Notices

I think I hit rock bottom

Old 10-14-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It was the panic and anxiety that finally pushed me to quit, and it's been amazing how much better life has been once I stepped off that hamster wheel of drinking/anxiety. Congrats on 3 days!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you made it through the weekend! Now it's the start of a wonderful week; I hope you make it a sober one. I used to be jealous of those with long term sobriety and never thought I could achieve it. I was wrong; through lots of hard work, a good plan and the help of SR I have 2 years 10 months. Wishing you all the best--you can do this!
Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How are you today, Giggler? Make it another sober day!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Starting day 4! Back to work today. I haven't gotten much sleep the last 2 nights but I still feel really good.

Thanks everyone for the support, today is going to be a good day!
Old 10-15-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job on reaching Day 4 - things will keep getting better.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Keep going Giggler! Your story is so similar to mine and I'm yet to get a good run of sobriety going. I'm so scared of withdrawal and I'm so scared of that initial anxiety/panic, sweats, heart thumping that I'm surely going to experience during detox. It's kind of a weird feeling, the minute I pick up the booze the anxiety/panic subsides. And the worst part is that I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, anxiety and panic disorder and I know that the booze makes it all worse! It's a vicious circle that I need to get out of ASAP.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dig12 View Post
Keep going Giggler! Your story is so similar to mine and I'm yet to get a good run of sobriety going. I'm so scared of withdrawal and I'm so scared of that initial anxiety/panic, sweats, heart thumping that I'm surely going to experience during detox. It's kind of a weird feeling, the minute I pick up the booze the anxiety/panic subsides. And the worst part is that I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, anxiety and panic disorder and I know that the booze makes it all worse! It's a vicious circle that I need to get out of ASAP.
I know what you mean and it is scary. I can tell you everyday it gets better. You might go to the doctor and get something to help. It's day 5 and the fear is gone so is almost all the other side effects. I feel like I'm in control of my life again and you can too. Wishing you all the best!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and congratulations on making it to day 5!

Now, some words if advice. Just because you made it to day 5 and feel great, do not let your guard down.

When I was trying to quit I can’t tell you how many times I made it 10 - 20 days, only to become complacent and think I was cured. Then I would go off on a 3 day bender, and then go through the agonizing process of withdrawal, and then be “cured” for another 10 - 20 days.

I did this for a year, I just couldn’t stay sober long term. I got so damn desperate I decided to try AA. Wow, was that ever a good decision. I met some people face to face who had gone through what I was going through. I was able to get some real world guidance and a plan.

That was almost 9 years ago, and my life is exponentially better. Bottom line, don’t try to get sober by yourself, it’s really difficult. This website is great, but face to face support can really add to your sobriety plan.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

^^^^That is spot on. We all need help and not just at the beginning! I can tell you that at 1001 days (it's just past midnight here EST) - I need and treasure ALL the support and resources I have to live a life in recovery - my needs and circumstances have changed throughout my sobriety, but knowing that I never have to drink and having ways to do that, is priceless.