Notices

Day 15 getting bored

Old 09-04-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 15 getting bored

Well it has been 15 days and I am getting extremely bored and moody. I really don't have a desire to drink because I think I have finally realized it does me no good only bad comes from it. I am starting to look and feel so much better so why the thoughts of sadness about not drinking?
Old 09-04-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 15 days Unshackled, glad to hear you are seeing some benefits of feeling and looking better. Regarding being "bored", have you made any other changes to your lifestyle besides just not drinking alcohol? I needed to make some serious changes in my life in the places I went, things I did, people I did them with, etc. There's an entire world of possibilities out there to try now that you aren't tied to the drinking cycle anymore.

Certainly many people feel sad/loss when alcohol is not there anymore - addiction doesn't just disappear when we quit drinking. Drinking literally alters your brain chemistry, so it takes time to re-learn life without being sedated/depressed all the time. Eating right, getting better sleep, exercise can all help get there. Some of us have underlying issues we need to address too - I dealt with pretty severe anxiety for example, and I needed to treat that.

Bottom line though, you are doing great and 15 days is fantastic. Keep trying new things every day and you'll be surprised how far you can get.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ime...bored is code for crave.

Booze causes brain damage that altered my ability to enjoy normal things.

I still get bored at times. Sometimes I go see shows, shopping, work out etc.

Sometimes, like now, I just sit around and surf the web or TV. That is what sober people do.

It beats dieng of organ failure while going insane.

Agree?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Restless irritable and discontent is the phrase that springs to mind.

What does you're recovery plan look like? Might be it's time to add something in.

BB
Old 09-05-2018, 01:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I am not religious myself but the phrase “the devil makes work for idle hands” certainly rang true for me in my first few weeks of sobriety. I did 30 days first time round but white knuckled my recovery, didn’t really have a well thought out plan, didn’t really change anything other than just not drinking and relapsed.

I am now at 86 days, have a well crafted plan, have made real tangible changes in my life, started meditation and mindfulness, educated myself on addiction, joined SMART meetings and this time feels more solid. I also have to accept that sometimes life can be boring, it’s not always going to be fun and exciting and that is normal and it’s ok.

Best of luck xx
Old 09-05-2018, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the responses I have been exercising daily and finally picked up my guitar again. I think it might be about time to go to an AA meeting it would be my first one.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Unshackled View Post
Thanks for all the responses I have been exercising daily and finally picked up my guitar again. I think it might be about time to go to an AA meeting it would be my first one.
Sounds like a good plan. How do you feel about that?

BB
Old 09-05-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I fought boredom for quite awhile. Then the boredom converted over to freedom because I realized I could do anything. I was not drunk, hungover or in withdrawal. Opened up a whole new life.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Berrybean I am a little nervous about going to an AA meeting but on the other hand my Dad has been a member for 40+ years and I see what it has done for him. He is a great role model and an incredibly awesome human being.