Notices

Doing first online SMART meeting

Old 10-07-2018, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing first online SMART meeting

Have decided to get further support and found an online SMART meeting at a time that suits me, first one this Wednesday.
Any ideas what to expect as it is online? Doing a group session doesn't work for me due to my job and the times they are held.

I am super EXCITED and nervous at the same time.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No ideas about online but I go to F2F SMART meetings and really enjoy them. Do let us know how the online goes for you.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

No ideas either but I hope you like it
D
Old 10-07-2018, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sydney, please let us know how it goes …
Old 10-07-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I do online SMART and I really enjoy them. It looks a bit like a chat room, down one side is the chat and the main part of the screen is showing whatever document or presentation that is the topic. You can either speak if you feel comfortable or if not you can type what you want to say in the chat. The ones I do everyone is very nice and supportive. First half of the meeting is for everyone to check in and say how they are doing or whatever they want and the second half is a discussion on either tools or part of the programme. Hope you enjoy it and best of luck. x
Old 10-07-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you enjoy the meeting and are able to add SMART as a tool in your recovery.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Could you PM me the link? I'd like to learn more so I can share with the restaurant industry rcovery group I lead. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Could you PM me the link? I'd like to learn more so I can share with the restaurant industry rcovery group I lead. Thanks!
I am in Sydney Australia. No link as such, its on smartrrecovery.org you have a choice of selecting an online meeting on the dropdown menu..

Thanks guys looking forward to my first meeting. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Curious what you think after you attend the first one. I tried a SMART meeting and really liked the format, but the group near me had a number of people with mental health issues that made the meetings difficult. It's also a great alternative to 12 Step for those that don't connect with that recovery approach, but their meetings are not anywhere near as ubiquitous.

I will be in your town the first week of November staying in the Inner West. Cannot wait, I so miss my Sydney mates.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Everyone has a first time to any meeting, SMART or otherwise. No need to feel nervous, I am sure they will welcome you as they were welcomed the first time. Hope it goes well!
Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I lived in Sydney for a year, in Potts Point. Loved to run down the hill, around the harbour and past the Opera House and back. Such a great city!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinnacleOR View Post
I lived in Sydney for a year, in Potts Point. Loved to run down the hill, around the harbour and past the Opera House and back. Such a great city!
It is a great city, the Emerald one. I also lived in Potts Point for years.. I am close by now. Yes I am sure I will feel welcomed. I think CBT is what I need to further help me understand why I go back to “rewarding” myself.. Have a great Sunday!!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Curious what you think after you attend the first one. I tried a SMART meeting and really liked the format, but the group near me had a number of people with mental health issues that made the meetings difficult. It's also a great alternative to 12 Step for those that don't connect with that recovery approach, but their meetings are not anywhere near as ubiquitous.

I will be in your town the first week of November staying in the Inner West. Cannot wait, I so miss my Sydney mates.
Should be good warm weather in November. Glad you enjoy this part of the world.
I hope my group is a “relevant” one. I can only try right..
Old 10-07-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was nervous before my first online SMART meeting, but there was absolutely no need to be. I didn't use a microphone so was just typing the odd response (most people type, few use microphones, especially as only one person can speak at a time so that's usually the meeting leader). There's zero pressure to say/type anything at all if you don't want to. The mood was upbeat and laid back. At my first one they went through some extremely useful techniques and did a check-in, as Mantra said (you can say how long sober, if you've had any slip ups etc--though again, totally optional). They ended with an optional mindfulness session. I hope you get a lot out of it, and really, don't be nervous. Good luck, though you WON'T need it
Old 10-09-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I dropped into a SMART meeting yesterday. I liked it … I appreciated that they don't make you start over at Day 1 after a slip -- they understand how much you've learned during your 40 (or however many) sober days prior to a slip. The online format was a little slow, with everyone logging in comments. I didn't actually speak, just typed my thoughts. But overall if felt nice to spend an hour-and-a-half with people trying to make sobriety work. It kept me focused for the rest of the night. I'm going to do another meeting tonight.
I'd love to hear what others think.