Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
In todays newspaper funnies. Two characters talking:
"I've never seen you around here."
"I just got in from Brussles."
"Oh? Are you married?"
"Yes, Why?"
"Any sprouts?"....
Hahaha!
We do have some good food! Brussels Sprouts, Belgian Waffles, Belgian chocolate and and so much more.
And trust me fries were invented in Belgium NOT France! ))
Old 10-13-2018, 12:17 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders Ben123, well done for skipping that pub meet up. In the early days just the kind of cozy familiarity is enough to set the AV into overdrive.

Great to see you Purplrks! I hope the new job is OK.

Sorry about your domestic strife tekink but pleased you are not drinking over it, let's face it, it never makes things better.

Pilipili1 - for a short time in 2015 I was the owner of a 1953 Velosolex which I sold for £150. I have just seen one on ebay for £2,450 ono. Grrr! Admittedly it was in a lot better condition than mine.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Good thinking Tekink.....glad to hear you're getting over it (I'm sure she will too)

I love this time of year ~ Halloween may be my favorite holiday.....think I'll turn on the tv and see if there are any spooky movies coming on!
Old 10-13-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

This turned out to be quite a rain storm. By the time she got home I was bailing water in the living room nature nipped that one in the butt but my house is flooding! Nothing like a little reality to put nonsense into perspective!

I highly recommend stained concrete flooring. It can take a licking and not be damaged.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
You, guys, have been busy here.

I am having a quiet time contemplating on my journey.

I am drawing an imaginative thread which goes from the same moment from six years ago, when a single decision completely changed my life.

And I am thinking what kind of a move, action, decision has I take now to make the next quality turn in my life.

I want to catch this special time window when October 13 travels into October 14 and use this magic to do thing I am afraid of doing, to step into another uncertainty.

Good night weekenders)
Old 10-13-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Pilipili1 View Post
Hahaha!
We do have some good food! Brussels Sprouts, Belgian Waffles, Belgian chocolate and and so much more.
And trust me fries were invented in Belgium NOT France! ))
They Might Be Giants have a song about the great Belgian painter James Ensor!

Old 10-13-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I assume it's your soberversary, MB?

Congratulations!

May today be the beginning of your fruitful new season!
Old 10-13-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I have seen the lovely city of Bruges in the dark comedy In Bruges, by Martin McDonagh.

One key theme of the movie was the argument between the main characters about whether spending time in the medieval city of Bruges was a joy and a treasure, or the most horrifically boring torture ever devised by man.

I was fascinated by it! I vote for a joy and a treasure!
Old 10-13-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Welcome to Weekenders Ben123, well done for skipping that pub meet up. In the early days just the kind of cozy familiarity is enough to set the AV into overdrive.

Sorry about your domestic strife tekink but pleased you are not drinking over it, let's face it, it never makes things better.

Pilipili1 - for a short time in 2015 I was the owner of a 1953 Velosolex which I sold for £150. I have just seen one on ebay for £2,450 ono. Grrr! Admittedly it was in a lot better condition than mine.
Oh wow, so cool! I'm sure seeing that hurt a little , but it must mean something better was or is on it's way to you
Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
They Might Be Giants have a song about the great Belgian painter James Ensor!

Didn't know the band nor the song, but that's pretty special!
Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Adelaide has often been described in 2 ways, for serial killings or boredom.

One stand up comedian said about Adelaide..it is so boring, I hold on to my morning bowel action until the afternoon so I have something to look forward to.

Quiet, yes.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I have seen the lovely city of Bruges in the dark comedy In Bruges, by Martin McDonagh.

One key theme of the movie was the argument between the main characters about whether spending time in the medieval city of Bruges was a joy and a treasure, or the most horrifically boring torture ever devised by man.

I was fascinated by it! I vote for a joy and a treasure!
Bruge is really beautiful, a bit trampled over by tourists but that's because it's really worth a visit.
In medieval times...mmhh lovely for the wealthy probably but I'm afraid it must have been very smelly and anything but boring.

Calling it a night for now & will be back tomorrow, sober and all
Old 10-13-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
My AV has been really loud the last few days. It rose up like a vigilante throughout Friday and Saturday. Trying every trick in it’s book to get me to pick up a drink. So many times I nearly gave in. A few times I had actually decided f it, I’m just going to get sloshed. I could feel everything building up inside me, pain, anger, sadness, frustration, emptiness, futility, and an overwhelming despair and anger about losing my parents, all brewing together in a pressure cooker inside my head. Well it finally exploded last night. I had an argument with my SO and a major meltdown. This morning I feel flat and really headachey like I have a hangover. But I didn’t drink. And I am reminded how much worse I’d feel if I had an awful alcohol induced despair on top of everything else. I am so grateful I didn’t give in to the evil sneaky conniving AV because I made it to today, my 5 monthiversary.
If anyone is getting reeled in by the false romantic stories about drinking that the AV has concocted, remind yourself of what happens AFTER you drink. The aftermath is the reason we’re here, the reason we don’t drink. We need to stop focusing on the drinking time itself and remember the horrible consequences. Play the tape forward. I re-read my hangover/withdrawal diary to remind myself of the headaches, nausea, despondency, guilt and despair. No thanks AV you’re a big fat liar, an evil conman, so you can F right off Tell it NO! I’m not drinking!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Mike, I liked the way that guy in your clip dealt with the AV. As the saying goes, we don’t negotiate with terrorists!
Haha yes for those unfamiliar that clip is from the movie The Avengers. In case you couldn’t tell by my Captain America avatar, I am a huge superhero movie fan. Anyway, that is the superhero the Hulk slamming the supervillain Loki into the ground. Loki is the “god of mischief,” a malicious, manipulative being, not unlike the AV. So I thought it was an apt comparison. And yes, we do not negotiate!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:32 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Way to go Willow!!!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

If you could withstand that, Willow, there is nothing on this earth you can't withstand!

My hat is off to you!
Old 10-13-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thanks Purps and Gilmer ❤️ I’m not feeling very strong, still flat and headachey and my eyes are sore and tired and puffy from crying yesterday, but I’ve had some water and headache tablets and now I’m having a coffee. And I’m ok Hopefully the day will get better (it will) and the AV will stay quiet for a while (it will). Like Mike and Captain said, you don’t negotiate with terrorists. I was negotiating there for a bit, on Friday and Saturday. But now that I’ve kicked it’s butt, it’s gone quiet. Phew
Old 10-13-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Right. Another Saturday in the books. I'm in for the night.

Nice walk - brilliant leaves, too lazy to take a shower now but who's gonna know?

Oh. Oops. Don't tell anyone.

Stay strong tonight everyone. Waking up to Sober Sunday is like Sober Saturday squared.

Oh! Have you guys tried these yet??? To die for...seriously. I got some in a mixed bag of Snickers bite-size candies.

Snickers Peanut Butter Squared

They didn't make it to Halloween at my house. But then, I've lived here 25 years and never had one trick or treater, so buying it for them was magical thinking anyway.

Nite!
Old 10-13-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Way to kick that AV in the but, the more times you deny it the weaker it gets! Congrats on 5 months as well. I was still having a really hard time at five months but it gets better!

I've been enjoying the rest of my afternoon. Wife actually made up with me right away, I cleaned up the mess and played monster hunter with some friends for a few hours. I'm about to hop back on for the night.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Checking in here.

Tackled the cleaning of my gas grill to put it away for the Fall/Winter. It was a real chore and I didn't get it as clean as I would have liked. Note to self for next year: clean up the grill after each use then you won't have a thick layer of grease and crud when you put it away at the end of the season.

Just fixed a cup of decaf/detox tea. It doesn't taste that good. Made of dandelion roots. Someone gave it to me. I'm not sure I would have bought this one myself. Kind of bitter and I wonder what the hidden message was in that it says "good for liver support". Hmmmm.

Going to find something to watch on Netflix. Heard a lot about the Handmaids Tale. Anyone watch that?