Notices

Acid flashbacks and how to deal with them

Old 10-12-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acid flashbacks and how to deal with them

A flashback at 3am last week set me on the path to a four day bender.

There’s a chance another will happen eventually. How should I deal with it. Already on medication.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RG

I've never to my knowledge had an acid flashback, but I think no matter what the trigger is being it acid flashbacks, PTSD, OCD, vivid nightmares, anxiety or whatever we have to learn new ways of coping with those things.

We have to stop using the bottle as a universal tool. The bottle, at best can only deal with the symptoms, and not the cause.

I used to say a lot of things made me drink - now nothing makes me drink. I still struggle with some of the issues I had then but I've learned new better and healthier ways to deal with them.

You say you're on meds - have you seen or thought about seeing a counsellor or therapist to help you deal with this maybe?

D
Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi RG

I've never to my knowledge had an acid flashback, but I think no matter what the trigger is being it acid flashbacks, PTSD, OCD, vivid nightmares, anxiety or whatever we have to learn new ways of coping with those things.

We have to stop using the bottle as a universal tool. The bottle, at best can only deal with the symptoms, and not the cause.

I used to say a lot of things made me drink - now nothing makes me drink. I still struggle with some of the issues I had then but I've learned new better and healthier ways to deal with them.

You say you're on meds - have you seen or thought about seeing a counsellor or therapist to help you deal with this maybe?

D
Been on meds 8 years. Antidepressant and antipsychotic. Been seeing therapist for 8 years. They had no advice to offer about acid flashbacks.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You take my point tho - there's nothing so horrible drinking on it won't make it worse?

8 years is a long time.

If what you're doing right now isn't working re the flashbacks maybe a second opinion is called for?

D
Old 10-12-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rojogonzo View Post
Been on meds 8 years. Antidepressant and antipsychotic. Been seeing therapist for 8 years. They had no advice to offer about acid flashbacks.
Nothing makes us drink. No one's problems are so unique that they have to drink. Ever.

Compulsion is compulsion, and if you give in to the thoughts compelling you that there is a reason to use or drink, you will. But they are no more unique than the thoughts anyone else has. They are just thoughts, they do not have the power to control you - you do.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calmerwaters View Post
Nothing makes us drink.
I respectfully disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
re the flashbacks maybe a second opinion is called for?

D
I have consulted a psychiatrist and a licensed therapist, but they admitted they knew little about the phenomenon. Other forums aside from here were also at a loss.

What worries me is that the flashback was a carbon copy of the original experience - all the same psychedelia and physical effects and after effects.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing makes us drink. No one's problems are so unique that they have to drink. Ever.
when hundreds, thousands or even millions of folks have the same experience it's not really just an opinion though, yeah?

It seems like you want responses specifically from folks with acid flashback experience though so I'll bow out.

You may find more experience with this type of thing in our Substance Abuse forum.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

Hope you find a way to not let this 'make you drink' anymore

D
Old 10-12-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You posted here I assume because you asked about how to deal with it in the future. I gave you the solution to deal with it. If you choose to ignore the solution to solve your problem, that is your choice. But I can assure you, your thoughts are no more powerful than my thoughts. They are just thoughts. You do have a choice. That is the trick of addiction - telling us we are compelled to follow through. We are not. Every single thing we do is a choice.

And here are my words (in full) again.

Compulsion is compulsion, and if you give in to the thoughts compelling you that there is a reason to use or drink, you will. But they are no more unique than the thoughts anyone else has. They are just thoughts, they do not have the power to control you - you do.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So simple. Who knew
Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calmerwaters View Post
You posted here I assume because you asked about how to deal with it in the future. I gave you the solution to deal with it. If you choose to ignore the solution to solve your problem, that is your choice. But I can assure you, your thoughts are no more powerful than my thoughts. They are just thoughts. You do have a choice. That is the trick of addiction - telling us we are compelled to follow through. We are not. Every single thing we do is a choice.

And here are my words (in full) again.

Thank you all for reminding me of something very important to me.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you looked into HPPD (Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder)? Does that sound similar to what you experience? I'm sure it's tough to find psychiatrists who are well versed on LSD and its effects, since there are so few clinical studies. But perhaps bringing the term HPPD to his attention might help him find resources for you.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by orderfororder View Post
Have you looked into HPPD (Hallucinogen persisting perception disorder)? Does that sound similar to what you experience? I'm sure it's tough to find psychiatrists who are well versed on LSD and its effects, since there are so few clinical studies. But perhaps bringing the term HPPD to his attention might help him find resources for you.
This is mosty visual though from what I understand.

LSD flashbacks are kind of a myth tbh. That's not to say that they don't happen but rather it's not the scare tactics that are pushed on people in anti-drug campaigns. Effects that can be described as a flashback do happen in a small percentage of people who have used the drug.

