Notices

Class of September 2018 Part One

Old 08-31-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of September 2018 Part One

Welcome Everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of

September 2018

come and join us!

Our August 2018 thread is now here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-three-14.html (Class of August 2018 Part Three)

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-31-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello i m sober after slip two days ago i m commiting to class x
Old 08-31-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Making my commitment today too. I want something better for myself and for my son.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I joined the August group at the tail end and found it hard to differentiate between the posters. There were so many that they all seemed to merge into one.

Hopefully from the start of this group I can make better connections.

I first came here 9 years ago. This time I’m here as I have a sense and fear that my drinking is killing me. I feel fine but am sure my body will eventually break.

I’m a binge drinker. And by that I mean I drink heavily when I drink not that I go on binges of days. On a Saturday I can drink 3 bottles of wine in one evening. I don’t have physical cravings but I have mental ones.

I seldom drink from Monday to Thursday. Always drink on Friday and binge on Saturday. Sunday is normally spent in despair nursing a fear-ridden hangover. I’ve basically been doing this for 30 years. Something has to give.

I need the help and support I get here.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome newcomers, not so "new" comers, and those of you returning to Sober Recovery. I'm from the class of September 2010, posting to give you hope and encouragement. You can put down drink. For good. You can live--and more importantly--love the sober life.

Tip for the day: Don't start this journey thinking that sobriety is depriving you of drinking, of alcohol; rather, realize that drinking is depriving you of the life you deserve to live.

Again, welcome
Old 08-31-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi allishope and midton and light17

You have found and or returned to a great place. Read a lot, explore the sites, and post if you desire. You will find lots of love, warmth and support here.

Welcome!!
Old 08-31-2018, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Happy to join the September class. I won’t go into it all right now but I am starting a new day one for more than just alcohol. I’m starting a new day one for a lifestyle change .

Midton, like you, I first joined here a long time ago. Actually I joined in 2006 under a different name. I switched names this year or rather last year in 2017 because I cannot stand to look at the old join date of 2006. And I too am a binge drinker. Not physical, but all mental.

But here I am one year later, and just as disgusted to see it says 2017 but I will put in the rearview mirror and start again.

I look forward to seeing you all and successfully completing this journey once and for all.

Big shout out and hello to Dee,
Old 08-31-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you all

D
Old 09-01-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome all it is first of September wishing all including myself to have sober day whatever life brings. We can do it x D
Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I rejoined the August class but have had a relapse.

1st September 2018 - a fresh start.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Start Anew - have you got any ideas on what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 09-01-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Start Anew - have you got any ideas on what you might do differently this time?

D
I have had a sit down with my son - 19 and returning to Uni tomorrow - and encouraged him to be totally frank and blunt with me about how this is affecting him. He has always been supportive but he has every right to be angry. I have also been 100% honest with him about the extent of my drinking. So nothing hidden - all totally in the open.

I am going out with my mother tonight - to an opera, not 'out' out! - which will be in just over 5 hours time. That means I can 'sit in on' 3 online meetings.

There are only two AA meetings I can get to - one on Mondays and one on Wednesdays so they are on my calendar.

On a practical side - my son will be taking my bank cards to Uni with him so if I need to buy something I need to ask him to send me some so no chance to impulse buy.

I start a new job on 17th of this month so I am going to spend the next couple of weeks doing a lot of sleeping and resting up so that tiredness isn't an issue as I know that when I am tired I am weak.

I've written reasons not to drink on sticky notes and they are on the front door. That was one of the things I did when I first joined here and was sober for 6 weeks.

On top of that, I MUST use this forum. The experience and advice is always so good!
Old 09-01-2018, 04:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm joining, too. I really tried in August, but not hard enough - it was hard for me to get any traction on my resolve (which was obviously pretty weak). My resolve now is strong, extremely strong, and I'm really really excited for this new phase of my life which will be alcohol free.

I, like a few others who have posted, am a binge drinker. Lately my binges have been rather small in nature (as in 1-2 glasses of wine) but how they affect my body is badly. I need to be alcohol free in order to live the best life I can live.

Day 1 and happy about it.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank heavens for this group, online meetings and the lovely lady on the AA helpline that I have been talking to.

To think that 19 hours ago I was looking on my phone for 'pain free ways to die'. Thankfully my internet went down and during the time I was offline I decided to get stuck into this group PROPERLY and to speak to AA to check when meetings are.

My son goes back to Uni tomorrow and I know he will be worried about me - especially as I spent a few hours in hospital on Thursday night with withdrawal symptoms. Our local A&E closes at 6.30 pm so we had to get a cab to one about 50 minutes away. I was released just after midnight so we were stuck in that city with enough money for a couple of coffees and the bus home - bearing in mind the first bus wasn't until 5:30 am. We basically haunted McDonalds!

Despite getting that bad, I drank last night. And my son wept. Literally wept. Even so he made me a cup of tea before he went off to his Saturday job. He has text me through the day to say he loves me and said he is proud of me for finding out the local AA meetings.

I am going to do this. My son needs to go to Uni and not have to worry. I have promised him so many times so the proof can only be in the actions.

Just thought I should be honest and add the meat to the bones I mentioned earlier. Anna kindly found the post with all the tips, suggestions, plans so been reading that while listening to an online meeting.

I am hoping that at the end of the month we will all still be here and good luck everyone xx
Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello everyone....

I'm joining the group too...I need more support and know SR can help me find my way back.

Let's have a safe and sober weekend!

Day1
Old 09-01-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Hello everyone....

I'm joining the group too...I need more support and know SR can help me find my way back.

Let's have a safe and sober weekend!

Day1
We can all do this together.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel so disgusted with myself for picking up that bottle of wine a month ago..One drink led to a month long binge...I'm trying to tell myself to keep looking forward, the past is over.

I want to feel good again, and it's going to take some time. I want to forgive myself, and am struggling to do so...
Old 09-01-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
I feel so disgusted with myself for picking up that bottle of wine a month ago..One drink led to a month long binge...I'm trying to tell myself to keep looking forward, the past is over.

I want to feel good again, and it's going to take some time. I want to forgive myself, and am struggling to do so...
I can relate so much to all you are saying. We know we have to move forward (while learning from the past) but it is just so easy to say that but much harder to act on it.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks StartAnew,

It helps to know I'm not alone in this....I will be staying close by all weekend, I have to make this work...today.

I made a promise to myself, if I can't do it on my own this weekend, I'll go to rehab. I want to try anything to avoid that....
Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So today is officially my day 1 since my last drink was around 3am on August 31st. The longest I have ever been sober is about 9 or 10 months. When I go back, I convince myself that I can handle it better this time, and it often starts out that way then gradually gets worse and worse until I am drinking every other day and thinking about nothing but alcohol all the time.

I don't want my son (Now 1) to have to be deprived of a decent mother and childhood. I am capable of being so much more. It's exhausting to be so preoccupied all the time. Depression and anxiety haunt me and the alcohol makes it worse. Life often feels so pointless and hard to me and its incredibly difficult to get going in the morning.

I'm about 80 lbs overweight since having my son. I am going through a divorce and spent 6 months of the last year in shelters with my baby after leaving my husband/being kicked out.

I now finally have my own apartment, but I fear losing it. Drinking makes that possibility even more likely because then I spend too much and sometimes shirk my responsibilities. My son is sick very often and it makes holding down work very stressful. Sometimes I just find myself so angry at the world and society as a whole. I have got basically no friends since moving to the Pacific NW and I feel very alone in the world.

There has got to be something better than this. I don't want to live in crisis mode anymore.