Notices

Well, I'm back...

Old 09-19-2018, 04:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I'm back...

I made it 1 month without any alcohol, then one stressful day I figured, I've been good, what's the harm having a few drinks, even getting drunk just tonight? So I did and then made it another week and had some more. Then, a week and a half ago, I went through two fifths of vodka in 2 days and on Sunday night of that weekend I went out to buy another, started drinking it and then my wife found it (at this point she could tell I was really drunk). Needless to say that was a bad weekend and a sign that I need more help than I thought to kick this.

The worst part is that my parents noticed how drunk I was a couple weekends ago (and it's not the first time they've noticed) - there's nothing worse than having your dad call you on a weeknight to say, "Your mother and I are concerned about you..."

I decided to make an appointment with a therapist who specializes in alcohol abuse (big step for me as I've never bothered seeking help of any sort).

Ugh, what a mess I've become...

I think I need to do myself a favor and stick to this website's forums like glue. I need to be more active here.

Anyway, today is day 1 (again) - wish me luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wishing you lots of love and blessings from God
Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Read all my post. Going back even if for a day never works. I am sad to say that I am still struggling too.

Our situations are so similar and we are almost the same age. There is a reason for the masking. Find out out what you are masking with the vodka.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Wayfarer, welcome back. I am an alcoholic who got sober when I was 22. I remember my father coming looking for me when I hadn't been seen for a few days. I had some school mates who were, at the time, alcohol abusers, but they stopped when other things caught their interest. They had the good fortune that when they stopped or moderated, all problems and consequences from drinking also stopped.

I found when I tried to stop, things just got worse. That's alcoholism. Booze wasn't the problem, it was the solution.

As I read your story It reminded me of why this is sometimes called a disease. It has a definite and predictable pathology. What happened to you also happened to me and millions of others. It is written about in detail in the book Alcoholics Anonymous, which you can access on line free.

And there is a way out. Posting here is a good start. All the best,
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's always a good idea to post here for inspiration.

Maybe you could make a plan for what to do the next time when you think of taking a drink. Be prepared and hopefully find a healthy way to deal with it. I'm glad you're back.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Well done for coming back and getting some additional support. I did a month earlier this year and at 31 days did the same as you, then decided that I couldn’t do it on my own, got support and a good recovery plan and haven’t looked back since.

Take care and be kind to yourself xx
Old 09-19-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck Wayfarer

Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I made it 1 month without any alcohol, then one stressful day I figured, I've been good, what's the harm having a few drinks, even getting drunk just tonight? So I did and then made it another week and had some more. Then, a week and a half ago, I went through two fifths of vodka in 2 days and on Sunday night of that weekend I went out to buy another, started drinking it and then my wife found it (at this point she could tell I was really drunk). Needless to say that was a bad weekend and a sign that I need more help than I thought to kick this.

The worst part is that my parents noticed how drunk I was a couple weekends ago (and it's not the first time they've noticed) - there's nothing worse than having your dad call you on a weeknight to say, "Your mother and I are concerned about you..."

I decided to make an appointment with a therapist who specializes in alcohol abuse (big step for me as I've never bothered seeking help of any sort).

Ugh, what a mess I've become...

I think I need to do myself a favor and stick to this website's forums like glue. I need to be more active here.

Anyway, today is day 1 (again) - wish me luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sending you well wishes!