Some people will see patterns and things like tracers when a car went by but not have the whole hallucinogenic experience.

Some people who use psychedelics to the extreme can get to a point where they can turn it off and on without the drug. They've seen what the drug can show them and then turn it on at will. These people have moved passed the need to use the drug and stop using it. (it's not a full blown trip but more how they understand the experience and can feel what it would be like. Pattern recognition is part of human cognitive function. It's possible to learn to see the things these drugs show you without using the drug. This is also considered a flashback state. It's been a looong time but in my younger years I did extreme amounts of lsd and dmt. I'm actually at this point.

-=-=

This part could be important to rojogonzo:

In some research on this SSRIs can cause issues with LSD flashbacks:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3096346/
Old 10-13-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

acid flashbacks are real.
I call them " frequent flier miles"
I have been sober from alcohol for three plus years and lsd since 1994.
while the chemicals in alcohol are kept in the liver (long release - etg test for the products produced, detectable in urine) and the bloodstream/stomach ( detectable via breathalyzer), lsd can sit in the spinal fluid and be released years after... coming out with exercise or stress.
I am not a doctor, this is only what I have experienced.
if the flashbacks are causing you to make changes in your life to avoid them, you should see a qualified professional. imo.
but they will just prescribe more drugs.. so if it is not affecting your life, I would just ride them thro.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is just me, but I took LSD hundreds of times. When I was coming down after 12 or more hours, I would pop another one to go back up. Even my druggie friends couldn't believe I could take so much and keep functioning. After quitting, I would have moments of flashes, etc., but no real hallucinations. Don't see how your flashbacks would lead to a bender since one has nothing to do with the other. They are totally different highs. A drinking high will not replace an LSD high. Not even close, so I think your bender has nothing to do with your experiences with LSD. Suggest you see a doctor to see what is going on with you. John
Old 10-14-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
waking down

rojogonzo, I'm surprised no one has asked about the reason you are taking antipsychotic medication, and whether that could be part of it. Hallucinations, distortions, and even delusions experienced on acid can be quite similar to psychotic experiences for those who may or may not have ever taken hallucinogens.

That said, I can say my flashbacks (if that's what they are) have come in at least two forms. One form was very unpleasant, resembling panic attacks I had experienced after taking psylicibin, and which included panic symptoms like shortness of breath, intense fear, racing heart... in addition to visual and auditory hallucinations. The flashbacks were almost identical to the initial experience while high, and literally all I could do was lay there and wait it out while telling myself it will pass. The first couple of times were terrifying, but once after a while I was able to just lean into it and say, damn, here we go again. These lasted up to an hour, and left me shaken and wanting to just sleep. It's possible they were some form of seizure, actually, but I didn't convulse. It's been quite some time since I've had one of these panic flashbacks, and come to think of it, not one has occurred since I quit cannabis and alcohol almost five years ago.

The other type of flashback is more pleasant and somewhat triggering - but not triggering like I want to drink triggering - more like I'd like to drop acid again triggering. These, actually, could be mild psychotic symptoms like things seeming brighter, patterns of color on the wall or floor, and sometimes a sense that I'm floating (if I'm in bed). These symptoms used to cause some anxiety, especially if they happened at work. They still happen sometimes, but I've learned to experience them with curiosity and appreciation. There is no evidence I'm likely to tip over the edge, so I've learned to appreciate them - to accept them - as part of my who I am and how I perceive reality. It's fine. Sometimes I trip a little for no apparent reason. No big whoop. The key is not to worry about it, keep my cool, and maybe just take a moment to recognize the beauty of the colors. I'm fortunate that these latter type experiences do not include confusion or delusion. They're just trippy moments that sometimes last a few minutes or up to a couple of hours.

Like panic attacks, I believe these flashbacks are best experienced with an attitude of BFD acceptance. So they happen. No reason to do anything drastic, no reason to dose or start drinking. No reason to cry or freak out.

That's not to say some have not been frightening, but with time I realized there is no need to be frightened. Just stay safe. If they interfere with driving, pull over. If they get excessively distracting, take a break. Sit and breathe, or take a walk in nature (but not climbing cliffs or anything potentially dangerous).

This is my experience. Maybe you can relate. Maybe your flashbacks are more terrifying. If so, I suggest doing what you would do if you were having a bad trip. My go to was always to chill somewhere, breathe, and focus on the faith that it will pass.

And it will. It always does. Same with cravings. They're here, and then they're gone, and they come back, and then they hit the beach and get drawn back into the ocean of the mind. We have nothing to fear but fear itself. So true. Ride it out. And maybe talk with your doctor about adjusting the antipsychotic medications. I still hear voices in fans. They don't scare me. It's pretty interesting. Fear of going crazy will make us that way. Cultivating fearlessness is the antidote.

Happy trails (pun intended)!