SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/433259-day-2-a.html)

Tetrax 10-17-2018 03:39 PM

Day 2

Hi all, so basically after doing a 'sober November' last year I naively thought I could then moderate after that... I did (with some difficulty) for a few months but have been getting drunk pretty much every evening since June. As it's now spilled over to work problems (not for the first time) I've decided to really try quitting for good. I know I'm an alcoholic now. I've seen it creep up to scary levels these past few months.

Basically this evening has been incredibly difficult (anxiety, racing thoughts, restlessness, flirting with the idea of drinking now or in the future). I know it's all the disease and very early on but how long does it typically take to begin to feel calmer??? (Btw it's near bedtime here now and I think I'm gonna make it through sober today.)

Cheers for reading

SeaSlug 10-17-2018 04:02 PM

Just wanted to reach out as I am on Day 1. Myself, I know I will better every second that I don't drink. Even if I don't feel well at the moment I am doing what I need to do to get to a better place. Stay the course. SeaSlug

Dee74 10-17-2018 04:03 PM

Welcome back Tetrax :)

it'll take more than a few days probably. Being anxious and even panicked in day 2 is par for the course unfortunately.

Hopefully you'll start to feel better soon.

Jules714 10-17-2018 04:37 PM

I feel like day 4/5 was a turn around. I lived on water, walking the dog and showers. The exercise helped me with the anxiety.
You are doing great. Perseverance is key.
Jules

Hevyn 10-17-2018 05:47 PM

Congratulations on your Day 2, Tetrax. We know how rough those early days are.

After 3 days I began to feel better. We go through many phases as we get free of it & begin to heal. Be kind & patient with yourself - and don't be discouraged. You're doing a wonderful thing.

bexxed 10-20-2018 12:04 AM

How are you doing, Tetrax?

Soberwolf 10-20-2018 01:35 AM

Nice work on day 2 you got this

Tetrax 10-20-2018 06:12 AM

Hey thanks for your supportive messages. On Day 5 now, woke up a bit panicky. Got some work issues, and not sure about going to an AA meeting later. I went to this particular Saturday night one about a year ago and it was SO busy. I don't like busy...

thomas11 10-20-2018 07:22 AM

After a bender I usually came back to earth on Day 3. Day 2 was typically worse than Day 1.

Dee74 10-20-2018 04:18 PM

did you end up hitting the meeting?

D

Anna 10-20-2018 04:50 PM

Getting to Day 5 is great! I hope you continue to read here and to post.

Tetrax 10-20-2018 05:14 PM

Hey so no I didn't go to this meeting, decided to just get in plenty of junk food and veg out - which I'd denied myself so far - to get me through (which it did: burgers then ice cream, sublime). Felt good in general this evening, no urges to speak of. But still I will look at next week's meeting schedule and maybe attend a likely quieter one.

Hevyn 10-20-2018 06:13 PM

Day 5 is wonderful, Tetrax. Keep it going.