Notices

Still drinking but cutting down

Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You may be able to get free rehab under Queensland Health - it won't be the Hilton but it won't cost you your house or your car either.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/public.../atod/services

what have to got to lose by finding out?

D
Thanks Dee. I didn't know about that.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I realised I can't go to rehab anyway. I have 2 heart tests coming up. And my neurologist wants me to see a physiotherapist about balance problems. I will look into detox instead. Thanks everyone for your concern. My brain is muddled atm. I upped my drinking again last night so tapering isn't working.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

There's a place I can go where you are allowed to vape. Will try and book in asap. No valium given though.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

Government rehab isn't likely to be very long - probably the standard 28 days.

Its under Qld health so I think you could probably work around your appointment commitments, especially if you're in the public system?
Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

Crisis Care, or the numbers Dee gave you for inpatient try,y sound like your best plan right now. You have tried to quit on your own, and haven't been able to, and I worry about your health getting worse with the amount your are drinking.

Call your car loan and ask if you can skip one month, sometimes they are willing to let you do that. Call the numbers and try to get yourself checked in for a month, that will give you a solid base and you can continue with AA after.

You can talk to your cardiologist and reschedule the tests for after you get out. I know you can do this, but I do not think you can do it on your own at this point.

Sending lots of love your way.

❤️Delilah
Old 09-20-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I realised I can't go to rehab anyway. I have 2 heart tests coming up. And my neurologist wants me to see a physiotherapist about balance problems. I will look into detox instead. Thanks everyone for your concern. My brain is muddled atm. I upped my drinking again last night so tapering isn't working.
Everything you said there would seem to make rehab really sensible to get you started in sobriety.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

If they offer free rehab,there's really no excuse to stop you from going(if you really want to stop drinking). If you're not working and receiving govt. asst. that should still come in and cover your car note. You'd probably, in a sense, make money in the short and long run with rehab,because you'd not be pouring it down your throat for a few days and gain a nice start on never drinking again once you're home.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How are you Sweeti ? I honestly do care and apologies for being Miss Grumpy the other day.
The rehab idea from Dee sounds like a good plan to me
Here for ya babe x
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I really do hope you make the decision to go in-patient rehab. I know it's a tough decision. Spending maybe a month with people you don't know and having to make changes to have a sober life is beyond scary. Maybe look at it this way; you will be around people that are going through the same thing you are going through and be in a professional environment with all the medical help you will need. A detox center is helpful, but can do little in helping you to make the changes in your life that will keep you sober. Whenever I have to make a major decision, I always ask myself two questions. Is it the right thing to do, and is it the smart thing to do. If my answer to both questions is yes, then I know it's the right thing to do. John
Old 09-21-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm wondering how you are too, Sweeti. Thoughts are there with you - hope it's going ok.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Sweeti,

Checking in to see how you're doing.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm ok. Still cutting down which is hard work. There's no free rehab. They take 85 % of your pension. I have been continuing with Aa online meetings which take up half my day. Cardiologist is in 2 days.. Thanks everyone for being there for me.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry the rehab suggestion didn't work out for you, sweetichick...the 85% thing with Qld Health surprises me ...are you totally sure that apples to pensions and not just newstart?

I know OZcare charges $175/week, but its possible to do that through a Centrelink loan.

Lucinda House, Taringa – Women only

We assess all applicants for suitability with an initial assessment over the phone and a comprehensive assessment face to face. You may be placed on a waitlist and be asked to keep in contact while waiting for a vacancy.

Service hours: Monday to Friday, 6am to 2.30pm

Rooms: 5

Costs: $175 per week, which can be paid by Centrepay or direct debit

I'd ring ADIS again to talk about all your options.

The Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) is a confidential phone service that offers information, advice, counselling and referral for alcohol and other drug issues, available 24 hours a day.

To find your nearest service call:

ADIS on 1800 177 833
13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84).

So when so you think you'll be down to zero in your taper?

D
Old 09-24-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

1.2 litre of spirit is 40 standard Australian drinks. In UK 1.0 litre is 40 standard drinks. It is a lot and tapering seems sensible to prevent withdrawal.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Today it is down to 2 bottles of 8 standard drinks. I have been finding it very hard. I basically can't eat much or I throw up. In theory it's meant to be drop one drink a day.. Tomorrow I will cut back to 10 just see how today goes first. I tapered down and then went back up again. I am trying to avoid all triggers and work the AA program. Thanks for caring everyone especially Dee.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Are you going to tell your doctors about your drinking? They aren’t going to be able to really help you otherwise. Heart issues, neuropathy, balance problems (think it could be the drink maybe??). The first step to improving any of those conditions would be to stop with the booze. Anything else is probably mostly a waste of time at this point (or like sticking a finger in the dam). I’m not a doctor though. I can tell you my heart palpitations have disappeared after quitting.

Sweetichick I’m worried you’re going to keep rationalizing against seeking help until you go to the grave. We absolutely do NOT want that! I’m praying you can find the strength to do this.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

All my doctor's know about my drinking. I am not rationalising just being realistic. Lucinda House for example has a huge waiting list. I know you are only writing out of concern. AA is hard work ATM. The program is tough to live by. If it's not working by next week I will look into other options. ATM I am trying to get hold of some valium from my psychiatrist to detox with. His secretary has been on answering machine all day. I know I will die if I don't change something.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I’m glad to hear you are honest with your doctors (I know I wasn’t). I agree that the first thing will mainly be getting through detox. Then I hope you’ve got a plan. AA can be tough for me too sometimes. I had to do step 10 again with my wife yesterday... That’s a hard one for me. But, it turned a nice day that I was making go downhill fast into a great day. I have seen that doing the difficult things in AA or in treatment always paid in the long run.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AtomicBlue View Post
I’m glad to hear you are honest with your doctors (I know I wasn’t). I agree that the first thing will mainly be getting through detox. Then I hope you’ve got a plan. AA can be tough for me too sometimes. I had to do step 10 again with my wife yesterday... That’s a hard one for me. But, it turned a nice day that I was making go downhill fast into a great day. I have seen that doing the difficult things in AA or in treatment always paid in the long run.
Thanks for that Atomic. As hard as it's been this last year tb honest I have. I don't know yet if I have a real heart problem. Tomorrow I get the results. Congrats on doing a step 10 with your wife and for having a great day afterwards.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow, sweeti.