Notices

First Night

Old 09-04-2018, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Night

I have not been sober for more than a total of 10 nights the past six years. Maybe less.

I have no idea what to expect, or if I even want to see what this is like. The truth is that I’m scared.

I threw away all alcohol in my house last night. Thank you for reading.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ime...I had to suffer through hellish and mental anguish to find this much grace.

It was hell on earth.

Thankfully, even from day 1, there were moments of peace that made me believe I would find the end of suffering.

I had paranoia, off and on, that quelled to almost nothing.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Case. Welcome to SR. I was in your shoes. First day is the hardest. Get through it. I promise you that, if you get through this, it will absolutely be worth it. There are thousands of others on this board that will say the exact same thing. Congratulations on making a decision that is likely to save your life. Don't give in. Don't give up. Fight through these first few days!
Old 09-04-2018, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Case,

Welcome to SR! Throwing out all of the alcohol was a great start. Spend some time reading and posting on here, it is a wonderful source of support.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How are you doing this morning, Case?
Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can’t believe how much better I feel. I was at work over an hour early. I know it is impossible that I can get back to ‘normal’ after one night, but I really do feel much better. Thank you all for your support, it means a lot.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Case, it gets even better.

My advice is to make a note of exactly how good you feel now, and everything that's gone well for you today. That way, if a craving hits in a few days, you can remind yourself just how good it is to have sobriety.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Case1982 View Post
I can’t believe how much better I feel. I was at work over an hour early. I know it is impossible that I can get back to ‘normal’ after one night, but I really do feel much better. Thank you all for your support, it means a lot.
That's a pretty damn good start!

One of two things are very likely to happen soon. One, the cravings will come or something stressful will occur that make you want to turn to alcohol. Two, you will continue to feel good, which will lead some part of your brain to try to convince you that you 'really weren't that bad' or 'really don't have a problem.' Many, many people have fallen for one or both of these false flags, only to have their problem worsen. Be on your guard. Keep going. You won't regret it.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, Case. This is the best place ever for encouragement & friendship. You are doing great - be proud.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Case. Glad you are here on SR and that you experienced a great first day sober! Keep going, it gets better!
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going Case? Welcome aboard

D
Old 09-06-2018, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberandhonest View Post
That's a pretty damn good start!

One of two things are very likely to happen soon. One, the cravings will come or something stressful will occur that make you want to turn to alcohol. Two, you will continue to feel good, which will lead some part of your brain to try to convince you that you 'really weren't that bad' or 'really don't have a problem.' Many, many people have fallen for one or both of these false flags, only to have their problem worsen. Be on your guard. Keep going. You won't regret it.
I can feel literally every one of these things happening. I’m glad to know it isn’t just me.

I have not had a drink since Monday. I can’t believe how much of my time and life revolved around looking forward to when I was going to get to drink again. It’s a wild feeling when the urge to drink comes on so strong, out of nowhere, seemingly.

I don’t fall asleep in meetings now, even when I’ve had to work late and hard the day before. Even my face looks different. I can’t say everything is roses in my life, but I like how I feel now much better.

Each post here really has made a difference for me. Thank you all.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you're doing well Case
Old 09-07-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Keep it up Case! These are the most trying times. Get through them. Just find a way. Things will get easier soon. If you want some extra motivation, read up on kindling.

Keep posting! There are a whole bunch of people cheering for you!