# 2 (permalink)  

Good luck, you know you can do this.

John
Old 08-28-2018, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go for it
Old 08-28-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you WGO! Hope that you stay close to SR for hope, support and inspiration x
Old 08-28-2018, 03:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you whatsgoingon - whats the plan ?

D
Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Today is the day.... for what??

Say it aloud!!!!

You can!!!
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
good for you whatsgoingon - whats the plan ?

D
The plan so far is to commit to a 90 day booze free challenge. As you may recall I was going to start September 1st but I woke up this morning and decided to just get on with it.

I’ve told all my friends and family about my challenge so I’m hoping I’ll get plenty of support and encouragement. As I don’t want to let anyone down I’m confident I can complete the 90 days.

Admittedly I don’t know what I’ll do after the 90 days but it’s a start.

My biggest hurdle will be overcoming any craving I get so that’s one area I’m going to need help with.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I encourage you to shift slightly - commit to a 90-day SOBRIETY ADVENTURE.

Label it as positive (not a challlenge but an opportunity) and focus on the positives (not going WITHOUT but instead EMBRACING life).

You may be surprised how much difference that makes....
Old 08-28-2018, 03:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

Label it as positive (not a challlenge but an opportunity) and focus on the positives (not going WITHOUT but instead EMBRACING life).

I like that!

I’ll try think of as many things I can do now that I couldn’t do when I was drinking!

Something as simple as going out for dinner will be so much easier without having to arrange taxi’s and it means we can literally go anywhere we want without worrying how we are going to get there! It will also be so nice to wake up after a night out without a hangover!

The football season is about to start and this year I’m coaching my sons under 7 team, being hungover with 30 kids at 9am is now something I won’t have to face!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

Today is the day, you got that right! Best day for making things happen, right now.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found committing to these challenges simply left the door open for me to drink like a maniac after them. It's not so bad when you know that you can drink after that time is over. I did a month test, then a two month test. The result after both was that although I could easily moderate in situations like dinner with my partner or relaxed meals with friends etc, if I went for a 'party' night with friends, the night still resulted in days of me drinking myself to oblivion at home until Monday.
The test showed two things. It is MUCH easier to give up alcohol completely than it is to moderate. It also showed that I still have an extreme alcohol problem regardless of how long I take a break. Conclusion. NO amount of alcohol is safe for me to drink.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post
The plan so far is to commit to a 90 day booze free challenge. As you may recall I was going to start September 1st but I woke up this morning and decided to just get on with it.

I’ve told all my friends and family about my challenge so I’m hoping I’ll get plenty of support and encouragement. As I don’t want to let anyone down I’m confident I can complete the 90 days.

My biggest hurdle will be overcoming any craving I get so that’s one area I’m going to need help with.

Awesome awesome stuff. I don't think it matters if you call it a challenge. I personally like challenges . It's great that you've told people in your life, for support and accountability and all.

After 90 days you continue! Do another 90. And so on...

Cravings... Dee has a few threads on that. Posting here when the urge hits is a start tough. Making some tea, going for a walk, taking a shower etc. You get what I'm saying? Just do something else to ride it out. Cravings pass.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

WGO—welcome back!!

I think you are embarking on a great chapter!!

How will you ride the waves of cravings?

For me, sometimes I just slept. And sometimes I went to the gym. And sometimes I thought of how poisonous alcohol has been for me. Or some of the embarrassing moments I’ve had.

I’ve posted here a lot and I’ve read even more with a lot of little “thanks” here and there on posts ( I didn’t even know that was a thing or that people had avatars until I used the desktop version on my phone ).

Today is my 92nd day.

It’s been pretty tough for me and good for me at the same time. I drank heavily the last 10 years and dysfunctionally for the last 20.

I can’t imagine going back to day one or to the first week.

But I’m doing this like I’m going on a long run . I visualize my success. Visualize myself doing things sober and having a good time. I understand that the subconscious mind sometimes does not know the difference between reality and visualization /imagination. That’s where mindfulness comes into play because our minds are very powerful and our mind controls our body and our thoughts.

I look forward to supporting you in your upcoming posts here, and hearing about the season with the boys football .

Best,
Old 08-28-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

Wow that is awesome advice.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You have a friend.

I am on day 1 too!!! Let's just focus on getting through the day.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatsgoingon View Post

It gets so much better after 3 months!