Notices

Weekender Thread 28 September -1 October 2018

Old 09-29-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good Morning everybody! Having my coffee on this nice crisp and cool morning here in my part of the US.

Not sure what I am going to get into today other than my Yoga class later this morning. I have some out of town friends stopping by for an hour or so later today. They drink beer and I sent a note saying the only beer I have in the house is non-alcoholic diet ginger beer but would be willing to get them some. They said will be bringing their own.

Trader Joe's just came out with their seasonal Pumpkin Spice coffee, so I stocked up on it as it only comes out around this time. I couldn't pass by the Pumpkin Bread Mix nor the Pumpkin flavored anything for that matter. Since my doctor said I need to cut back sugars and starches, I figure I can indulge just a little on the pumpkin treats because I don't even want to think about how much sugar I was consuming drinking the wine.

I agree with Zoey that Kev has the best social life of anyone I know. :-) Not that I am looking yet, but Kev, how do you get all of these dates? Are you on a dating site? Hope that's not too personal to ask.

Zoey - my family lives up your way in Upstate NY and the leaves should be changing in a few weeks. I will miss it this year, as I will be visiting them next weekend but it is so beautiful.

HAS - sending healthy thoughts your way.

Everyone have a great day and I am sure I'll be checking back later on today.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:19 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good morning folks and happy Saturday.

I haven’t been around the thread long enough to learn what everyone has going on just yet, but it’s fun reading all the banter and encouraging posts.

The back garden is looking especially inviting this morning for my favorite time of the week.....Saturday morning cuppa.

Wishing everyone a splendid day,
Old 09-29-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
Big Datacenter vman? I was doing a similar thing in Ottawa, only a small office with single 48u rack tho.
Non just a little part. Development environments. Today we are moving 16 physical servers and 2 (big heavy) EMC bays. The real migration will be near the end of Oct . Today is a bit of a test run really testing the transporter, testing routing, network set-up, relaunching the applications, employee access etc....
Old 09-29-2018, 08:09 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I promise to do my best not to give a blow by blow account, but the rugby match between South Africa and Australia is about to kick off. Oh, it has just started as I was typing this and RSA has scored a try within the first 30 seconds!
Old 09-29-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Went to a football match today, Gateshead vs Eastleigh. We lost 1-0.

Win some, lose some. Regardless of the result, still sober. I had a pint of cola after the match.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Best wishes Soberandhealthy!

Same to your brother and brother-in-law VMan.

Congratulations/good luck to those of you who have or are intending to attend parties.

Good luck in the rugby to both teams. During the 2015 Rugby World Cup I had to listen to some of my Aussie uncle's England jokes "what do you call an Englishman with a bottle of champagne at the World Cup? A waiter.... " blah blah blah 2019 cannot be worse.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:44 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Or, what’s the difference between a tea bag and the English rugby team....the tea bag stays in the cup longer!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good Afternoon and best of luck to everyone with whichever Rugby team you are rooting for!

I am waiting for my out of town friends to come over for a short visit and was starting to get a bit depressed so thought I'd pop on here and see what's up. I know this is the usual depression that sets in for me after my body is rid of the alcohol, so been expecting it. I just need to perk up a bit before they arrive!

They are really fun people and always laughing ... loudly. I wish they hadn't moved away and lived closer but I do get to see them once or twice a year.

They said they would help me with a few thing I am trying to do around the house that need more than one person to tackle. I want to visit with them, not put them to work, LOL! I will take them up on helping with one of the chores which involves removing my front door screen and replacing it with the heavy storm door. Seems like I just had someone help me put the screen in. Where did Summer go? We will still have a few more weeks of warm weather here, but since I have the extra hands available today, might as well do it today.

OK. Well, I need to go start to get some snacks out and try to put on some of our favorite "oldies" music. 70's and 80's. That's not oldies to me, but it is to todays' radio stations.

Thanks for being here, all.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

The session with the psychologist was good, but still feeling totally lost.

BTW, where's Trach?

