Notices

Struggling at the weekends

Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling at the weekends

I'm having a tough time at the weekends.

I go to a meeting now on Saturday night, straight after work and that really helps me to cope with that dangerous time, at the beginning of two days off

I just seem to get really stuck after that. Tired, no motivation to do anything productive and then I get really angry at myself and feel negative about everything. I had a day of monster cravings yesterday and worked really hard to stay sober.

I look forward so much to having time off and then do nothing and judge myself really harshly for it. Last weekend was good. I read, did some drawing and went for a swim. This weekend I cant't even get it together to clean the house. Am I just expecting too much of myself just now? Patience has never been a strong point and I think at least I not drink and going to meetings. Aaaahhhh!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weekends are my worst too

It's prime drinking time! I try and fill my weekends with as much activity as possible (chores, little hobbies, projects, Netflix, SR, reading, walking, etc) but I'm still just blah. I feel like none of this is purposeful, it's getting annoying and exhausting to try and find something to do constantly, and I'm still unstimulated and perpetually bored. It's great I'm not drinking but eh, there's only so many things to clean, so many meetings I can go to. I notice that I start to get a rebellious attitude and get bitchy.

My sponsor told me, "so then be rebellious. Eat a whole bag of hot cheetos (my other disgusting addiction lol), wear your pajamas all day and if you want to binge watch an entire season on Netflix, do it and don't beat yourself up. You don't have to be productive and you don't have to have purpose 24 hours a darn day. Sometimes life is boring, and its better than the shenanigans you'd be into if you were drinking instead".

It made me realize this is all normal. Weekends are going to be tough, full of boredom, full of envy toward others, depressing at times and make you feel bad for not wanting to do certain things. But only for now. I guess we're relearning a new way of life and its going to take time. Sorry, I feel like this wasn't much help but I hope you know you're definitely not alone in your sentiments but I do believe that one day we'll look forward to the weekends again. Hang in there
Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawking22 View Post
Weekends are my worst too

It's prime drinking time! I try and fill my weekends with as much activity as possible (chores, little hobbies, projects, Netflix, SR, reading, walking, etc) but I'm still just blah. I feel like none of this is purposeful, it's getting annoying and exhausting to try and find something to do constantly, and I'm still unstimulated and perpetually bored. It's great I'm not drinking but eh, there's only so many things to clean, so many meetings I can go to. I notice that I start to get a rebellious attitude and get bitchy.

My sponsor told me, "so then be rebellious. Eat a whole bag of hot cheetos (my other disgusting addiction lol), wear your pajamas all day and if you want to binge watch an entire season on Netflix, do it and don't beat yourself up. You don't have to be productive and you don't have to have purpose 24 hours a darn day. Sometimes life is boring, and its better than the shenanigans you'd be into if you were drinking instead".

It made me realize this is all normal. Weekends are going to be tough, full of boredom, full of envy toward others, depressing at times and make you feel bad for not wanting to do certain things. But only for now. I guess we're relearning a new way of life and its going to take time. Sorry, I feel like this wasn't much help but I hope you know you're definitely not alone in your sentiments but I do believe that one day we'll look forward to the weekends again. Hang in there
That's actually a massive help, thank you. I think it's another part of acceptance. Accepting that things are going to be tough just now and not to expect miraculous changes over night. I want everything to be better. I want motivation and to be excited about hobbies but I'm just blah too. Cannot be arsed (as we say in Scotland), but maybe that is ok.

