Notices

Self-detox

Old 09-29-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self-detox

Hi, All, I'm going at this again to quit drinking and live a life of freedom. I'm an at home drinker, so alot of my family and friends do not know that I am alcoholic. My consumption of alcohol and tolerance has gone way up (two bottles of wine) and I'm 5'3 130 pounds.

I've decided to do an at home self-detox and I'm scared to death! I tried tapering off the alcohol, but that didnt work so well. "One glass of wine is too many and a thousand glasses of wine is not enough." I've been drinking every night since November 2017 with the exception of a few days sober here and there.

I wrote this post to see if anyone else out there has successfully done an at home detox and what to expect and how to prepare. I also am looking for support. I have the shakes right now, a little bit of heart palputations, but that could be from the anxiety.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know I'm not alone, this site is so helpful and educational. ❤
Old 09-29-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. It's always best to talk to your doctor before detoxing because it can be unpredictable. Do you have someone with you at home?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tapering is the pits. I know. I agree with Anna, it's good to talk to your doctor or at the VERY least, please let someone know that can check on you from time to time if not be with you.
Please post lots! Detoxing is tough and scary I know. You can do this.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have done countless self-detoxes at home. It usually takes 3 days for me to normalize. So I basically lock the door, close the blinds, and park myself on the sofa for 3 sleepless days. Insomnia and intense anxiety are the worst parts for me. Sometimes I went to the ER if my symptoms got real bad, but generally the doctors there didn't want to bother with me. Spent 16 hours waiting once before being seen. . I shouldn't have gone.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm glad you've decided to stop drinking. It's always best to talk to your doctor before detoxing because it can be unpredictable. Do you have someone with you at home?
Only my 17 year old Daughter.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Tapering is the pits. I know. I agree with Anna, it's good to talk to your doctor or at the VERY least, please let someone know that can check on you from time to time if not be with you.
Please post lots! Detoxing is tough and scary I know. You can do this.
Thank you Delizadee. 🤞
Old 09-29-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I have done countless self-detoxes at home. It usually takes 3 days for me to normalize. So I basically lock the door, close the blinds, and park myself on the sofa for 3 sleepless days. Insomnia and intense anxiety are the worst parts for me. Sometimes I went to the ER if my symptoms got real bad, but generally the doctors there didn't want to bother with me. Spent 16 hours waiting once before being seen. . I shouldn't have gone.
Thanks for your response! I'm feeling the anxiety pretty good right now. If I dont feel better by Monday (work day) I might have to try again with an extra day off.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Free and congratulations on your decision to make alcohol a part of your past.

Well, I prepared in a few ways. I resolved to go to the doctor if necessary. Identified my most vulnerable times of each day of the week and made specific changes. Allowed a bit of reasonable indulgence in comfort foods/meals that I prepared myself to occupy my mind a bit. Importantly, I committed to engage proactively on SR at the peak of cravings until they passed (and they do). I declined any social events that presented added temptation and for me that called for some changes in my social network. Some of those changes permanent. It all sorted out with time. There was other stuff I did too, but those were the major points. Oh yes, structured time at the gym. Priceless in anxiety control. Still is.

I look forward to seeing your progress! Stick close to SR.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Thanks for your response! I'm feeling the anxiety pretty good right now. If I dont feel better by Monday (work day) I might have to try again with an extra day off.

Did you take anything for the insomnia?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The er has been touch and go for me. I got sent to detox last time (where I needed to be)

Warm baths, lots of water. I found hot broth helpful and some anti nausea. Gingerale, etc.
Get some B vitamin in you:

Whole grains (brown rice, barley, millet)
Meat (red meat, poultry, fish)
Eggs and dairy products (milk, cheese)
Legumes (beans, lentils)
​Seeds and nuts (sunflower seeds, almonds)
Dark, leafy vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kai lan)
Fruits (citrus fruits, avocados, bananas)

Comfy blankets and temps, soft light, quiet ( I always find a bit of noise the best)
If you talk to the doctor they may be able to offer you something to help with sleep. The insomnia can get pretty terrible but usually after a full day of horrors (waking up every 15 minutes from the nightmares) I sleep for a good day or two. In detox they have medication protocols to help with things like insomnia.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mark1014;7022997]Hi Free and congratulations on your decision to make alcohol a part of your past.

Well, I prepared in a few ways. I resolved to go to the doctor if necessary. Identified my most vulnerable times of each day of the week and made specific changes. Allowed a bit of reasonable indulgence in comfort foods/meals that I prepared myself to occupy my mind a bit. Importantly, I committed to engage proactively on SR at the peak of cravings until they passed (and they do). I declined any social events that presented added temptation and for me that called for some changes in my social network. Some of those changes permanent. It all sorted out with time. There was other stuff I did too, but those were the major points. Oh yes, structured time at the gym. Priceless in anxiety control. Still is.