Have a good weekend, everyone.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Trach got a place at a sober living place for 6 months. There is a thread somewhere from him with the address so we can send postcards to him. Sure someone has a link to hand?
Old 09-29-2018, 12:52 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello folks,

I look forward to celebrating Trach’s healthy return. Great that he took charge of his future in such an inspirational way.

I learned a couple of things about rugby when I was fortunate enough to visit NZ a while back: rule #1. Kiwis are serious about their All Blacks.
rule #2. See rule #1.

Lazy day here with nice temps.....at last! Time for a Saturday afternoon cuppa!.....almost as good as Saturday morning cuppa. But not quite.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post

I learned a couple of things about rugby when I was fortunate enough to visit NZ a while back: rule #1. Kiwis are serious about their All Blacks.
rule #2. See rule #1.

Yes, I have heard it's a sort of religion in NZ too.

Bedtime for me. Have a grrreat evening LoveHateWine, and all the rest of the Weekenders too.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Mr

We finally got to finish up our work for the day. Still a little to be done tomorrow.

We decided to head out to a heavy metal concert in a small town outside toulouse. We got here pretty late so they were only 2 acts left to go.
It's pretty fun. We have a babysitter.

The drinks are Mrs vman and our friends. I'm getting happier in sobriety and delighted to be able to come to a concert and enjoy it sober.

Anyway Goodnight weekenders.

Last edited by Dee74; 09-29-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

She got the gig!
Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I don't know what's wrong with me!!

I had a date last night, it was lovely but I didn't feel it. I had a date this afternoon, lovely again, a PhD student in psychology, great guy, good time, didn't feel it.
And who do I end up making out with for hours and almost took him home?.... I don't even wanna say it.....

A guy from AA who just ended his relationship today. Which might have been related to me. Who just told me through the lines that he had been fancying me for a while. Who is not sober for very long. Who is a musician and kind of famous.
I don't mean to talk about him in a bad way, obviously I like him. But he's just not really having his **** together and probably shouldn't throw himself into this.
But with him, of course, I have that connection, instantly. Kissing him got me so excited. Man, what am I doing?!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!

Time for coffee. My plan is to catch up on some work from home today, and I must say I can think of many better things to do...

Vman, it’s absolutely great to find that sober we can enjoy all the things we did before, and even more so.

kevlarsjal, when I was younger and more or less what I presume is your age, our outlook on life in many ways was to experience and enjoy as many different things as possible, and to retain the good. That went for relationships as well. Those carefree days as a young adult come around once only, don’t last all that long and are priceless. My 10 Cent’s worth is to make the most of it, as long as you do so with a measure of responsibility. I think it was Mick Jagger who once said “time is on my side”.

A recognized body of opinion advise against new relationships for about (if I’m not mistaken) the first year of sobriety, but I would think that as with many other things, such recommendations are to some extent individual dependant.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
She got the gig!
Great news!

Sounds like a good evening VMan, I hope you finish up early today.

Kevlarsjal - what CaptainHaddock said. It might be worth remaining single for a couple of months as our emotional state is a bit fragile in early recovery.

It is light here already but two young druncken men are having the saddest noisiest argument on the street where my flat is. They seem to be lost both literally and figuratively.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Morning Sao, I’m sure Towers Security will be dispatched to deal with those two men, swiftly and decisively, if required
Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

What do you call an Englishman in the Rugby World Cup final?

The referee!

(I am English, but I love a good joke, or even a very bad one, like that one I've just typed)

Happy Sunday morning fellow Weekenders. Watching the snooker on Eurosport at the moment followed by a gig tonight.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Kevlar- in early recovery one's emotions wake up- for many with the same emotional lack of maturity as to when they went to sleep with the booze. Without exception- new relationships that I have seen in the first year (at least) in recovery- fail..to many intense emotions. How can one work with another struggling with their emotions, as we struggle with our own. My observations about people I know- NOT YOU. You will have to decide what you do- but I advise caution and patience.