Notices

Back again

Old 08-28-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I was doing well for the first month back in June but I've fooled myself into thinking I could have an occasional drink and here I am feeling rough this morning because yesterday was bank holiday Monday and it's any excuse isn't it?

Not sure how to tackle this, it's that day three and the cravings hit and I just don't know how to deal with them. I'm so fed up with the hangovers yet I open that wine knowing full well what's waiting for me the next day.

This morning I can't drive as I'm probably over the limit still from night. I just want to be free of this as I should be in control, not the drink controlling me.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We all fool ourselves love, it's part of the addiction. You are here though and that's the main thing
Be kind to yourself today, plenty of water and rest. I used to play games in the arcade here, or the 'word game' section (down below) and it helped pass the time and keep my brain busy.
You can do this
Hugs from Derbyshire x
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is my day 1 again.

I've deleted the quit drinking app, I think it made it worse as I'd get to day three and it would say something good about my health then I'd think that it's fine to have a drink as a reward for getting that far.

I'm aiming for one month sober, at the moment a whole lifetime feels too daunting. After that month I will go from there but I need to get the physical cravings out my system then I can tackle the mental ones. I've not got much planned for the coming month so it feels like a good time starting from today.

I've quit for long periods of time before so I can do it again.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Longlady View Post
This is my day 1 again.

I've deleted the quit drinking app, I think it made it worse as I'd get to day three and it would say something good about my health then I'd think that it's fine to have a drink as a reward for getting that far.

I'm aiming for one month sober, at the moment a whole lifetime feels too daunting. After that month I will go from there but I need to get the physical cravings out my system then I can tackle the mental ones. I've not got much planned for the coming month so it feels like a good time starting from today.

Welcome back Longlady

Well done for making today your Day One!

This risk of aiming for one month is that you may also feel like rewarding yourself with a drink when you get that far.

If i was you I'd just aim for today, then tomorrow etc. Try not to look to far ahead and just take each day as it comes.

You previously stated that your so fed up with the hangovers but you never have to experience one ever again if you make the decision to never drink again.

Good luck to you,

John
Old 08-28-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back LongLady

Forever was too much for me to comprehend initially too so I focused on one day at a time making sure I'd commit every day to not drinking, and doing my utmost to stay sober.

Eventually I had a long string of days behind me and forever ceased to be so scary cos I was doing it anyway.

Posting here daily really helped me accept that I really was that bad and that I could never have the relationship with alcohol I wanted - I was never going to have that take it or leave it things happening...I couldn't take it ...so I had to leave it, if I wanted change.

Two threads that may help - one of dealing with cravings:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

and the other on what a recovery action plan is, and what it might look like for you.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

Even if you're purposely not focusing on forever right now, it's a great help to have a plan

D
Old 08-28-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is my day 1 again.

Hi LL. I was getting up to opening a third bottle some nights. Every night I would drink my way into two bottles. One was never enough and then I would black out. Head to bed. Peel off my clothes and drop into a deep unconscious sleep. Never brushed my teeth or looked after myself. Wake up at around 3am. Sweats and feeling shite. Next morning pretend the hangover didn't exist and head off to work. Tried over and over and over and overrr again to quit. Then 4th January I'd had enough. No more.

So here I am some 7 months later. I sleep great. I brush my teeth x 2 daily. My thinking is clear and I love my life.

But most importantly I dont crave alcohol anymore. Fleeting moments but the demon has gone away. It takes time but you will get there....but you need a plan. You need to know how you're going to manage the cravings in the initial stages. I didn't go to AA or SMART. I just logged into the 24 hour recovery every single day and committed to it one day at a time. When things get tough just log in and shout "I need help!". And it will be therefor you. You can do this and life will be so much more rewarding when you do.

All the best. Xx
Old 08-28-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is my day 1 again.

Just concentrate on staying sober for today and get into a recovery program. AA is freely available and works.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well today is done. Must say I've felt very sorry for myself all day. The twenty years of on and off binge drinking is coming to an end and time to start a new era.
I did write a long reply to this originally but I read it back and I bored myself so deleted it lol. Does help writing it down though.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to have you back, Longlady.

It was very hard for me to admit I couldn't touch the stuff ever again. I fooled with moderation for many years. I never once was able to control myself. I continued on until I was in serious trouble in every way possible. I'm glad you see what needs to happen. It can never be fun or relaxing for us again - time to get free. You sound ready.