Not drinking just now is a success in itself. I was thinking that today. It's been a **** weekend but I made it through sober and that is something in itself. It will just have to be enough and anything extra, like reading, walking etc is a bonus
Old 09-03-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a tough time with weekends too. I was a weekend warrior. I did literally anything and everything to stay busy and stay away from alcohol. I remember going to bed sometimes around 6-7PM and watching TV so I wouldn't drink. Stick with it, it does get easier with time.
Old 09-03-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My favorite weekends are the ones where I get absolutely nothing done!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I had a tough time with weekends too. I was a weekend warrior. I did literally anything and everything to stay busy and stay away from alcohol. I remember going to bed sometimes around 6-7PM and watching TV so I wouldn't drink. Stick with it, it does get easier with time.
I really hope so! I had two naps yesterday just to try and shake off the crappy mood I was in. I was a weekend binger and I don't think I've ever really learned how to manage free time. It's a sad state of affairs at 37. I'm just trying to have faith that this isn't just it. Thanks x
Old 09-03-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
My favorite weekends are the ones where I get absolutely nothing done!
Teach me this! I feel awful, guilty and useless doing nothing. But I'm also really tired and needing some comfort, so maybe it's exactly what I should be doing. It is just hard to let myself do it. x
Old 09-03-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Teach me this! I feel awful, guilty and useless doing nothing. But I'm also really tired and needing some comfort, so maybe it's exactly what I should be doing. It is just hard to let myself do it. x
I work my butt off all week! Sometimes I'll even do extra things during the week to ensure I have at least one of those days off with zero chores. I earned it.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe

Being hungover in bed all Sunday is not really being productive. So comparing doing nothing sober to doing nothing hungover, which is better? Be kind to yourself.

And another thing, what I once called boredom, I now call serenity.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It often helped me to change up my routine - I understand being tired and unmotivated but even a little change like a walk or seeing a movie might help Gabe?

D
Old 09-03-2018, 04:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Gabe,

I have found getting up early on the weekends to go for a walk helps to start my day on a positive, and gets the energy going. Maybe throw a chair and a book in the car and drive to the lake, beach, mountains, trail, track, forest... someplace that you love. After going for a walk you can plop down in that chair and read, or sketch. Sometimes just a change of scenery helps.

You're doing great, give yourself some credit.

❤️Delilah
Old 09-04-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
I work my butt off all week! Sometimes I'll even do extra things during the week to ensure I have at least one of those days off with zero chores. I earned it.
Yep, quite right. I actually did it the wrong way round, sat about and then did some stuff last night. I reckon even a bit of cleaning during the week would help. I'm the same too. I work really hard! Some Neflix is actually ok.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Hi Gabe

Being hungover in bed all Sunday is not really being productive. So comparing doing nothing sober to doing nothing hungover, which is better? Be kind to yourself.

And another thing, what I once called boredom, I now call serenity.
I read this, this morning and had a bit of a chuckly. You are right. I would have sat around drunk, in my PJ's and I wouldn't even remembered the weekend. I woke up today and was so grateful to be going back to work without a hungover.

It's not boredom, so I'm lucky there. It's a stunning lack of motivation. I'll get there. I think I need a bit of a strategy for the weekends. If I start off in the right frame of mind it will help. Thanks Dec
Old 09-04-2018, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It often helped me to change up my routine - I understand being tired and unmotivated but even a little change like a walk or seeing a movie might help Gabe?

D
I think doing something on the Sunday morning is crucial. Just doing something that feels worthwhile. Once I start, I tend to carry on.

I have a habit of sitting in bed, drinking coffee. It feels like a treat for a while but then my body isn't moving and my brain becomes overactive. On reflection, I think getting my body moving before my brain is too awake might really help. A walk would be a good place to start. Dee
Old 09-04-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Gabe,

I have found getting up early on the weekends to go for a walk helps to start my day on a positive, and gets the energy going. Maybe throw a chair and a book in the car and drive to the lake, beach, mountains, trail, track, forest... someplace that you love. After going for a walk you can plop down in that chair and read, or sketch. Sometimes just a change of scenery helps.

You're doing great, give yourself some credit.

❤️Delilah
Thanks Delilah. I'm feeling a bit more positive today. I reckon getting outside more is important just now, before the seasons change. We are stuck in for a lot of the winter here. I think even just getting up and going out for 20 minutes will help. I just feel really stuck when I sit down and don't move. I think moving straight away will stop that.

There are some really beautiful places to go here, I'm spoiled for choice really.

I want this to be better. I just need to keep working at it. Rach xx