Notices

Class of September 2018 Part One

Old 09-01-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 1 here also

joining september group. hope i can stay sober. detoxing now and it is rough...
Old 09-01-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TheLight,

Let's lean on each other this weekend, I feel very alone too.

When we get past the first few days, things will start to look better.

I know this from experience, I just wish I didn't have so much experience with detoxing and starting over.

I'm here with you and will be posting all day. I need the support too
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mkvan View Post
joining september group. hope i can stay sober. detoxing now and it is rough...
So glad your here....

I'm imagining that we are all reaching out at the same time, joining hands and holding each other up.

This thought fills me with gratitude, thank you everyone for being here.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hello. Just joined.

Hello all.

7 days sober here, and have just got to the point where I felt like joining the forum and saying hello. I feel exhausted. It's my first week completely sober in over a year. I'm fed up with the ups and downs of drinking. I think/hope that I'm finally ready to accept alcohol needs to just be in my past, and not in my present or future.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
TheLight,

Let's lean on each other this weekend, I feel very alone too.

When we get past the first few days, things will start to look better.

I know this from experience, I just wish I didn't have so much experience with detoxing and starting over.

I'm here with you and will be posting all day. I need the support too
Sorry you are feeling alone too, Wildflower. Hopefully this will help. I know what you mean about having too much experience starting over. It plants the seeds of self doubt. I have to say though, each time I have learned something new, so it's not all for naught. I'm preparing myself to go through a roller coaster before things get better, but I've promised myself I will share this time instead of resorting to drinking.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just took my last 2 beers and the rest of my cigarettes out to the dumpster. That was a definite war in my mind.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartAnew68 View Post
Despite getting that bad, I drank last night. And my son wept. Literally wept. Even so he made me a cup of tea before he went off to his Saturday job. He has text me through the day to say he loves me and said he is proud of me for finding out the local AA meetings.
This is incredibly saddening, StartAnew. It's really awesome that he is so supportive, though. I hope you are able to make him proud while he is away. It's a strong incentive.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheLight17 View Post
Just took my last 2 beers and the rest of my cigarettes out to the dumpster. That was a definite war in my mind.
Well done!!

I've lost count of the number of times I've drunk my 'last' tins of beer.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to everyone who is starting Day 1 today.

You have found a great place for support.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I’m ten days in (if I get through today!) so we’re pretty close to the same time. Welcome!!
Originally Posted by Michael2018 View Post
Hello all.

7 days sober here, and have just got to the point where I felt like joining the forum and saying hello. I feel exhausted. It's my first week completely sober in over a year. I'm fed up with the ups and downs of drinking. I think/hope that I'm finally ready to accept alcohol needs to just be in my past, and not in my present or future.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just coming up to midnight Saturday here in the UK. So glad I've come back to here. I spent most of the day on forums or in online meetings.

Tonight I went out with my mother. With our show tickets was a free drink of wine - we persuaded them to make us a cup of tea instead.

Sleep well everyone
Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by StartAnew68 View Post
Thank heavens for this group, online meetings and the lovely lady on the AA helpline that I have been talking to.

To think that 19 hours ago I was looking on my phone for 'pain free ways to die'. Thankfully my internet went down and during the time I was offline I decided to get stuck into this group PROPERLY and to speak to AA to check when meetings are.

My son goes back to Uni tomorrow and I know he will be worried about me - especially as I spent a few hours in hospital on Thursday night with withdrawal symptoms. Our local A&E closes at 6.30 pm so we had to get a cab to one about 50 minutes away. I was released just after midnight so we were stuck in that city with enough money for a couple of coffees and the bus home - bearing in mind the first bus wasn't until 5:30 am. We basically haunted McDonalds!

Despite getting that bad, I drank last night. And my son wept. Literally wept. Even so he made me a cup of tea before he went off to his Saturday job. He has text me through the day to say he loves me and said he is proud of me for finding out the local AA meetings.

I am going to do this. My son needs to go to Uni and not have to worry. I have promised him so many times so the proof can only be in the actions.

Just thought I should be honest and add the meat to the bones I mentioned earlier. Anna kindly found the post with all the tips, suggestions, plans so been reading that while listening to an online meeting.

I am hoping that at the end of the month we will all still be here and good luck everyone xx
Your post has made me cry, both for you and your son.. We are all here to help and lean on each other to get through this, please come here 1st startanew if you think you may drink and ask for help to get through the crave..
Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good job StartAnew!

Sleep well, tomorrow is a new day for us all!

I'm feeling better too....having some comfort food and going to make it a movie night
Old 09-01-2018, 04:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to Michael, Mkvan, The Light, Wildflower and anyone I missed from the recent arrivals.

Lets do this !

D
Old 09-01-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Wildflower, I hope you enjoy your movie night. That's what I like to do on weekend nights as well!

I'm feeling tremendously relieved at this point - relieved that I've figured things out and just the realization that I never have to drink again. It's liberating and fantastic. One of the things I noticed the last few times I drank was that I wasn't enjoying myself, I wasn't able to do anything productive or even semi-productive, and just felt trapped and awful. I never need to feel that way again.

I'm taking my son to a baseball game tomorrow, so I may not be posting until later. I'm excited - I hope we have fun!

Have a good night all, and welcome to the new folks!
Old 09-01-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
Good job StartAnew!

Sleep well, tomorrow is a new day for us all!

I'm feeling better too....having some comfort food and going to make it a movie night
Im feeling a bit better also. took some B vitamins, have been listening to recovery speakers, been on SR all day and attended some online meetings and just ordered some Thai food. Still feel some ambivalence but I am still here, Sober. thanks.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Juno11 View Post
I'm feeling tremendously relieved at this point - relieved that I've figured things out and just the realization that I never have to drink again. It's liberating and fantastic. One of the things I noticed the last few times I drank was that I wasn't enjoying myself, I wasn't able to do anything productive or even semi-productive, and just felt trapped and awful. I never need to feel that way again.
This is what happened to me when I went back to drinking after 5 years sober. my productivity crashed and all i could think about was when i would drink again.
Thankfully now all I want is this pain of withdrawing to go away and i really hope i never have to drink again and that the desire for booze/beer disappears from my life...
Old 09-01-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Playing with fire I know but I went to a bar last night. Didn’t drink, acted drunk and had a good time.

I’m pretty isolated where I am and my friends drink. I enjoy their company, including the non-drinking things we do, and need them. They know that I sometimes go on “health kicks” and don’t care if I drink or not. If I could always have as much fun as last night then I think I really could be sober.

I am now almost in double figures, got a weekend done and feeling strong.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm on day 10, I was or am in August class, a great class but so big that I can't keep up with everyone as I think someone else said earlier. So here I am in September class.
So far so good, only a few minor screams from my AV, need to make sure I don't let my guard down and get side swiped.
I have realised anger is what is my trigger is, also the sunshine and warmth equals wine for me and as I have 3 months until summer I need to make sure I have some grasp on my sobriety before summer hits.. I did spend 35 days sober over dec/Jan but crumbled on my 40th..
Look forward to meeting you all..
Happy Sunday and happy fathers day to all the dads here..
Old 09-01-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and welcome to all the newcomers.

I had a decent day today, didn't do too much of anything. Fixed some breakfast muffins to put in the freezer for this week's breakfast, went for a walk, etc.

Like Juno, I also realized that the last few times I drank, even if just one glass, it didn't make me feel good at all and definitely diminished my productivity. I used to try to play the tape forward if I wanted a drink, but Dee once suggested I try to think about how that first drink will start all the madness so trying to change the mindset.

I'll check in again tomorrow. Hope you all had a good day.