Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome SeaSlug- You'll find SS to be very helpful and supportive. Expect ups and downs but know that it gets better and better.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Hi SeaSlug,

You’ve come to the right place to find comrades!
Congrats on day 1!
Hope to see you in the October class.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's wonderful to have you with us, SeaSlug. I think you'll really enjoy being part of this encouraging group. I never felt alone once I came here.

I hope your Day 1 hasn't been too difficult. Congratulations on making the decision to have a better life. We don't need that poison.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 10-18-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going well today, SeaSlug.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hope it's going well today, SeaSlug.
Hi there! So nice of you to ask!! I'm doing ok. I'm busy at work and checking in here. Have sleep issues. Will take time. I can breath today. Terrible anxiety about breathing yesterday. Felt horrible. The whole unhealthy cycle of binge drinking always involves tons of smoking and it really takes its toll on me.
This weekend I stay sober. Next week I look for low cost therapy. I really need some help digging into my issues. I come from a family of alcoholics and I know I need some help working through this and developing coping skills. It really sad but I'm not sure I have them to sustain.
Gotta start somewhere! Hope you are doing well today!!! Peace and happiness to you
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome SS. Jon some newcomer threads. Read lots, post lots, share lots..and LOTS!
Support to you.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sea Slug! I’m 41 and have a birthday also at the end of December. I finally quit drinking for good in August of 2016. This site was instrumental in that. I can’t stress enough how valuable it was/is for me.

I joined the “class of August” when I quit. I highly recommend joining the class of October, and posting/reading here often. Therapy is also a very good idea. You seem to have some good framework for a plan, which is the difference it takes to be successful getting sober.

I also love the user name.

bexxed
Old 10-19-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Welcome, Sea Slug! I’m 41 and have a birthday also at the end of December. I finally quit drinking for good in August of 2016. This site was instrumental in that. I can’t stress enough how valuable it was/is for me.

I joined the “class of August” when I quit. I highly recommend joining the class of October, and posting/reading here often. Therapy is also a very good idea. You seem to have some good framework for a plan, which is the difference it takes to be successful getting sober.

I also love the user name.

bexxed
Thank you bexxed and Phoenix. Day three and just feeling glad it's Friday.
I used to go to Al-Anon and therapy. Then I abandoned my own recovery there and became an alcoholic like others in my family. I could hear this little voice in my head... don't let this happen to you...but I didn't listen so here I am. All my tools neglected and very angry at myself. Must move forward and I definitely need some therapy to work things out.

Thank you again!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi
I'm also using a stop smoking app in addition to this forum right now. It sends me messages of support and healthy reminders. It just messaged me to pass on alcohol because it is known to trigger smoking! Good deal.

I'm a little lonely feeling tonight although I don't want to be with people necessarily as I am tired from working all week. I'm just trying not to ruminate about things because it will just make me sad. Things will be ok. Take care!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:52 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

hang in there sea slug

D
Old 10-20-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank you! Hanging in there. Watching Halloween movies on TV. Got a brisk walk in! Woot for that! Breathing deeply and focusing on the positives today. Steady ahead.

SeaSlug
Old 10-21-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday to you
day four. Have a stop smoking app helping me and it tells me the positive changes my body is going through daily. Had a jog/walk this am and now decorating for Halloween. Shoring up for the work week...gonna get a good night's sleep.
SeaSlug
Old 10-21-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy Sunday, SeaSlug. You're doing a good job of staying distracted & busy - it's best in the early days. Your attitude is great - you're doing this!
Old 10-22-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thank you, Hevyn. Thank you everyone for being here. Day 6 today.
I used to smoke in the middle of the night when I could not sleep. I wake up now but I am not going to do that. Then I would get health anxiety. I'm not doing this anymore. It really is a mind thing and I have to change how I think. Starting to look for a therapist and it's overwhelming. Slow and sure ahead!
Old 10-22-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good for you! Therapy was one of the things that helped me so much (and stil does). For me, long term sobriety required some major shifts in my thinking and behaving, not just a motivation to stop drinking. Stay strong!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Fearlessat50

Love your name! Really at a turning point for myself and asking myself who do I want to be. It's time for change. Am very nervous about the holidays already.... staying close here!

SeaSlug
Old 10-22-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Seaslug. I think you are doing so well !!! Congratulations. Hang out here with us - it really helped me so much . I am so grateful for SR.

Keep at it
Old 10-23-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Welcome
I didn't like the drinking me much either.

You will really enjoy getting to know the sober you on the other hand
Old 10-23-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you Ayers and Hawkeye13!

Day 7 steady ahead.

Anyone ever used an online therapy like TalkSpace? I have been to F2F therapy before but the online tool might be a good idea for me now. Finding a therapist is proving challenging and $$$. Thinking the convenience of online might be good now as I am overwhelmed. Staying strong but honestly I am overwhelmed!