Notices

If You Knew The World Was Going To End Tomorrow

Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We have all gone completely off topic here. I understand how this has happened, but if it is ok with you I would like to stick with the opening post question.

Thankyou all in advance!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'd be doing exactly what i am doing, hanging out watching an old movie. I'm old--I've already done lots, so I'm just content these days.

I do whatever each new days brings--but if there were no new day, I'd just continue watching The Great Race on Amazon Prime. I'm good with my eternal destiny.
@Gilmer

Thankyou for your honest reply. That's all I wanted! Honest replies...
Old 10-10-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

No, I would not drink.
I see no logic or value in being inebriated during my final hours on this small planet. If I were to meet my doom I would wish it to be eyes wide open and stone cold sober. A final insult to a demon that took more than it gave.
For every day is truly a gift from God. Why be foolish and waste that final day?
Old 10-10-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
Because drinking would be the last thing on my mind, I would rather get my family and friends together, and spend it with them.
That's nice. I hope they would want to do the same!
Old 10-10-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by resolute50 View Post
No, I would not drink.
I see no logic or value in being inebriated during my final hours on this small planet. If I were to meet my doom I would wish it to be eyes wide open and stone cold sober. A final insult to a demon that took more than it gave.
For every day is truly a gift from God. Why be foolish and waste that final day?
A little bit contradictory but I understand.

My mind is full of demons that took more than I gave as well, but in the end we are talking about nothing more than our own minds replaying bad parts of our past, then reaching for God to sort the mess out!

***Notes, I don't believe in God, but I do believe in Jesus***
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm not sure. Probably I would get anxious and not make a decision and die with my brow furrowed, enjoying neither a drink nor the peace of mind of sobriety.

I hope to evolve into a better person any day now
Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I would eat a donut for sure though.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My world could end tomorrow, I'm never drinking again under any circumstance.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
Because drinking would be the last thing on my mind, I would rather get my family and friends together, and spend it with them.
^ This.

The whole problem with drinking to begin with is that you think there is always tomorrow. If there is no tomorrow, then drinking is pointless.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have to admit that it was incredibly exciting to realize what my response was when I thought about the answer to your hypothetical. I would be as sober as I humanly could be, aside from maybe a couple cups of coffee. It's exciting to think how little drinking means to me now especially how early I am in my sobriety. But no, drinking would not be an option.

There's simply nothing drinking adds to life. And if all I had left was a preordained set of minutes before it all ended, no way would I be drinking. As if we have anything except a limited time here anyhow. Tomorrow is not promised.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:21 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I hope my reply makes sense to people. Drinking is a way to self medicate and put off having to deal with certain feelings. If I knew the World was going to end, there would be an intense urgency to deal with those feelings.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InApickle View Post
I do appreciate your comment, please don't take this the wrong way. But why are you still here posting, 5 years sober?

You still never answered the question though!
I believe posting here regularly is a big part of why Gilmer has five years sober. She also serves as a constants support and inspiration to all of us on this forum.

I am getting close to three years, and still read and post hear daily for the dual purpose of support and accountability for me, and my ability to offer support to others.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Drink wouldn't even cross my mind. What would be important to me would be contact with family and friends...maybe looking at old photographs and remembering my parents...and of course blind panic! 😲
Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the reason why some of us who've been at this a while have nothing to say in these kids of hypotheticals is ...its simply no longer an issue?

My recovery's not dependent on how I feel, what kind of day I've had, or what else is going on in the world.

D
Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Honestly, yes at only 4 days sober I would drink.

It wouldn't be in a party mode enjoy a last drink way, it would be in a medicating/sedating way because I would be terrified and alone.

You wouldn't have an operation without an anesthetic so why get "smashed to smithereens by an asteroid" without one.

Maybe in a few years time my answer would be different, who knows.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I wouldn't.

If you asked me this question even a few months ago, the answer would have been so different, but at this stage, I know I've screwed up most of my life due to alcohol, I'd at least want to go out right.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

If I knew today was my last day on Earth,
I would make sure all is in order with my
Maker. Making sure in prayer that I confess
my sins and ask for forgiveness and leave
it all in the hands of my Higher Power.

I definitely would not drink for sure. When
the moment arrives, I want to be sober, serene
and looking forward to hopefully seeing this
beautiful place I o believe in for all eternity.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I would drink the biggest fruit smoothie I could get my hands on...

Frozen strawberries, blueberries, avocado, orange juice, and Greek yogurt all blended up.

Man I really love these fruit smoothies, and this would be the last thing I would want to taste!!!

If today was the last day, I would thank God that I found the strength to be sober.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

The question is a good one in one way....what sort of deranged addiction would mean that we would ask this question and consider it seriously? It would cross my mind! - because I’m insane, in my own way, due to this drug.

Make love to the woman I’ve loved for 20 years?
Spend time reminiscing with my children over our lives together?
Eat a lovely feast?
Walk a mountain, swim in the sea, smell some flowers?

Or sit in a bar or at home getting smashed???? Only addicts would consider it

This is a baffling addiction
Old 10-11-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ok so, the real question is what would you do? And why are you asking?

My addiction is so sick that I used to the think of things like this....truly. Zombie apocalypse? Why aren't they all panicking, running around trying to find booze on the Walking Dead. Yes, I've thought about that.

Totally totally nuts. And also shows how bored addicts can be. So privileged. When a true life or death scenario occurs I hope I think only of the people I love and how to help them.

But until then, I'll just keep living my privileged life where examining my navel is even an option. In much of the world, it isn't.