Notices

Setting a stopping date

Old 09-12-2018, 02:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I always set a stop date, to which I never stopped.

The moment I stopped was when I was done and had enough.

I was always good for setting a date and then going off the charts until that date. UFTA.
I am so glad I never have to think about that again!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've told this story before, but in my case I just stopped. It was the middle of the week, and there was no ceremony, no selfies with my last beer, no posting to fakebook, I didn't save the empty can or bottle, I don't even remember what brand it was. All I know is I stopped and it still brings tears to my eyes thinking how happy I am that I quit. So the key, in my experience, is to simply stop and not think about stopping. do it.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tried that too

But I must say I said to myself for about a year that I needed to quit. That irking pain in my abdomen. The swear I won’t drink again the day after downing a bottle of wine and 10 bourbon and 7’s.

I said I’m quitting the last day of my trip in Mexico. And I did...

Joined here on day 9. Relapsed 10 days later.

Thankfully it took me only 10 days to stop again.

It’s as someone else said. It was Monday. 5/28. I looked myself in the eye and said. “Enough!” “I want to live and you are NOT killing me!”

Think of it.....

No more broken promises to yourself or others.

No more self loathing.

No more damaging your body with alcohol

I hope you decide (and it IS a decision) soon.

We are here for you❤️
Old 09-12-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

people might say tomorrow never comes, but for me, tomorrow always came, and then it was today again.
the last time i quit, which was almost a dozen years ago, i set a date. this was nothing new. at that time, setting a quit date for booze and cigarettes and such was considered psychologically advantageous...if i remember correctly, the idea was one of "preparing for it".
which sounds rather ridiculous, as one can't, really.
and certainly i had set many postponing dates before.

anyway, i set that date for about three weeks away, and then woke up a couple of days later, had that clarity OMG moment, and quit well ahead of the date.

you can set a date and still quit today
Old 09-13-2018, 12:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself but for me the only time I can ever quit is "now".

I hope setting dates is helpful to others and I love that there is diversity in recovery.

I suffer massively from the thought: "I drank yesterday so I may as well do it for one more day, since it makes such little difference." My last major relapse lasted eight months with that kind of thinking
Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

The author Douglas Adams used to say "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by"...

I didn't like the sound of my quit dates whooshing by but they did just the same
- for *decades*....

I think if you stand on the diving board too long there's less and less chance most of us will take that leap.

D
Old 09-13-2018, 09:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well, I'm going going to say something a little different, but that's just me. I do respect everyone's opinion that has posted. They are wiser and soberer for longer. But, apparently your doctor and you have chosen a different route for I presume good reasons, so I'm gonna try to be somewhat supportive. The fact that you have been able to limit and control your drinking and taper down is good. To me, IMHO, that sounds like your drinking hasn't gotten to the point that once you pick up a drink for the evening, all bets are off. and you drink yourself senseless. However, the fact that you can limit your drinking may lull you into thinking, "Hey, I am doing okay. I'll just go one week longer this way so I can have a couple drinks when we go out to dinner with the so-and-sos and then I'll quit." THAT kind of devil-on-your shoulder voice can really throw a monkey wrench into your plans to get sober. Next thing you know, you're having three or four drinks with the so-and-sos, and then quitting gets postponed until after the holidays, etc.

Tomorrow does happen to be Friday, so if the weekend is your quitting time, use tomorrow to stock up on things like ice cream, chocolate, nutritious food, fun things to distract you at cocktail time, like great flavored fizzy waters are a good substitute. Then surprise yourself and the little devil and tell yourself "Today I quit." Good luck! I'll join you in not drinking tomorrow night.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Longlady

How are you? Is today day 1? If so, I hope it's a day full of peace at the thought of a life without need or use of alcohol.

Stay close.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael2018 View Post
Longlady

How are you? Is today day 1? If so, I hope it's a day full of peace at the thought of a life without need or use of alcohol.

Stay close.
Thankyou for checking up on me. Today is my day 1. I'm feeling positive about this and relieved I've never got to drink again but I'll do a new post later to get it all out so I can look back at it.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you long lady

D
Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good for you!