SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The voice is on top form this afternoon. Help! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/432055-voice-top-form-afternoon-help.html)

allishope73 09-06-2018 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Bumboid;7004659]So I'm on day 7, I've had a little bit of stress and I'm by myself today. The voice is telling me to go get a bottle.

Any advice would be gratefully received to tell him to go away, and how I can get away from the urge to subdue the stress feeling without alcohol!?

An hour ago I felt great! FFS.[/QUOT

Hi drink plenty of water and wait another hour. 7 days is awesome you passed acute withdrawals not worth to go through this again. I know this voice ... if you keep it in head its gonna win . Get busy . Call a friend whatever post here. I pray you manage . Love X

Unshackled 09-06-2018 08:44 AM

Eat something till you get full it should help a lot.

tekink 09-06-2018 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Unshackled (Post 7004682)
Eat something till you get full it should help a lot.

Yup, have some food and get some exercise, change of scenery, fresh air.

MantaLady 09-06-2018 09:01 AM

These cravings come and go, and like you said you felt great an hour ago and may feel great again in an hour. Play the tape forward, walk it through in your mind, fast forward to the bit where you have had too much and what usually happens for you, really imagine the feeling when you wake up hungover full of self loathing and guilt. Go for a brisk walk, look for a recipe you could cook, organise your sock drawer, call someone for a chat...anything to keep you occupied and I promise you this feeling will pass, you can do this!! xx

MantaLady 09-06-2018 09:04 AM

Just to add a walk is one of the best ideas and eating something. Your brain is looking for those happy chemicals you usually use alcohol to provide but the same chemicals can be provided by exercise and food. xx

MantaLady 09-06-2018 09:22 AM

You can exercise indoors, put on some music and dance like a lunatic for one song haha!

Hawking22 09-06-2018 09:26 AM

You've got this! Stay strong and keep busy. It's unfortunately something we can't reason with so we have to jump over it.

ChloeRose63 09-06-2018 09:31 AM

Eat something indulgent like ice cream!

Nonsensical 09-06-2018 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bumboid (Post 7004725)
That voice is telling me it doesn't matter, nobody will know, you can stop again tomorrow. What a nightmare.

Imagine you are in the grocery store and someone came up to you and told you your shirt was on fire. You look down and you can see that your shirt is not on fire.

Do you stop drop and roll anyway?
Do you argue with this odd person telling you your shirt is on fire?
Is it a nightmare?

That voice in my head was annoying, but it was my reaction to it that caused all my real suffering.

Best of Luck on Your Journey! :ring

tekink 09-06-2018 11:50 AM

Congrats! Every win makes it a little easier to push on. There's a great thread around here on "urge surfing" that was really helpful for me.

doggonecarl 09-06-2018 12:44 PM

I used to drink to quell the voice in my head. But the day after drinking there was always a new voice, one calling me stupid and worthless, shaming me, adding to my guilt.

Frankly, the voice telling me to drink was easier to deal with.

MantaLady 09-06-2018 12:47 PM

Great job B! xx

Atlast9999 09-06-2018 02:29 PM

I posted awhile ago about the voice screaming at me while I was chopping vegetables. Dee had a great statement on that thread. He said to imagine the voice as a screaming toddler and to not engage with the voice. Eventually, it will wear itself out.

Every time I hear the voice now, I visualize a screaming toddler. It seems to help.

Dee74 09-06-2018 04:10 PM

I'm glad you're doing better B, but for future reference there's some great ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html

D