Notices

Depersonalization. Any experience?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depersonalization. Any experience?

I have been feeling really different the past few weeks. Often feel in a dream-like state. I have recently tapered off an antidepressant and have been drinking moderately. No booze today (24 hours since last drink).

I am sure that withdrawal from the meds/booze are the culprit. Has anyone ever experienced the feeling like your world is not real?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have major anxiety issues and it happens all the time.

Depersonalization, dissociation. Coming off meds and/or alcohol will intensify it.

You need time and then to learn to deal with the anxiety in a healthy manner ( breathing exercises, meditation) to lessen it.

I learned after my last binge that alcohol was definately exacerbating those horrible feelings.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have gone through alcohol/drug withdrawal many, many times in the last 20 years. Never felt like this before. I think it is a sign that all these years of substance abuse have taken their toll on my brain. I hope this is the wake-up call I needed to finally sober up forever. Everything just seems different. From what I have just read, it is the mind's response to high anxiety levels, which have been plaguing me for weeks.

Thanks for your response. It is reassuring that there is a reasonable explanation.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I have gone through alcohol/drug withdrawal many, many times in the last 20 years. Never felt like this before. I think it is a sign that all these years of substance abuse have taken their toll on my brain. I hope this is the wake-up call I needed to finally sober up forever. Everything just seems different. From what I have just read, it is the mind's response to high anxiety levels, which have been plaguing me for weeks.

Thanks for your response. It is reassuring that there is a reasonable explanation.
You're welcome. I absolutely hate when that happens . Its extremely frightening and i wont leave the house for days. I need to watch my anxiety and alcohol, being the liar that it is, told me itvwould help. It did- for a few hours. And then the symptoms rebound with a vengence.

If you abstain, the symptoms should dissapate . Good luck!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've experienced what you are talking about when I came off alcohol in particular. It would come up random, last for a few minutes or so and then if I was doing something like working or whatever things would kind of normalize and I would realize I'm ok.

I think one of the important things to tell yourself is it's a normal part of recovery. Everyone experiences withdrawal and post acute withdrawal differently. Don't think or worry that there is something psychologically wrong with you. Often I think people will experience different symptoms and then worry that there is something wrong with them. I know I did, and it caused me a lot of emotional distress. Once I realized it was part of the process I was able to relax a little.

I found that when it happens, you just got to try and focus on whatever it is you are doing. It will pass. It will not hurt you. You are normal.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel emotionally numb. Had bad anxiety/insomnia all weekend, Monday. I finally fell asleep Tuesday morning, woke up and all anxiety was gone. I have major stressors in my life that have me constantly anxious. Now, I feel nothing. Absolutely no worry at all. I think of my problems and I don't care. It's weird, but relaxing. I think my brain just shut down something as a defense mechanism. Anxiety made it short-circuit. I feel so calm.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wate,

24 hours is awesome. I am still under duress from the effects of 40 years of drinking.

I may never fully recover. Brain damage is permanent, but the brain can rewire.

I never took meds, but I learned that they take longer to normalize from and cause even more distress/suffering.

This addiction thing is nothing to be toyed with. It will drive us mad and kill us early.

I am in a fight for my life, happily, daily.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Back when I was drinking heavily I often had the feeling of unreality sometimes. Rather than experiencing my life directly, I sometimes felt like I was watching someone in a movie who looked like me if that makes any sense. That feeling eventually gave way to a very deep depression in which it seemed like nothing mattered. And, of course, the depression was fueled mightily by all of the alcohol I was consuming. Alcohol definitely feeds depression.

I hope you get some help. Don't let that demon spiral out of control. It's hard to fight your way back out of it. Have you talked to a medical professional?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I had it really bad when I came off of benzos. Have you been taking anything for anxiety or sleep?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've had this feeling periodically, even before I started drinking. I could be out to dinner with friends or something, and then all of a sudden things start to go a bit fuzzy and I'd feel although I knew where I was and what I was doing, I didn't feel a part of it. It's a very alarming feeling that often launched me right into a panic attack.

It wasn't until years later I heard the term 'depersonalization'. It was somewhat relieving to know it was a "thing". I agree that withdrawal from meds/alcohol can trigger it. Just remember that it will pass!
Old 09-27-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suffered two bouts of depersonalization that lasted for about 1-2 months each. It was quite scary. I didn't feel like I was myself, but rather like I was someone that I knew vicariously. My hopes and dreams had to be "recalled" from memory, but they didn't quite feel "mine," they felt sterile and elicited no emotion.

I am not sure I can say it's completely gone, as I still get that weird "feels like a movie" sensation here and there, but I am emotionally much better and don't think about it much any more.

One thing I found was to stop googling it and stop going to DP/DR forums where I read some very scary, depressing, and abysmal posts. The posts just heightened my anxiety, which heightened the DP in a viscous circle (just like addiction).

Stay positive, accept the way are feeling, and know it will get better. It did for me. Just give it some time and acceptance.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Regardless- I would not stop a/d meds without medical supervision...

not you, me.

Support to you
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today Wastinglife?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Did you taper off the antidepressants with the guide of a GP? I’m on one now and the thought of coming off alcohol and antidepressants at the same time is a bit scary to me.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I feel emotionally numb. Had bad anxiety/insomnia all weekend, Monday. I finally fell asleep Tuesday morning, woke up and all anxiety was gone. I have major stressors in my life that have me constantly anxious. Now, I feel nothing. Absolutely no worry at all. I think of my problems and I don't care. It's weird, but relaxing. I think my brain just shut down something as a defense mechanism. Anxiety made it short-circuit. I feel so calm.
I can't speak from an alcoholism/drug point of view but I know exactly what you mean. I believe you are correct, this is a brain defense mechanism.

The brain/body actually has it's own defenses. While many use mood altering things to bring about a numbness or calm, your body can actually and does actually know what to do.

Doesn't mean it's a great place to be and I hope you do have trusted people you discuss this with, lowering the anxiety, of course, should help with this.