Notices

Now or never, day one

Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Longlady View Post
Have had to stop myself a few times today thinking that this is forever and getting a bit overwhelmed ….. Just thinking of today at the moment.
Forever is a long time. But you only need to deal with it today. One day at a time. That's all it takes.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yep as AAPJ has stated, don't make it seem too overwhelming by seeing it as 'forever'. Being overwhelmed by the challenge will put you at risk of failure. Each day tell yourself 'I will be sober today'. Each day is a step in the right direction and each step gets easier and easier as you get used to taking them.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on this wonderful decision, & on your Day 1. We're all here for you, & we know you can do this Longlady.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations ! Awesome news

‘Forever’ and ‘Never again’ scare the crap out of and **** off my Beast to no end , and my AV tries to make it seem like the real Me is scared or pissed about getting out from under the hellish slavish shackles of addition.

I prefer to push and revel in the notions of never and forever and then focus on and sense the Beast’s fear and irritation , realize it isn’t mine and smile

I’m free , how on earth can that make me anxious or disappointed?

Again , congratulations, let yourself enjoy your freedom, you deserve it
Old 09-18-2018, 10:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You set up a plan to quit, tapered down, and now you're on the road. Good for you!! Rooting for you.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 3. Didn't sleep very well last night, think the physical cravings have probably kicked in so just got to ride it out.

I know day 3-5 is my worst from previous attempts. I will be on and off here today. I'm still very aware that I'm running out of chances now so I'm going to make this work as I'm gambling with my health and happiness if I carry on drinking. I need to keep telling myself this when the AV starts.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

You can do this Longlady, one day at a time, one hour at a time! Why not write a letter to yourself with all the reasons you want to stop, the impacts it is having on your health and relationships (be brutally honest), how it feels when your hung over and anxious and full of regret. Everytime you get a craving, read that letter. I found it helped having it on a piece of paper in my pocket all the time for the first few weeks.

Best of luck for today, you'll get through this xx
Old 09-19-2018, 02:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've thrown out my "hangover outfit" this morning, while I was hanging up clothes I found it in the pile and thought I don't need that any more so it's in the charity shop bag. Isn't it ridiculous that I have an outfit specifically for being hungover! It's a long baggy t-shirt which I wouldn't leave the house in but was comfy but I probably looked a mess.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So happy to hear your updates. I especially like the hangover outfit part- I had my go tos, whether for home or sorry-looking ventures out. And big stuff like the family drama,,,takes time but there is lots of hope for it changing so much as we change.

Keep going!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep moving forward long lady - you're doing great

D
Old 09-19-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Longlady you are doing this. Day 3 is fabulous. It's going to feel so good to get some sober time behind you. No need to ever revisit that miserable existence!

Love the hangover outfit...I guess I had one too, come to think of it. Mine was a paisley mumu sort of thing.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey, Longlady--brilliant decision to quit--sobriety will improve your life in every way imaginable. I hope you keep going strong and stick around here; SR has been a vital part of my getting and staying sober.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 7. I needed to read back my first post to remind me why I'm stopping. It's like after a few days I forget and start thinking I can't have been that bad and could have the occasional drink. I know I can't but that little voice says otherwise but I'm ignoring it as it's wrong.

Anyway it's been a whole week! I got through Saturday night unscathed, had a big dinner which I don't normally as it would interfere with the drinking.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:27 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Brilliant!
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I reread old posts! Keep going- you can do it.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
quat

" I got through Saturday night unscathed, had a big dinner which I don't normally as it would interfere with the drinking."

The scathing is in your hands, keep ignoring that stupidly wrong voice

" had a big dinner, which I normally didn't as it would have interfered with drinking" , tense use is important especially in thinking, the thinking that keeps using the present tense of all things booze , is It and by definition ignore-able , rootin for ya
Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Longlady View Post
I've thrown out my "hangover outfit" this morning, while I was hanging up clothes I found it in the pile and thought I don't need that any more so it's in the charity shop bag. Isn't it ridiculous that I have an outfit specifically for being hungover! It's a long baggy t-shirt which I wouldn't leave the house in but was comfy but I probably looked a mess.
Too funny that this is a thing, but me too! Delightfully ratty oversized t shirt and old yoga pants, combined with a messy head of hair piled on top and (optional) comfy blanket draped around me for watching bad TV in.
Now binned. I'm not sending that bad karma into the world!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well done LongLady!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

LOL at hangover outfit. My entire wardrobe was my hangover outfit, and my dryer was my dresser!
I'm glad those days are over.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Day 10, double figures!!