Notices

If You Knew The World Was Going To End Tomorrow

Old 10-11-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

This is an odd question for so many reasons, but I'll play. I would seek out my son and be of any comfort I could to him.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the reason why some of us who've been at this a while have nothing to say in these kids of hypotheticals is ...its simply no longer an issue?

My recovery's not dependent on how I feel, what kind of day I've had, or what else is going on in the world.

D
Yes! This is exactly how I feel.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InApickle View Post
I do appreciate your comment, please don't take this the wrong way. But why are you still here posting, 5 years sober?

You still never answered the question though!
They did answer your question and quite fully as well.

There isn't a right way to ask someone why they post here after 5 years sober.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Absolutely not. My daughter would need me and I would want to be 100% present both to comfort her and to literally treasure those last moments I had with her.
Alcohol tried to kill me. Although I do have thoughts of drinking because I am an alcoholic I fight for my sobriety every day the last day on this earth will be no different.

I am in AA and there are people who still attend meetings with 5, 10, 25 years sober. An alcoholic is never cured from alcoholism, we are all only just one drink away from alcoholic hell and people need to do whatever it is they need to do to continue to stay sober. I for one am so so grateful for these people and for the people here with many years of sobriety for showing me there is hope and a better life free from the chains of alcohol.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
Absolutely not. My daughter would need me and I would want to be 100% present both to comfort her and to literally treasure those last moments I had with her.
Alcohol tried to kill me. Although I do have thoughts of drinking because I am an alcoholic I fight for my sobriety every day the last day on this earth will be no different.

I am in AA and there are people who still attend meetings with 5, 10, 25 years sober. An alcoholic is never cured from alcoholism, we are all only just one drink away from alcoholic hell and people need to do whatever it is they need to do to continue to stay sober. I for one am so so grateful for these people and for the people here with many years of sobriety for showing me there is hope and a better life free from the chains of alcohol.
In fact , I take the first part back. I say absolutely not and right at this moment in time, I am confident of my decision to say absolutely not. But for me, I deal with my disease on a daily basis. So I guess I honestly couldn't say if I would or not. I wouldn't WANT to drink. I would want to be 100% preaent for my daughter. But there were thousands of times I picked up a drink when I didn't want to. I had no power over alcohol. I would have to deal with my last day on Earth as I would any other day .
Old 10-11-2018, 08:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I cannot imagine a less desirable way to spend my remaining time on Earth.
Posting/reading here amongst other things is key to actually getting 5 years sober. Imagine if this place had only guidance from people who have no more than a month or so sober? We need to learn from those who have serious time.
Prefacing a comment with "no offense" does not negate the offensiveness.
Gilmer...love you. Admire your gracious response.
Jules
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

good heavens NO.
that would be the last way i'd spend my last few hours!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:00 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Once one is recovered from alcoholism this seems like a bizarre question. Life is simply as is and my response to that is that I would accept it with gratitude and serenity as it’s hows it’s meant to be. Recovery from alcoholism is an incredible thing. The drink problem is removed; the promises of AA do come true. A qualitatively far superior way of living for the individual is experienced. This is my experience. I wouldn’t drink if you offered me £1,000000.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
nez

I would not drink. Drinking did not work when I stopped, why would it work now? I would want to be fully present for the people that love me. In sobriety, I have learned it is not all about me, quite the opposite actually. Getting what I want is small potatoes compared to wanting what I get.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

well, to be honest, I would binge on sugar, chocolate and fast food. I imagine if I drank, I would black out after 4 or 5 drinks and then miss the whole world-ending thing.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
well, to be honest, I would binge on sugar, chocolate and fast food. I imagine if I drank, I would black out after 4 or 5 drinks and then miss the whole world-ending thing.
I have a feeling the fast food outlets might be closed, I definitely can't imagine them doing home delivery lol.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you, Jules.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Answer: No
Reason: because I don’t drink
Old 10-11-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I believe posting here regularly is a big part of why Gilmer has five years sober. She also serves as a constants support and inspiration to all of us on this forum.

I am getting close to three years, and still read and post hear daily for the dual purpose of support and accountability for me, and my ability to offer support to others.
I am so happy that the both of you and many others still post. It really does help other in early sobriety.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michelle644 View Post
I am so happy that the both of you and many others still post. It really does help other in early sobriety.
Exactly! Helping others is part of the recovery process and we can only benefit from multiple perspectives and experiences.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I knew the world was ending tomorrow, I would be happy cause it would mean I'd see Jack again.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

As someone who has regularly attended AA meetings for over 2 years I can say that I have seen a few people in the meetings who have died from cancer. Their world was ending very soon and they knew it..... but they didn't drink.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

One of the very last things I would want would be to be intoxicated on any substance if this was the end of the world. I want to fully enjoy its last moments.

The idea of being intoxicated no longer has any appeal.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

No. But, I might have a cigarette
Old 10-11-2018, 08:08 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I think I'd try skydiving, since there would be very little downside. Oh, and a donut or six, but no booze. I'd rather not go out as a drunken slob.