Notices

Day 1

Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

I’ve decided after a struggle with alcohol for 8 years, I’m finally ready to get my life back in my control and not be dependent on that any more. I’ve had 3 OWIs. I got my first one when I was 19 and then 2 more within the last 3 years. I’m 28, in school, and also work full time. I have too much going on for me to mess up again. I typically drank every night, because I can’t sleep if I don’t. There will be nights when I just have enough to sleep, or I will binge and blackout and then wake up the next morning and start again. I’m out sick from work and had a Saturday -Monday bender where I didn’t get touch a drink until today. I woke up and was so sick, vomiting non stop and still had a BAC of .047 at 8 PM. I’ve had the shakes for the majority of the day and am just now laying in bed with sweats, my hands and feet keep cramping. I’ve taken 2 Benadryl and a muscle relaxer and am unable to sleep. My heart feels like it’s going to pound out of my chest. The longest I’ve gone without alcohol in the past year has been 3 days. I’m really hoping that I can do it this time. I’ll be looking into outpatient programs tomorrow to proactively assist with sobering up.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. I think outpatient is a great idea. Stay close to SR and let us know how it goes.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Early recovery is not easy. This has to be the most important thing in your life. It is for me, cause without being sober I don't have a life and I know I would end up drinking myself to death. Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, you can do this.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome
insomnia unfortunately is part of the withdrawal deal for most of us - as much as I thought about taking things to help me sleep I didn't..and my sleep gradually improved night after night. sweats cramps and anxiety are pretty common too.

Of course, if you are concerned about any aspect of how you're feeling, why not see a Dr?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a smart decision and won't regret it.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations on Day 1. You've got quite a road ahead of you and there might be more "Day 1's" to start counting from, but that's okay. Just keep taking it a day at a time. You can do it.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're in good company, Roadtorecovery. We all understand like no one else can. Plenty of encouragement & support to be found here. We know you can do this - and we're with you.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roadtorecovery1 View Post
I’ve decided after a struggle with alcohol for 8 years, I’m finally ready to get my life back in my control and not be dependent on that any more. I’ve had 3 OWIs. I got my first one when I was 19 and then 2 more within the last 3 years. I’m 28, in school, and also work full time. I have too much going on for me to mess up again. I typically drank every night, because I can’t sleep if I don’t. There will be nights when I just have enough to sleep, or I will binge and blackout and then wake up the next morning and start again. I’m out sick from work and had a Saturday -Monday bender where I didn’t get touch a drink until today. I woke up and was so sick, vomiting non stop and still had a BAC of .047 at 8 PM. I’ve had the shakes for the majority of the day and am just now laying in bed with sweats, my hands and feet keep cramping. I’ve taken 2 Benadryl and a muscle relaxer and am unable to sleep. My heart feels like it’s going to pound out of my chest. The longest I’ve gone without alcohol in the past year has been 3 days. I’m really hoping that I can do it this time. I’ll be looking into outpatient programs tomorrow to proactively assist with sobering up.
My exact story 2 months ago. 28 and 2 past duis. Drinking pattern was the same. Every night and continued into the day and then morning. It was like my 10th detox I tried this year. I went through the same withdrawals. Shakes and muscle/chest cramps were so bad but the sweats were the worst part. Skin smelled so bad. Felt like trash and woke up in a puddle if I could even get an hour of sleep.

I haven’t drank since and life is so much more manageable. I replaced boozing with smoking (which I don’t recommend but it works for me.) But yea, I was at the point where blacking out and making a fool of myself watching all my friends do stuff and progress in life. I’m a college grad and make some good money but I just seemed to be stuck in work, go home, get drunk and chill, repeat, repeat, isolate, isolate, isolate until I started spiraling down into a brutal mental state. Work, relationships, life was a joke. I was missing out on so much in life. I highly recommend quitting drinking. The detox lasted me about 5 days. It sucked. I promise your life will change immensely in a short period of time if you quit.

I hope my story helps you get through the detox because I look back on it and remember how **** I felt during. I think SR was a huge help. Just reading other people’s story helped me relate. I don’t work a program, but I read through some of the forums every night. Good luck brother.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you doing today?