Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

There's a big empty space in the house that should be filled with Jack.

Notices

There's a big empty space in the house that should be filled with Jack.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Billie knows Jack is gone cause now she doesn't bother to lick his empty dish in hope that he left a crumb. She always waited for him to finish, and then would lick the dish. Now she knows there's nothing in his dish anymore.

I am not holding up very well. And I was looking forward to my appt with my shrink on Tuesday but I have to cancel and make another one cause Tuesday is the day I take my brother to the hospital for his surgery. I hope I can get in sometime this week. I need to vent to my doctor and he's a good listener.

I have noticed Billie has been really quiet since yesterday. I wish I could speak 'dog'. I'd ask her how she's feeling.

Lily will not come into the den. She sits in the doorway and meows but won't come in. I know she misses Jack. He was her favorite dog.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am here love....sorry I wasn't around today.....thinking of you every second. ♥♥
Old 09-16-2018, 05:45 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

The reaction of the other animals is so sad.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:47 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

So sorry ��. Give yourself time to mourn and know that the intense pain you are feeling will eventually fade. I am glad you are scheduling some time with your doctor to help process this loss.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:59 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Really sorry for your loss.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

So much love to you. Thanks for being such a good human for Jack.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hugs to you least. I know how much your animals mean to you.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Mr

I hope you feel better and I hope your brother will be ok.

RIP Jack.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I went to my vet today and donated the rest of Jack's food. They will give it to someone whose dog eats the same food.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

((Least))

Jack was loved and cherished each day. I know you took care of him when he couldn't take care of himself. I hope this brings you peace and your heart mends soon.

Love and Prayers
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

least, I just found this thread and I am so, so sorry for your loss. You were with me through the loss of my Basset Boy, Ned, earlier this year, and I am with you in the same way.

You are both in my heart, and I will burn my little lamp for both of you. My heart hurts to think of your sorrow.

My vet called Ned "old man" too...
Old 09-17-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hi Least,

Animals' love is unconditional, which I think is why we feel such emptiness when they leave. My beloved pugs passed 2 Septembers ago, weeks apart from each other. They were 13 and 15, so they lived long happy lives, but still. The grief and adjustment period was awful...we were a tribe, and I didn't really remember my life without them being there. I had never had dogs before them.

I didn't handle it very well...crying spells/panic attacks at work...Bringing the rest of their food to the local shelter felt terrible. A friend that lived closer to it offered to do it for me and I gratefully took her up on that.

I'll echo what Opivitol said, about how Jack was so cherished and cared for, and if anything hopefully you can find peace in knowing that. A friend told me, "you gave those pugs a better life than they ever could have possibly dreamed of." I'm sure you did the same for Jack. It won't make his absence any easier, but I do believe there is a certain peace in the knowledge that we gave our pups the best life possible in the time we had them.

Pls feel free to message me if you ever need an ear.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I'm so sorry for your loss least. Take care.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lily seems to have accepted Jack's death, cause she'll come in the den now and let me pet her. She loved Jack and this has hit her hard. She lost her buddy Freddie in May, and now her other buddy Jack is gone.

I feel so badly for her in her sorrow. We talk about it a lot and I know she understands me.

sigh...
Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

It's so hard for ourselves to lose our dog friends but I think it's even worse to see them mourn each other...

I'm glad you and Lily can talk about it. Daisy is better than she was when Ned first left us, back in March, but she is not the same dog she once was, and I don't know that she will ever be. I'm doing my best to make however much time she has left (end-stage renal disease, per the vet, and unpredictable how well or poorly she may do for how long) the best I can.

Hugs to you and Lily.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Lily is coming in the den now like she used to do. She lies there and sometimes talks to me, but mostly just lies there contemplating. Maybe she's thinking about Jack. They were very close, tho it embarrassed him a bit, her overt affection. He tolerated it tho, and she was not shy about loving him.

She lost her feline buddy Freddie in May so she's still missing him, and now Jack is gone too. That's a lot of loss for one little cat.

I remember when you lost Ned. God, the pain is overwhelming for a while.

This helps me to articulate my feelings about it.

“We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan.”

― Irving Townsend
Old 09-18-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Dear Least

What a beautiful poem. My heartfelt condolences to you and the rest of your animal family who are also mourning the emptiness after Jack's passing.

I have lost many pets - because I've always been surrounded by them - (to my husband's dismay - and each and everytime I lost one or had to let go of one , I said I am not opening myself up to such heartbreak again

The last part of last year and beginning of this year I lost 3 sweet dogs - all due to old age. Two of them dachshunds , brother and sister. A month apart, and then my beloved, cherished, animal-other-half Great Dane, Mable . My family became worried about how deeply I was mourning her. And then our beloved horse - a showjumper ... we took him to our farm a year ago to retire with 3 other horses - and while we were in France - he broke his neck while playing with the others - and had to be euthanized. It was my daughter's horse , and seeing as we were not here, she had to handle it all on her own - my poor poor child.

I then said - no more - no more ! I cannot cope with the heartbreak.
But our Basset , Bentley was mourning so so badly , he wouldn't even eat. And so ... came along Cooper , also a Basset. It was the best thing I could have done for him , even though I swore "no more, no more", even willing myself not to get too fond of him - epic fail there

I grew to accept that I cannot forsake the chance of loving them and having the pleasure of having them in my life , just because I am dreading the day they are not there anymore. They are gifts from heaven - all of them - I love them more than I love humans ,and could never live without them, even knowing they are only "loaned" to us for a too short while.

May you find peace in your heart , knowing that you gave your beloved furball the best that life could possibly have offered him, and that he feels only gratitude and love towards you, up there in doggy heaven, until you meet again.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have told myself I'm not going to get another dog, mainly cause I can't afford it. But if another dog comes into my life, I will not reject it out of hand. But right now, one dog and three cats is plenty.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I am so sorry