Notices

waking up and wanting to drink

Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

waking up and wanting to drink

i know this isnt good i know that waking up and my first thought is to drink ...i tried to call my sponsor think she having a bad time herself left her a message she looked at it half an hour ago no calls ...have to do this without help ....i dont want to leave the house at the moment would go to a meeting av not been to one for a week now i feel like i want to stop going to AA all because i dont want to be at the big table and share for 10 mins , i share only for a few mins but there is no way am going to be able to share for that time ....i dont think ill ever be ready for it i am not a person that likes talking in front of other people plus i have no clue what to say or i cant remember very much about my recovery due to my mental health this is making me want to drink plus at the moment my mental health is really bad my pastor is in Italy so i cant talk to him about it my husband is stressed as it is think i should go and hide in a dark hole
Old 08-29-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

Nobody will force you to talk if you don't want to talk...

Whatever happens drinking will definitely not be the answer. It will make things a whole lot worse. If you are an alcoholic like me you know that already, yes ?

Have you not got any family or friends you can call.

Post some more if it helps...
Old 08-29-2018, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi WolfsChild,

As Vman said, no one will force you to talk, and any mention of time for a share that you hear is a maximum, certainly not minimum. There have been meetings where I simply raised my hand, said "Hi, I need help, can someone please talk to me after the meeting," and that was it. Further, just so you know, the more you attend meetings (particularly if you find one you'd like to be your home group), you'll become more comfortable with the people and think of them as friends instead of "fellow alcoholics". I assure you that you will begin to feel more open the more you share, and you'll find that it feels good!! That said, there is no pressure whatsoever to dive right in. Just being present is really all that is needed in the beginning.

On the point of AA, your sponsor can't possibly be the only phone number you have?? That is how AA works -- you call someone when you feel weak, and if that person is not available (it's understood that everyone has a life outside AA!), you simply call the next person on your list. If somehow none of them are available, call anyone; call the AA hotline. There are volunteers 24/7 who will talk you through how you are feeling and strategies to avoid drinking today. It's what they're there for. Do [just about] anything except drink. It will make everything 10x worse and your regret will be overwhelming tomorrow.

Stick with your plan!
Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the times I least wanted to be at a meeting were the times I most needed to be at a meeting....

the times I felt like drinking in the morning.... I usually wound up drinking in the morning....

except when I went to a meeting....

Old 08-29-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Beautifully Broken

Stayed logged in here. Read, post vent...
Use the mobile chat.
Watch funny videos on You Tube, watch a funny movie, read the Bible or the Big Book, pray...
Just don’t drink. Don’t dwell on the desire to drink.
Dwell in reasons to stay sober.
Play the tape through to the end.
I am on Day 4, had an Awful day yest.
AV has been loud today.
But I know drinking isn’t an option.
It’s off the table so that leaves me with the thoughts and desires and I have to figure out how to deal with them.
I can indulge in them and feel that uncomfortable wiggling, white knuckling or I can find something else to do.
Choice is ours.
I pray you can get through.
🤗
You got this.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WolfsChild,

I hope your sponsor calls you back before too long. In the meantime you can always find support right here. And, I think you have access to a Crisis Centre that you can call? They may be able to give you some support too.