Notices

?

Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

?

Obviously new here. Five and a half months sober. Things are going great. Lost 30 lbs, eat well, exercise, works great. Etc.. For some reason it just hit me like a brick.. I don’t drink anymore. While that should be a good feeling, for some reason it isn’t. Feels like I’ve been blocking things out and just coasting, which is exactly what I did when I was drinking. I’m sorry if this makes no sense. I needed to vent and I don’t go to meetings.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome accord

for me the great thing about being sober is if I don;t like something about my life I can change it.

I'm used to dealing with things again rather than avoiding them.

I was definitely looking for meaning or purpose in my new sober life - I found both here in this forum - but there's no telling what your answer to your existential question might be

It can be exciting finding out tho

all the best,
D
Old 09-05-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! And I hear you. I feel that way often, or at least I used to. Have you considered therapy or even attending AA mtgs? I am good at dissociation, but then all of those feelings come crashing down at once and it makes me vulnerable to drinking. Maybe you can start trying to deal with the stuff you think you’re blocking out now? Talking usually helps, which is why I asked about therapy and AA.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Accord1 View Post
Obviously new here. Five and a half months sober. Things are going great. Lost 30 lbs, eat well, exercise, works great. Etc.. For some reason it just hit me like a brick.. I don’t drink anymore. While that should be a good feeling, for some reason it isn’t. Feels like I’ve been blocking things out and just coasting, which is exactly what I did when I was drinking. I’m sorry if this makes no sense. I needed to vent and I don’t go to meetings.
Congratulation on being 5 1/2 month sober. Sounds like things are pretty good. Venting is helpful, posting here, talking it out with friends etc. I won't suggest meetings because you said you don't go . Neither do I but I might go to one at noon today. If only for the cookies .
Old 09-05-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses. Everything seems to make more sense. I tried going to meetings; really tried. I’ve heard nothing but good things and the vast majority of people in recovery attend. I am not a religious person to put it mildly and though I’ve heard it said that it’s not really religious, I found it to be, very much so. I also went to counseling for the first month but found myself talking about the same things over and over. I am aware both are effective but different strokes I guess. This forum, even after two days, seems very helpful to me. I’m glad I found it and again appreciate the feedback. Whatever I’m doing is working because like most of us, I’m learning, I never EVER thought it was possible to quit. I can’t remember being happier in general, but the pessimistic part of me is waiting for something bad to happen. Working on that.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't trust that feeling I had for a while...turns out I was happy and damn near content

D