I look forward to seeing your progress! Stick close to SR.

Thanks for your message Mark! To be honest with you, I'm scared to go to the Doctor. I read somewhere that having alcoholism on your medical record could prevent you from getting employment. And I assume my current employer could find out as well?

I definately will be hitting the gym, this anxiety sucks! Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 09-29-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It didn’t end up being necessary for me to go to the doc, but I didn’t rule it out if I’d thought absolutely necessary for success.

Again , congrats on your decision.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just went through it, and still achy.

Everyones advice is great, we're all different though so keep your phone charged if youre alone just in case.

I avoided outside help because I too found the doctors dont really want to be bothered , are annoyed, and I have concerns that it would effect my insurance. IF I had found myself in trouble I definately would have gone.

Just be good to yourself and careful during this time.

I stuck around this forum too

Warm baths with epsom salts pull toxins out of your system.

Best to you!
Old 09-29-2018, 10:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey, Free. Congratulations on your decision to quit; this is such a good thing for you and your daughter and everyone who loves you.
I did not detox at home, and I concur that tapering didn't work for me. When I attempted to quit full stop within 12 hours I began to suffer alcoholic hallucinosis--this was heavy-duty audio and visual hallucinations and even though I was aware they weren't real it was still horrifying. (I drank 'only' beer, at least a 12-pack each night and often more for about 4 years; I am 5'7 and 110.) I wandered around sober but seeing and hearing unspeakable things for 4 days until I gave up and started drinking again to make them go away. That started a month of hiding from my friends (and police welfare checks) in cheap motels until I surrendered and went to the county detox where I had a seizure and was shipped to a regular hospital for a week. Then I went to rehab for two months.
So, obviously things can get serious. Seeing a doctor would be a good idea; they can prescribe meds to help and advice if things get bad. There is also the ER.
Delizadee's post covered well things that will be helpful. I second the B vitamins--alcohol depletes niacin from our bodies. I used Gatorade-type drinks for hydration--gallons of it. Some people rave about pedialyte but it's really expensive. Treat yourself gently and well. Distract yourself with mindless TV. Ice cream was my friend.
Power through this and know that on the other side a wonderful life of freedom awaits. We are here to help. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you are here and sharing.

I have shared many times that I went cold turkey. Plenty of people take exception when I describe my experience but it was what I decided I HAD to do because when I was truly DONE I wanted no part of alcohol any more. It was risky given how sick I was but the best way to put it is that I chose an uncertain future over a certain death by drinking. It was that dire for me.

I am grateful that I went through extended pain and side effects of my early sobriety. I went to see different drs and had everything possible tested. As far as things like my dangerously high liver tests, it was about 90-100 days before things normalized, which everything did.

It was hard to do the basics at first, like eat and for sure the sleep difficulties (to say the least!) ... I was so tired that basic effort was hard. It got better and better though my first year.

I did not go to the ER like others advise- and many would have if experiencing things I did and that would always be a good decision!! I did have very close contact with my psych and used Antabuse for the first 90 days and also began taking Ativan as needed for my anxiety, which we discovered was a diagnosis, once I was sober. Plenty of people disagree about using a benzo, but it was and is he right decision for me under monitoring by my dr and learning different tools to deal with my anxiety.

Getting sober was the only thing that matters, and IME the literal part (i.e. Alcohol, being out of my system, technically) was only the start of getting its effects truly through and out of my body.

Quitting is the best thing you can ever do. Making use of any support you have, medically and otherwise is what I wish everyone to do. I am talking in more in generalities of my experience Than specifics- specific things like hydration, naps and starting to eat whatever I could keep down...other literal things...just as important and certainly the daily victories for a good while!

Stay with us. You can do this.

Ps sorry for typos. I dislike this iPad so much but no laptop right now!
Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Free?
Thinking of you.
Old 09-30-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
How are you doing today Free?
Thinking of you.
So far so good. I probably only got about 3 hours of sleep last night though. I'm taking B vitamins, magnesium and multi vitamin supplements. The anxiety and shakes were really bad last night, but seem better today. I know I'm not out of the woods yet, I just have to say NO to the cravings and keep going.

I really appreciate your earlier response. I'm so proud and admire everyone's strength and determination on this site.

Thanks for checking in, I appreciate that!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've done it multiple times. Expect nausea, insomnia, headaches. I used to dry heave as well. I had lorazipam to ease the anxiety. It usually took about 3 days. The last time I did it, I started on Saturday and called in sick to work Monday. I made it Tuesday to work. I am not sure if this helps you but that was my experience. Best to you.