Notices

Boobytrap!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boobytrap!

My partner baked some flapjacks/cookies I had a bite of one and spat it out!
Tasted like alcohol somehow.
I looked at the vanilla ingredient and it had ethanol in it.
She only used a cap full, yet it overpowered th taste of the treat.

The very next day I had one of my mums chocolate truffles & again spat it out and rinsed my mouth out. Looked at the ingredients and alcohol was in them.

Scared me quite a bit. Could a boozy truffle get me back on the slippery slope?

Do you think I overreacted?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Snowy

I know some folks ridicule the idea that alcohol in food might lead us back to drinking - and they may be right for them, who knows?

I feel 'right' in myself in not taking the chance, so no - not an overreaction for me.

I find the taste of alcohol really overpowering and unpleasant now anyway. I don't miss it, and have no culinary need to add it.

D
Old 09-10-2018, 01:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think you over-reacted if that is important for you.

I personally use vanilla extract in my baking and don't notice the alcohol or feel I am not sober in any way.

I used to cook with alcohol, wine mostly, but after relapsing on cooking wine I stopped doing that.

I will not order or eat any desserts with alcohol in them. Things like tiramisu or chocolates with rum. I can fully taste the alcohol and nothing has been cooked off so it doesn't feel right or sober to me.

While I will no longer use wine in my home cooking many dishes here in Italy are prepared with a splash of wine and if out at a restaurant I don't worry about that and I honestly don't notice the taste of the alcohol or feel triggered. The only exception to this being steamed mussels. They are generally prepared with a lot of white wine which is included in the final presentation as a sauce to soak pieces of bread in. I love them, but don't feel sober ordering them as I taste/notice the wine. If I am really having a hankering for them I will ask that they be prepared in a different way and everywhere I have asked this has been accommodating.