Notices

7 months

Old 09-24-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 months

Today is 7.

In a bit of a funk of late. Not feeling the greatest, I think I picked up a bug from the kind people at work who thought it courageous to 'soldier' through even though they were sick. Frankly, I find that aggravating.

It's got me a bit triggered though. My health is a concern. At 44 I have a rheumatoid arthritis like condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis and like a lot of things lingering from my drinking days I neither took basic care of myself nor ever established half-assed responsible routines like a relationship with a doc, etc.. I'm not in terrible shape, but joint pain and fatigue from my body fighting inflammation gets old. And I don't feel like i do as much as I can to help it.

It's something I need to turn my attention to... started to this past weekend with some real changes to my diet. Exercise is next.

The conditions of my confinement (which continues until mid-January) don't make it easy nor convenient at all to get to a doc. I'm also not looking forward to filtering through doctors to find one that isn't just pushing pills or procedures. Fear is there also. I've been a smoker for a long time as well.

So yea. I gotta face that stuff. Get it cleaned up. I'll feel better. In the meantime I'm just complaining and Mr. Crabby pants about it.

Good news - I applied for and received my license (occupational) today. So I can now drive myself to work again. Hooray!

Very content in my sobriety. Not so content with my health. Still a bit cynical about the world in general at times. And mostly probably a bit too hard on myself as usual. But I'm quite content in my sobriety.

I do get curious about people's fascination with alcohol though. I mean... I get it in certain occasions or settings. And yes I'm probably hyper-sensitive to it. But damn people seem obsessed with it in conversation. And I suspect there's a lot of boasting going on - people posturing that they drink a heck of a lot more than what they really do. I find it... enigmatic. And frankly boring. I mean, really, is that all there is to life to talk about? Or do people just use it as small talk to avoid having to get too personal or deep? Yawn.

Hope peeps are well. Just 'cuz I'm silent doesn't mean I'm not lurking around reading from time to time.

-B
Old 09-24-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months. Keep it up.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 7 months Buckley!! When I got sober I thought if it as a full physical and mental overhaul. I really focused on making healthy choices, gettting a little exercise every day, usually a walk or easy hike, need to add some strength training.

You could always find some exercise routines online until you can get back outside. You're also smart to find a good doctor, ask friend and colleagues who have the same insurance if they can recommend anyone to you.

Keep up the great work Buckley.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Buckley

D
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I understand re: the dr. I found one who practices integrative medicine. Which means that she practices western medicine in a holistic (as in looking at humans as whole organisms) manner. She doesn’t push meds but doesn’t prescribe tea instead of chemo, if you follow. Anyway I didn’t know that key word, “integrative medicine” before and I had a hard time finding a dr who I could stomach working with. She even saw me for 45 minutes which I hear is very rare! And accepts standard US insurance. And, has a big sign in the waiting room saying she will not write Rx for opioids for any patient for any reason. Dunno if that helps you - I wish I’d known a while ago to look for that key phrase.

I also hear you on the drinking talk. I went through that annoyance, then found focusing on me and my own state of mind more than anything else just naturally drifted me away from those conversations. I remember this one time, I spaced out in one of those conversations and then looked at the woman and said “huh.” Not “huh?” But “huh.” It was obvious that I was bored. She looked embarrassed. I didn’t feel bad.

Glad you got your license. 7 months is awesome. Congrats and keep going. It gets better.