Notices

Angry face

Old 09-04-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry face

Hi everyone

This is my first ever post on here, I decided to quit booze 38 days ago and up until the past few days everything was going alright but then I have been hit with what feels like the biggest emotional roller coaster, I have the shortest of short fuses and I just want to sleep all day....night time seems to be my awake time which is destroying my get up and go ....I guess I'm wondering if this is normal? At almost 5 weeks? Thanks for reading
Old 09-04-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lostbean - it was certainly common for me - it was a real emotional rollercoaster - thinks did settle down eventually tho.

I tried to keep perspective about the things that made me lose my temper...most of them were not really things that were that bad and I could rationalise that the mood swings were to do with early recovery.

Support helps ans well and you'll find a lot of that here

glad to have you join us

D
Old 09-04-2018, 03:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Lost Bean, anything's on the cards when you take away your alcoholic prop and start looking at the world realistically.

Can I suggest you find a course in meditation to try and calm yourself at stressful times? Failing that, try a few deep breaths concentrating on your body. They worked wonders for me when cravings hit.

There's a stack of information out there on how to improve sleep patterns. Make it your project.

Keep up the amazing progress. It's worth it.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope it's normal, because I'm in your boat. I have a pink cloud of happiness at times and can't imagine my life not sober, and hours later want to smash things and throw it all away. My sleep is becoming much less regulated. Sometimes I go to sleep at 1am and wake up at 6, other nights I'm passing out at 9PM and waking at 3AM, sometimes I can go on as little as four hours of sleep for a day and other days I can sleep for nine hours.

I think as others have said on here before our bodies are relearning every possible system again. How to assess, handle, cope and work through our emotions. How to sleep and eat. How to stimulate ourselves without a substance. Etc.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep that was completely normal in early sobriety for me, I was up, down, up down. Mood swings all over the place and my sleep was about 3-4 hours a night if I was lucky. It does settle down but you just got to ride it out .
Old 09-04-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lostbean View Post
short fuses
I had this up until around day 80ish. I still get odd bouts now and then. I believe it's no longer the withdrawal and my anger issues are personality traits that I need to resolve.

But it does get better. My post history has some bits where I was angry a lot. I leave them up for others to mull over and to remind me of what I went through.

Dee knows the score. She helped me a lot.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi lost bean

I’m exactly the same at 42 days. There are lots of us in an emotional washing machine at this point, so much so I’m going to post a ‘6 week madness’ Thread later for mutual support and input from LTS’s. On one thread there is input from fini, if you can find that it’s a good one for this time of sobriety
Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Totally normal, I had that with bouts of apathy thrown in for a solid 6 months. I'm typically very laid back but I had the shortest fuse!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal for early recovery to be a roller coaster of emotions. It will pass and you will settle down with more sober time and good self care.