Need help but don’t know where to begin

Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great point Zebra1275!
Old 10-14-2018, 05:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DragonZ1313

Great advice here, The one thing I'll add is although you haven't been staying sober on weekends doesn't mean you can't - you just haven't yet

Its not likely to be a fun weekend but if you can get through the first one, it gets easier

D
Old 10-14-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Dragon
I was a weekend binger and had been since I was in college (30 plus years ago). One day, seven months ago, I felt a strange pain in my back and for some reason I was convinced it was alcohol related. I decided to quit for three weeks to see if the pain went away ( I doubt I had gone more than five days prior to this since I started drinking). During those three weeks, I read a lot of books by people who quit drinking, read a lot of posts here and it helped me see that my drinking was far from normal and I was able to recognize that I needed to quit for good. I can't say what will work for you but maybe reading my story will help you see it is possible. You will miss it in the beginning but it is doable and it will get better.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ran a 10k yesterday and went to bed sober as I do every Sunday. (So this isn’t an accomplishment for me). The true test will be on Friday evening after i get home from work. But it’s unbeliable how much better I feel. Yesterday morning I was in such a bad place. Depression and anxiety was at an all time high and everything literally seemed hopeless after my usual weekend binge. I was convinced I was dying after drinking an entire bottle of vodka and smoking a pack of cigs. I started looking up liver cancer and was convinced I had it as well. Sometimes after my binge weekends I find myself saying “thank God it’s Monday”. Life will be normal now.... at least for a 5 day period. I know people hate mondays but I love them for this reason alone. I always have. Reading everyone’s posts on here does truly help. I haven’t made a plan yet for Friday evening but I have time still. Maybe AA on Fridays and Saturdays would be best for me, but I’m still not sure how I feel about that. I’m not very outgoing and i don’t enjoy being around new people. I had the best nights sleep ever yesterday. It’s amazing what a workout, a day sober, and sleep can do. But like I said earlier this is not an accomplishment for me. However, I do know how some of you feel when you talk about your sobriety. I hope everyone has a happy and sober week and stays strong!
Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life is good

If you can make it to some AA meetings this week that might put the AA meetings on Friday and Saturday into a whole new perspective. There was a big really good change up in how I viewed 12 step meetings once I got the first several in.

One day at a time. Kudos on the running & posting here! Good healthy activities can help, even the ones already in play.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I agree with Dee: you can stay sober on weekends, you just haven't done it yet. Don't drink, no matter what. It gets better with more sober time. Expect some ups and downs at first. But if you stay sober, it will get better.