Notices

Weekender Thread 5-8 October 2018

Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Weekender Thread 5-8 October 2018

Hi There!

I'd like to welcome anyone new to SR and new to this thread.

Weekends can be a tough time, and that's what this thread is about - support.

We also share bits and pieces of our lives and the things that are important to us, or make us laugh..anything that makes the journey a little easier

If you've never jumped into a weekender thread before - no time like today...do it now!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Count me "in"... and will do things right this time!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I looks like my post crossed Dee’s that opened the new thread and even worse, I missed out on shotgun! So I thought I’d just repost by the quoting myself, although my quote from kevlarsjal’s last post got lost in the process:

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
Morning Kevlarsjal (and everyone else). So that explains the “2” in your username? Wow, that’s an impressive array of languages there! Because of your English I almost wondered whether you are an expat, because (I say this with a lot of respect) most Germans I’ve met are not quite fluent in English. I was last in Germany in about 2006 and perhaps that has changed in the meantime. I note for example that the current generation of German celebrities (tennis players, golfers, Sebastian Vettel etc) are very comfortable in English.

Have a great Friday everyone. The weekend is upon us!
Morning TeaJay as well!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Thx D.
Morning all
Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ah, what the heck. I’m in!
Old 10-04-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In for another weekend.

Got a doctors appointment in a few hours. I made it a few weeks ago when I was going through a bad time mentally after a few weeks of sobriety. I actually feel better than I did then, but kept the appointment as I feel my GP should know the position I am in.

I could have had an appointment the following day, but I asked for a certain GP because I've spoke to her about my mental problems before and just find it easier to talk to her. She knows about my drinking, sadly, she's even seen me under the influence before.

Gateshead FC are at home tomorrow against Dagenham and Redbridge, sadly, have to give this one a miss for financial reasons (hey, we're all skint these days!) but a quiet weekend would be good as I'm off on a short trip to Manchester in just over a weekend. Going to be in the audience for the TV show Countdown.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Glad your keeping your GP appt Tynesider, can’t hurt! I am also in Manchester on Saturday meeting up with someone I was in rehab with who is flying over from Amsterdam on business and another lady from the rehab who left before I got there. Really nervous and lacking confidence but I have to push myself and just do it!

Here’s to another sober weekend! Xx
Old 10-05-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am back on day 2 and so in!! Hi guys..
Old 10-05-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in!

I came across this interesting photo the other day,
of a young lady with her pet anaconda. Hmm...

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
anasr1.jpg (48.4 KB, 126 views)
Old 10-05-2018, 04:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lunar! Please! I'm trying to stay sober here …

I'm exhausted from two long, hard (but good) weeks at work, and this weekend I plan to just rest up and get my life back in order. I've missed exercise, eating well, sleeping, reading, taking long walks with my pups. No socializing on the sked -- yay! -- so less temptation to drink. My AV is in overdrive for some reason, but I'll stay vigilant.

Have a great day all you multi-lingual friends! I'll bet some of you discovered languages you didn't even know you had until you sobered up!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning, hi and hello! Yay Friday!

Dear Dragon Daughter was tired after her first shift last night. They had her walk the floor asking customers if they needed help. Best way to learn I suppose by taking questions. She says it was "ok" but I suspect she was a little bit overwhelmed, not used to crowds or talking to strangers. Baptizm by fire I suppose. She's scheduled again for Saturday and Sunday.

We (Daughter and I) start our intermediate Ukulele class on Saturday. I'm so looking forward to it.

Then Thanks giving dinner at Sister-in-laws on Sunday. Wifes side of the family are heavy drinkers, so with daughters shift, I may miss out on some of the festivities (Kinda hoping so, but I do enjoy seeing the little kids).

Monday holiday, nothing planned thus far.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sober style

That snake looks swole, I bet he's been working out.

Like my buddy Bud Fox used to say, "Blue Horseshoe loves Anaconda Steel!"
Old 10-05-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mr

He's a lovely colour
Old 10-05-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good Morning, all. I am in!

I am getting ready to head out of town for a few days to visit family and to lend a hand with babysitting a young family member who has a disability in order to give the parents a break. The home is alcohol free (by their choice, no addiction issues) so there will be no temptations.

I had a wine craving last night after having a bad day at work. Won't go into the details, but I was treated very disrespectfully by a colleague. It was a verbal attack on the phone. I defended myself and threw it right back at them. Probably not the best way to handle it in hindsight. Anyway, I w as headed straight to the restaurant I was going to last week for Happy Hour and then a gal from my yoga class texted to see if I was going to go to class. I had been planning to blow it off and get the HH special, but instead, turned around and went to the class. Good move.

I do believe "things happen for a reason". I also had a good session with my therapist who is helping to identify the emotional triggers and how to develop a healthy path forward that does not involve reaching for the wine.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am in for a sober weekend! I am on Day 5, so this weekend will be a challenge.

But I am up for it...even though I don't even have an anaconda handy. How can I stay busy?
Old 10-05-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’ll join in.

Happy Friday everyone.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The anaconda's head on her lap looked like a seal at first--till I saw the rest of the body!

Welcome, Lorax and SydneyMan!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Weekenders!

I love that, yet again, the thread has found it's way back to cute pets like massive anacondas! There's something about the weekender that just attracts snakes (or spiders). Thanks for the photo lunar!

Thanks for the medal Vinny! I feel very honoured!

Captain, yes, that explains the "2" in my name. My original joining date was the 26th of October 2016, so we came here at almost the same time!
It's true about my fellow Germans and their English. I think my generation does a little better (I'm 28) but compared to Scandinavia for example, it's still so much worse. I think it's cause everything gets dubbed for German television, so we're much less exposed to English. We even dub German speakers if they have a strong dialect!
But I'm just lucky in the way that I learn languages quickly.
It's impressive how many languages you have in South Africa, 11 official languages sounds overwhelming!

Good luck at your doctor's appointment, Tynesider. I hope it's helpful!

Sounds like a relaxing weekend is just what you need, zoey!

Good choice to go to Yoga instead of making use of the happy hour, LHW!

Dragon, how cool to have a hobby you share with your daughter, I imagine it being such good fun for both of you!

Hi Snazzy, Mark, Gilmer, GreenSweater, TeeJay, Manta, Lorax, gettingsmarter and sydneyman
Old 10-05-2018, 06:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In for another sober weekend.

Grateful today that I'm sober, healthy, food in the fridge, love where I live, HOT WATER on tap. You know, First World is a pretty great place to live. Especially if I don't try to sabotage my own life with alcohol or allow negative thoughts to gain a stronghold.

Onward. I hope you all have a safe sober weekend.