Notices

Anyone else amazed there still a alive

Old 10-01-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone else amazed there still a alive

I drank 5ltrs of beer a day for four years, abused sleeping pills and cocaine and even overdosed on codeine and went to the pub the next morning, nearly a year sober and i have health problems remaining but I am amazed I am still up and running.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

70cl of vodka or a three litre bottle of strong cider a day minimum for flips knows how long, plus several overdose attempts, plus one occasion of being sent to a hospital by a visiting doctor because I was hallucinating that still didn't stop me drinking.

I am lucky to still be here and very grateful to still be walking on this planet.

From then on, I am not wasting a single day. Even the quiet ones I try and do something, even if that is talking to someone online.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im amazed im still a live the way i drink and the way i act when im drunk..My sorbiety is truelly a gift from my higher power and gave me a chance to enjoy this life
Old 10-01-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

After the many falls drunk leaving huge bruises everywhere, driving when I clearly should not have to get more alcohol and waking up in a pool of puke I must have done in my sleep....Yes! I am thankful every day I have another chance and no longer have to live like that anymore x
Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most definitely!
In the end, every time I drank I became suicidal.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been in a few situations that could have resulted in death. A couple years ago, I was pulled from Lake Ontario by fire-fighters after I had drunkenly fallen in during winter. I had hypothermia and was a few minutes from death. I have had many injuries, worst being 30 staples in my head. Not to mention all the damage to my organs the booze caused. Plenty of drug use as well.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Most definitely!
In the end, every time I drank I became suicidal.
I had those thoughts 2-3 years ago when our family moved back to my home state, had no friends, hated my job, etc.

I never came close to actually executing that plan but alcohol definitely weakens the inhibitions and impacts judgment... so it really put me in a vulnerable situation.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was amazed too whiskertron - maybe we're still both here for a reason?

D
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

First of all, I want to thank you for starting this thread. Sometimes, it is easy to just focus on the present and and give little if any time to the past and how lucky you are to still be here. At least for me, it's easy to get upset over the day to day stuff, and not realize how lucky I am to still be here and how important it is to make each day count. Like many, I should of been six feet under many years ago. With all the drug and alcohol abuse, it's just amazing I am still functioning. Sometimes I think it's unfair when I've known others' that have lived a better life have more problems than me. This thread helps me to be grateful for each day, cause I really don't deserve it. Really don't understand why I am still here cause I did everything to make sure it did not happen. I'm a lucky guy. John
Old 10-01-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Yes, I am amazed and grateful that I am still alive. It is unbelievable really.

MANY of my young friends are no longer alive.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Yes, I am amazed and grateful that I am still alive. It is unbelievable really.

MANY of my young friends are no longer alive.
Makes me wonder why I'm still here. Gotta be a reason why you and I are still here. Maybe you and I still have stuff to do before it is out time. John
Old 10-01-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm astounded and grateful I made it thru my youth.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, very grateful for being alive. I never realized that when I was still drinking.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Absolutely! I had put myself in danger so many times. A few times I could have died. So lucky and grateful to be here!
Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was found alone in my car at 3 a.m. outside of my dealers house, blue from head to toe, complete respiratory failure. Hadn’t been breathing for hours - a needle hanging out of my arm. The police did chest compressions and cpr but ultimately couldn’t revive me so the ambulance was essentially coming to pick up another body, dead of a heroin OD.
Couple shots of Narcan in the ambulance restarted my heart. I woke up in the hospital with no idea what happpened (not the first time), tore all the cords and IV’s out of my arm and ran out of there in nothing but a gown (my clothes had been cut off) and straight to the liquor store.....
Later, the police report along with hospital records were sent to my GP and he explained to me how there is no explanation how I survived based on my vitals and the length of time my body had been deprived of oxygen. He said I was within SECONDS of being gone for good - if not less.
Hell yeah I am amazed at how I am alive and I constantly question why. The only answer I can come up with is that there must be a reason and a purpose for me although I haven’t found it yet.
Congrats on all your sober days.
And thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For everyone who hasn't found their purpose yet, it's waiting for you. I do believe that the Higher Power wants each and everyone one of us to become what he meant for us all along.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post
For everyone who hasn't found their purpose yet, it's waiting for you. I do believe that the Higher Power wants each and everyone one of us to become what he meant for us all along.
Thank you for this. I needed it
Old 10-02-2018, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep- I SHOULD be dead.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Drank 5 bottles of wine around the clock on my last binge.

Went through a heavy coke phase where I was smoking it on top of a lot of booze...and chain smoking. I remember looking up at my friends. I'd been standing there and just fell over a coffee table, completely blacked out for a second.

Drove absolutely blotto countless times. Amazed I survived that, never even got a DUI.

Fell off the toilet into the bathtub, because a shower curtain obviously didn't break my fall. Hurt like hell. Several years later I had a chest Xray and the doc said "Do you know you have five broken ribs?"

Almost got hit by a train while tripping in college.

Have spent 3 days at music festivals on tons of alcohol and multiple substances. One of our party was a doc and she thinks I was going into serotonin syndrome.

I do have slight neurological damage. I believe I was in the very early stages of wet brain when I stopped. I had 2 of the three signs. If it had continued for another few weeks I'm sure it would have progressed.

This is why I have committed to NEVER taking a sip of alcohol again.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Amazed, grateful and now incredibly active about it.