Notices

Weekender Thread 12-15 October 2018

Old 10-14-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Hello guys, in 8 hours in, happy and scared at the same time.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Welcome to the thread, GF.

Time to make this thing stick?

You're in Vegas, right? I wanna go to Vegas. Not sure I need to be there with all the siren calls, but I still wanna go.

Love Vegas.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Mr

Congratulations MB.
Mighty achievement 6 years.

Welcome to the weekender Ghostface.

There's a little Laos / Thai /Vietnamese restaurant in a village nearby and we tried it at lunch time. We didn't regret it either.

Local taxes are going up at an extraordinary rate in France. Some towns went up 20%. One litre of diesel can cost upto 1.70€ now in France.
Where is it going to stop....

Hope everyone's Sunday is going according to plan.

Later weekenders
Old 10-14-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Congrats Midnight Blue! 6 years is just awesome, an insirpiraton for sure!

Regarding my BBQ skills and gas grill efforts, I need to give you all some back story about my cleaning it up and putting it away. :-)

When my husband was alive, we had a "normal" size grill. Just big enough for 2 people - fit nicely out on our deck. Could cook 6 burgers at a time if you needed that many. It stayed out on the back deck all year long and was covered in the winter. If we wanted to cook out in the middle of winter, it was quite easy to do so and he handled it. After his death, I just left it out there and I actually used it quite a bit! Even in the winter.

Fast forward to after he died. I still kept the "normal size" grill, used it a few times, but when I moved to a new place, decided to get rid of it as my new place had a screened in porch and you could not put a grill on the porch due to being a fire hazard. So I used my George Forman indoor grill a lot. Yeah yeah, all you grill masters do not need to comment on that one! But for a single gal, it was perfect. Was fine for years and years.

About a year and half ago, I started dating a guy who prides himself on being the worlds' best grill master. He could do it all. He could cook a full meal on the grill, never having to use the stove or oven inside. He thought it was an absolute crime that I did not have a grill, so he wanted me to buy a new grill. (Note he did not want to buy it, he wanted me to buy it!) So I said okay but I didn't want anything too large as I have very little outdoor space in my new place (it's a deed restricted community with lots of common ground areas, great for me as I don't have to worry about lawn care and snow removal.) That said, I have a SMALL patio area behind my garage.

He shows up with a MONSTER grill, one that cooks 26 burgers a time and has a side searing burner for searing steaks. There is some kind of grate that is elevated to put more food on it. You could put a large pot on this grill and boil water or make chili. I could feed the whole neighborhood. It has a warming tray, drawers for all of the grill accessories, all the bells and whistles. Several temperataure guages. There is no way in heck I needed something that size. But, he tells me that it was such a great deal, it could not be passed up. And of course, being on sale, it was not returnable. Now, I guess he was thinking he was probably long term in the relationship so why not get what he wanted. I will add this grill appeared about 3 months into the relationship.

That minor "issue" right there was probably the start of the end of said relationship. He either didn't listen, didn't care, or just didn't respect my wishes. I pointed out that I could not keep a grill that size outside all year long on that small patio. He said so what, just move it into the garage and if he wanted to grill in the cold months, he could just push it out into the driveway. Without going into further details about that, the relationship was over in a year and now I have this monster grill sitting outside on the little patio space behind the garage. In the winter, I'd have to walk outside and around the house to get to it. So I decided it is just a spring/summer thing.

I am thinking I should probably just sell it or give it away. I am sure there is someone out there who would love something like this to perfect his/her grilling skills and has a large family or circle of friends where something this size makes sense. It is quite comical to see me out there cooking my one hamburger patty or steak on this thing.

Maybe in the Spring I will post it on the community bulletin board for sale. I cleaned it up as best I could, but someone probably only needs to buy some new grates and it will look good as new.

For now, I have my trusty George Forman grill here in the house and will actually be using it today! All have a great day!
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

LHW.

Too funny. Big gifts I don't want or need are the bane of my relationships. I've sold/given away a few myself. Great - thanks/no thanks, dude. I had one guy pay for cable at my place so he could watch games while he was over. Yeah, I don't want sports on in my living room. TYVM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Hello. Just trying out the weekender thread🙂 I hope everyone has a great sober day!
Old 10-14-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome Stronger
Old 10-14-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 years MB!

It's sunday. Spartans pulled off an upset yesterday and the team seems to be playing a bit more like themselves. That team has a knack for winning at the last moment.

No too much damage from the flooding. The water has come in there before. I'm trying to dig out the back yard a bit so it can flow away from the trouble area and it is taking more rain to breach the house than it used to.

The weather is really really nice now, we had a brutal summer it's been nice for about a week.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Happy sober Sunday everyone. Day 5 for me.

Congrats on 6 years MB!
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
OX

Good Morning all. Congrats on 6years MBlue.
Gonna go see a touring reproduction of the Sistine Chapel today. Showed up yesterday and the lady politely showed me my tickets were for today. Not great at online buying. Not as bad as when I bought airline tickets for the wrong day and wasted $700 in two minutes.
Been under the weather a bit but feeling better finally. Mrs shoe still not sober but declares it needs to happen every morning when the eyes open and the pain hits. But soon a glass of something to take the edge off. ..we have all been there. Ugly cycle. On the other side it’s scary. Who wants to lose a loved one to liquid?

Funny grill story LHW. Totally relatable

With you all this weekend
Old 10-14-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders GhostFace and Stronger. You got this.

Guys and grilling meat/BBQ is turning in to the new men and driving scenario ie kinda competitive (says the man whose every third post is about cars, i'm still peeved about that Iso Grifo)

Edit: Good to see you BigShoe.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Welcome Ghostface!

LHW I hope you get a good deal selling that monster grill....and maybe some closure

Nice to see you Stronger!

One day behind ya, mns1 ~ Day 4 here....

Hey everyone!

Not much to report, but no hangover is always a great start! Chakra meditation done and I went for a walk for some fresh air; now I plan to stay home and continue to recharge today....with coffee of course!

Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I'm currently in Manchester.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Mr

Take it easy in Manchester Tynesider.

Goodnight weekenders.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

End of the weekend here in the left corner of the U.S.

Bee-you-tee-ful day. Couple eagles, half a dozen red-tailed hawks, a couple harbor seals, lots of smaller birds and so many dogs at the beach. I want to come back in my next life as a Corgi dog. Everyone loves them.

If you didn't make it through this weekend without using or drinking, plug the holes in your plan.

If you did make it - congrats, you are one step closer to sanity.

Full tummy, off to watch some Netflix.

Nite.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:20 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning weekenders.
It's an early start today.

On Wednesday we are off to Ireland for a few days. So lots to be done today and tomorrow...

Coffee o clock time
Old 10-14-2018, 10:37 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Monday morning but at least i'm not suffering hangover pain.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning, weekenders.

Have a great sober week.

Coffee time for me too.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

for us all
better here than an alcohol fueled hell
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Loved your post about the "monster grill": ,LHW !!! very funny and well written !