Notices

Just starting day three.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just starting day three.

Yesterday was tough, really tough. My mind is playing tricks on me and I was even contemplating drinking and then starting again on the September the 1st.

I kept romanticising about cold frothy beer. I kept asking myself why am I giving up when I enjoy it so much.

Lucky for me I’ve kept a blog of the last few years and a quick read through some of my entries reminded me alcohol was not always about drinking in the sunshine with my buddies. I recalled sneaking in the kitchen and swigging neat vodka from the fridge whilst my wife was putting the kids to bed. I relived the blackouts where I could not remember what I watched on tv the night before or what I talked about with a friend. I also looked in the mirror and saw my overweight aging reflection staring back at me. Right now I feel like I’ve aged ten years. I’m at least two stone heavier than I should be, I’ve got no energy and I look like shite.

I’m really pleased I made it, another day gone. Just hope it gets easier or better still I get tougher.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi whatsgoingon

Congratulations on making it to day 3 that's awesome
Old 08-30-2018, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep going and whatsgoingon will become apparent.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done...remember the HALTS (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired/thirsty or Sad/stressed. .fix it) as well. cravings and any emotions can seem more intense otherwise.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 3!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

What,

It took me over a month to really detox. Then the crave kicked in.

Off and on, for over a year. Still crave daily.

I think about how healthy I am now and how sick I was.

Now that I am educated I know not to drink any more.

Booze is poison to me.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in, and congratulations on Day 3. If my two cents is worth anything, definitely fight the tomorrow, X date mentality. I'm very Type A, fresh page and always have to start X on a Monday, or in the morning, or at 7pm but if its 7:01 now I have to wait till 8pm, etc person. Its doesn't change a thing or contribute to any peace. Stay strong!
Old 08-30-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job! Being as sick as I was at first is something I look back on as a blessing because it is seared in my brain forever! And when I had he awful experiences when drinking, I sure couldn't do anything out them!

Keep going. Learning tools to keep us sober and handling daily life is totally possible.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 3 is a great start whatsgoignon

D
Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day four now

I’m finding this stuff really hard, much harder than I thought it would be. At the moment I’m really craving a drink. My mind is painting attractive pictures of happy people supping beer and it’s friday which makes it even harder. I’m not going to drink but boy do I want to.

Is it wrong or strange that I’m longing for a drink? Ok I know it’s wrong but that’s why I’m here. Strangely at the moment I’m even arguing with myself about how much I enjoy having a drink, it’s a real mental battle. I’ll be honest here I do like the feeling of being drunk, I think that’s probably the case for a lot of people. It’s almost a taboo thing to say on here but it’s a fact and it’s the reason so many relapse. I guess that is hardly surprising, after all alcohol is an addictive substance much like cocaine or nicotine.

I’m hoping tomorrow I will battle the cravings better.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The cravings will lessen and the way to make that happen is to get through these tough days. This link might help you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 08-31-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello whatsgoingon,

Have you read about the addictive voice recognition technique (AVRT)? There are plenty of resources here on this forum.

I ask, because you're doing a great job of recognizing when your addictive voice is talking to you, and you're also doing a good job of talking back to it. "Play the tape to the end," as they say. Sure, one beer is refreshing and fun, but you know very well where that ends up for you. You've been there. Concentrate on how your sobriety is more consistent with your values, and ultimately more pleasant, than doing what the addictive voice says.

Congrats on Day 3. You can do this.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

What are you doing for your recovery? I found sitting there gritting your teeth can only work for so long.

A recovery action plan can help
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

There are some great ideas for dealing with cravings here too.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

If you read around I think cravings are a part of pretty much everyones early recovery experience, whatsgoingon - nothing taboo about discussing that

D
Old 09-01-2018, 12:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I made it!

Starting day 5 now.

Should be a great day. Coaching kids footy this morning!