through the roof. Natural sugars are better than processed because of the package they come in, but when you're eating a ton of natural sugars, you're taking in a lot of sugar.

You should consult a doc before attempting an extremist diet. I'm not being a Debbie Downer either. I'm a vegan, which most people think is an extreme diet, but fruitarian IS an extremist diet.
I've researched all of this before making any decision. I've spoke with many people who eat a raw fruit based diet. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

The processed foods, and the meat, we put into our bodies is what causes deficiencies and problems. It's been said, and there's evidence, that humans are fruitivors. Once your body adjusts there will be no deficiencies. This isn't really a fad diet, it's well researched.

I've done 2 days with pure fruit and water. I feel great to be honest. Sometimes you just have to follow your instincts and let nature heal you.

Humans have survived all this time without processed food, GM food, and steroid fed animals. The reason humans have problems today with nutrition and diet is because of the junk we put in.

I really don't want to get into a discussion about it though. My mind is made up and I'm actively trying this. If it fails, I learned a lesson. Sometimes you have to put your foot forward and trust your body.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
I've been trying to drink smoothies every morning.

Here's a quick recipe:
-Spinach (half-blender full)
-Bananas (2)
-Protein powder (2 scoops)
-Frozen strawberries (about a cup/ 1.5 cups)
-Coconut milk (16oz)

Toss this stuff in a blender in that order and stir with a stick to get the protein to mix in better, fill 2 shaker bottles, and you have a breakfast!

Tastes like a strawberry-banana shake!
Making this for lunch! I have all of that in except the spinach, but as I'm fruit only that's cool.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 145 sober. I am definitely eating healthier and now have time to exercise regularly. I have lost nearly 30 lbs in my almost 5 months sober.