Notices

Cannot quit - too old, too far gone!

Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Great post Sao. Makes me think you replaced your wrong opinion about whether or not you could quit drinking with a wrong opinion about whether or not you can give salient advice to other people who are struggling.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wonderful post!
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for the helpful post, Sao🙏
Old 10-05-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I love your story, Sao. You've been a positive force on these forums and someone I consider an internet friend.

Exercise and a healthy nutritious diet has done wonders for me physically, mentally (psychologically) and spiritually. Without my Nature walks I don't know where I'd be. For me it IS meditation. Yeah, not able to sit still for the other kind of meditation, but an hour long walk puts me in the same headspace. Often at the beginning of a walk my mind is all over the place, but 30 minutes in I'm calm and restored.

When my body is working as designed and my mind is clear, everything is easier.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for taking the time to share your story Sao! Gym time is an absolute pillar in my recovery. A game changer.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great post Sao! refreshing and inspiring!!
Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Fantastic post. Inspiring. I agree that the most important thing we can do is force ourselves to get active in sobriety. Those early morning walks, while I'm sure not pleasant at times, was a smart move. Congrats.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's such a testimony of strength. At first I thought I would be entering the thread with my own encouragement, but you've used your success to help others. Beautiful.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Finalround View Post
Sao, your title leads to believe you relapsed somehow. I try to avoid those type posts but I have read and seen your posts so frequently I was hesitant to read. What a powerful read. Incredibly encouraging and hopeful. After struggling for traction over the pat year, I dragged my bike out of the shed, blew off the dust and started riding. More and more each day. It has helped quell the cravings. I am putting all the tools to work for me now. None of which in themselves has helped me to stop.
I see so many looking for that reason, or perfect plan to start getting sober. Ripping off the bandaid and diving in got me started.
I hope this thread finds many of those struggling and motivates them to just do it!
Awesome thread. Thank you.
So good, I just read it again.
Sao—

Ditto FinalR

Both very well written
Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very inspiring and helpful.
In case this helps anyone, I also started going to hot/bikram style yoga several times a week and this has made an enormous difference in my cravings and overall mental and physical health.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
saoutchik

"Great post Sao. Makes me think you replaced your wrong opinion about whether or not you could quit drinking with a wrong opinion about whether or not you can give salient advice to other people who are struggling."

LOL! Thanks Nonsensical, if I just said "getting up early and exercising helped me quit" that would be true and is of a handy bite size to post in a reply but it is also bland and uninspiring without all those lines of background and context. It a bit like a boxer planning to stay out of range for eight rounds and soak up the pressure then counter attack towards the end of the fight with the opponent tiring. It's easy to say but it takes weeks of gym work to execute properly. I was just trying to show my gym work

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Yeah, not able to sit still for the other kind of meditation, but an hour long walk puts me in the same headspace. Often at the beginning of a walk my mind is all over the place, but 30 minutes in I'm calm and restored.

Spot on, me too bim. I think there is some actual since that confirms walking/exercise is good for you emotionally.

Thanks once again for all your kind responses.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey, Sao--thanks so much for the inspiring post. My sobriety date is Dec 23 2015. I'd wrecked my car in a blackout drunk suicide attempt and when I left the hospital after a week/rehab for a month I had to adapt to life without a car. Luckily I love cycling and have a nice Bianchi (but of course had neglected riding and taking care of myself) so began my vehicle-less, alcohol-free life. In the nearly 2 years 10 months since the. I've lost 60 lbs, lowered my blood pressure to althletic levels, and feel and look invigorated. I've learned how to repair my bike and it gives me a great feeling of accomplishment. I also go to yoga twice a week and have become vegan. I am 58 years old and starting school again after many years; my goal is to get my BA in social work and help others with addictions.
You are absolutely correct; you're never too old to start again.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That's fantastic Verdantia and good luck with the BA, I tip my hat to you on that.

Also, you have been sober for 1018 days so congratulations on passing the 1000 mark.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao. Beautifully written and heartfelt. There are many paths to wholeness. I'm glad we're on a regular thread together.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

A wonderful read, Saoutchik! Exercise and keeping busy helped me as well. One of my biggest problems with quitting was about not being able to sleep. Wearing myself out daily did help with that
Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

A very inspiring post Mr Saou. X
Old 10-07-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thank you Sao
Old 10-07-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sao, a wonderful post from a wonderful person. You are such a kind, warm and wise presence on SR.
Thank you.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this. I thought about this all weekend and decided today was the day I would implement the workout plan. I’m back at day one, but I forced myself to get out of bed this morning (hungover and tired!) and get outside for one hour. This is a major step for me since I love to sleep as late as possible! But I’m so tired of nothing changing, I figured I’d make a dramatic change somewhere.

I am excited to fit my exercise/prayer time in before my family needs me.

Thank you again!