Notices

Day 3.5 - Proud

Old 10-19-2018, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3.5 - Proud

I made through going out for "drinks" with the team in NYC. I'm staying in the heart of Manhattan right by Times Square. I was asked if I drank alcohol or why I wasn't drinking and I defaulted to a do drink but not now. As I watched everyone I was with have one drink then saunter off to go home I was really happy that I chose that diet coke. I decided to walk around a bit then go back to my hotel and watch some TV. I normally would've gone to a bar by myself which could be fun but if I play the tape until the end this is what it would look like. I'm waking up in a drunk/hungover fog most likely in my clothes from the night before and hopefully in my hotel and hopefully alone. I would be late, I would look sloppy and probably smell from the night before. I would get nothing from the training I had to do early and wouldn't have picked up on an assignment that I was just given. I would be sitting here praying for the day to end so I could go to the airport to drink MORE. I would land drunk and stumble off to the cab stand where I would promptly go home and get a couple more bottles of wine. I would drink until I passed out and smoke cigarette after cigarette (I don't normally smoke) and probably send out or call random people which I won't remember. Wake up Saturday to start the day out drinking all over again until the weekend is gone and Monday arrives as I'm in a panic over not accomplishing anything. Might work from home and continue to drink or go into the office having not showered since Thursday, most likely. I would be doing a half ass job, exhausted, dirty and just waiting to get home for another drink.

It feels good to break the cycle. I know I'm early and there is much more to go through but the withdrawals have ebbed aside from the insomnia, bit of muscle cramping, night sweats and slight headache. I would really like the night sweats to stop as they are really uncomfortable but I have to go through it.

I am happy that I have a space to unload my thoughts. This journey isn't easy and only another alcoholic can understand the importance of making it through drinking situations as I have over the last few days from work.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand, and congratulations on making it through. Good job of playing the tape. I'm glad it worked.
Congratulations on 3.5 days, and remember you never have to drink again.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad that you're feeling good and doing well. Breaking the routines and habits is a big part of recovery.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That’s really great Janis, well done you! With a clear head you can see exactly what will happen if you take a drink , then it’s repeat weekend after weekend. So glad your enjoying NYC . Have a lovely weekend !
Old 10-19-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi
great news that you made it through. I also smoked when I drank (only day 3 here). Smoking makes me feel so awful and drinking does too.
Congratulations
SeaSlug
Old 10-19-2018, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done Janis, you really did play that tape to the end. My tape would have run a very similar way.

The sweats will go I looked on them as getting rid of all the toxins I had filled my body with and strangely quite liked that.

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going, Janis!
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like a test you passed with flying colors. Well done.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for reminding me of the "play the tape forward" tip. I've been fighting cravings all night and could use the extra defense!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you, Janis. Well done using your recovery tools to get through. Keep going!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job tonight! Keep it up - it keeps getting better, more real, usually easier, and always worth it.