Notices

PAWS @ 9months?

Old 08-28-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS @ 9months?

Hi all,

just hit 9 months a few days ago and was feeling awesome!!! The last few days though have been the polar opposite and a bit deflating, to say the least. Constant anxiety for no reason what so ever, racing thoughts almost, can sleep... I feel like a just quit almost. Anyone relate to this?
Old 08-28-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I certainly wish I could relate to being 9 months sober as 9 days would be a hell of an achievement!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you can do it amigo
Old 08-28-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job on nine months! My answer to your question is yes, I can relate quite well.

First, here is a good article on PAWS - digitaldharma.net under tab PAWS. It describes what the syndrome (not any offîcial diagnosis) can entail. Everyone differs and I was one who was extremely ill when I quit, so I went through pretty much everything this describes and more. I am two and a half years sober and considered myself in early recovery for a year and a half give or take. Particularly in terms of expending a lot of energy once I was able (a jump forward at five months then around 10) and ne ding to recover from that.

I kept progressing and am healthy now, but I would describe it as everything the alcohol had affected having to heal, like the badness rolled out of my body from head to toe.

My sleep continued to be a problem in different ways through that time. Now I have an innocent sounding but incredibly frustrating condition that is causing me sleep problems I still take naps most days.

The first year in particular was a roller coaster that began to smooth out. I struggle with anxiety and have various ways to deal with it. My emotions are much more even and I can also catch myself more quickly when going one extreme or another. Figuring out how to just be, to just have whatever kind of day it was, took time.

There is a lot mor I could write so maybe PM me if you like. Staying sober was the only way forward for me, and knowing that has continued to reward me with mental, emotional, and physical improvement.

Exercise- though I got very fit and then injured my back last Mar so I am coming back from that- and lots lots lots of water and club soda, lots of produce and a generally healthy diet, my AA program, my support group in and out of recovery, a great psych who monitors meds that help me,....there are a lot of components to how I got through the terrible getting well, into the year two of a lot of colds, and strep, and occasional irrationalirritability sometimes popping up, and into year three with mainly just the sleep issue to handle.

Best to you. Keep going. It will get better.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Cobber!
I had it through the whole first year or even a bit longer that this intense anxiety and other withdrawal symptoms like sleeping issues suddenly came back. I guess sometimes it can also be related to what's happening in your life. When life was really stressful, I would react with the same kind of withdrawal like symptoms.

But over time it got better. I don't know how your self care looks, in the first year I would find myself again and again in situations where I had abandoned my self care routine again and therefore felt stressed. Maybe try to fit in some relaxation time, a meditation or some exercise depending on what helps you best.

I hope you'll feel better soon
Old 08-28-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nine months sober! PAWS is irritating but will go away with more sober time. I was bothered by it during the first year sober but it got better after that.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I guess it’s just part of the process but the last few days have been rough for sure. I just keep my eyes on the prize and keep chugging along. Thanks again for the insight. I’m ready for this funk to be over. Much love
Old 08-28-2018, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can completely relate, I had a heck of a time with PAWS too. It passes though - you'll feel awesome again
Old 08-29-2018, 02:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That article is a good one. Looking back over your posts the anxiety and racing thoughts have come and gone for a while now. What does your recovery plan look like at the moment? I reckon it's probably time to commit to adding something extra to it if you want to get to a place of peace.

For me my bouts of PAWs kicked off at about 6 months. At that stage I'd been attending AA meetings for 5 months and was darned sure that someone like ME did not need to get a sponsor and work the steps. Nope. That was for far 'worse' alcoholics (whatever that meant). I wanted things to change, but really I wasnt prepared to change anything myself. So, so stubborn.

By 9 months though, things had got worse and I was desperate enough to think that maybe it was worth at least trying the steps with a sponsor. This was the turning point for me. I'm so glad I got that gift of desperation and became willing, or my pride and laziness would have kept me right where I was. Restless, irritable, discontent, anxious, angry, hopeless, and full of self-pity which had tears rolling down my cheeks whenever I was alone. It was pretty vile. It was in the winter that I found a sponsor and started to work on the 12 step recovery plan. By spring I'd just finished step 5 (so not even half way through) and the world and my life felt like a completely different existance. Pretty amazing.

I hope you find something in the suggestions in the digital dharma article, or elsewhere, that you can add to your plan that will make the difference. Please don't just carry on as you are and hope things will just get better. We get out of recivery what we're prepared to out into it, and there are lots of options out there.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB