Notices

Lost

Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost

I'm sitting here, at the bar, on my lunch break. Downing one too many glasses of wine. I know if I continue down this path, the outcome isn't going to be in my favor. I don't know how to break this habit. I'm slowly throwing my life away. I desperately want to get clean, but fail at every attempt I make. I'm on the verge of losing everything I worked so hard for, but lost as to how I'm going to make it out. I'm hating my life and the person I've become. I wish I was normal.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm freshly back here, but my thoughts are with you. I don't have advice, just solidarity. Hoping you can leave your drink unfinished and head home (or back to work if you have to).
Old 08-27-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brebee View Post
I'm sitting here, at the bar, on my lunch break. Downing one too many glasses of wine. I know if I continue down this path, the outcome isn't going to be in my favor. I don't know how to break this habit. I'm slowly throwing my life away. I desperately want to get clean, but fail at every attempt I make. I'm on the verge of losing everything I worked so hard for, but lost as to how I'm going to make it out. I'm hating my life and the person I've become. I wish I was normal.
The only way to start is by stopping. You can save yourself, even just getting to this site shows that you have it in you. You found your way here, that's a great beginning. There is so much support and knowledge on this site, welcome.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish i knew what normal was!

Put down the glass. Get your stuff and leave. Go for a walk. Clear your head. Buy a bottle of water and a sandwich and check back in.

You can do this. Enough now.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you're as "normal" as me....

I was right where you are....

I'm now in year 5 of sobriety....

Life is so much better....

it all started - from right where you are - with a choice.

I didn't just "want" to get clean...

I CHOSE to LIVE SOBER.

Then I supported that choice with action.

It has been the best choice I ever made.

You can choose it, too.

Are you ready?

If so.... make the choice. Now.

Then support it with action. Now.

Choose.

Then stand up and leave that bar and the rest of the alcohol on the table.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. First thing is STOP DRINKING. If you have any alcohol at home, dump it out and don't buy anymore. It all starts with day one, the first day you don't drink. The withdrawal isn't fun but once it's over (usually a few days) you will start to feel better.

Take advantage of the support here to bolster your commitment to sobriety. If you feel like drinking, post instead so we can talk you out of it.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Time to take action, brebee. Nothing changes if we repeat the same behavior over and over.

Put down the wine and take back control of your life.

We're here to support you through it all.

Welcome!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think pretty much all of us have felt the way you do now and I greatly sympathize.

You've been given the best piece of advice here by multiple people. The only way to stop how you're feeling is to put down the drink and STOP drinking.

It isn't easy, but you can do it. The first days after quitting are miserable and it feels like drinking is the only way to stop the misery, but that just makes things worse and worse because the alcohol only numbs the depressing feelings temporarily. You have to ride out all those tough days and the tough feelings they cause, because after all that life is so much better.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!
I agree with everyone above!

Pour it out and start the next sober chapter of your life, I bet you won't regret quitting and recovering!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and decided to post. That's a good step towards beginning to recover. You have the choice to stop drinking and to be the person you want to be. We do understand how hard this is and we're here to offer support.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a great place for encouragement, Brebee.

I felt exactly the same when I found SR. I was drinking every day - it was always in my system. If it wasn't, I'd get sick & shaky. Being dependent on it made my life miserable & kept me from all the things I loved. What had started out as a fun way to relax had become a necessity. I was so thankful to finally get free. You are never alone - and you can do this.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. Today is day one of sobriety. Even though my anxiety is through the roof from withdrawals, I know it will all be worth it in the end. I'm happy I found this community.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, good for you brebee!!

You will never regret this choice.

Please stay hydrated and post as often as you like.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Breebree. Glad you’re here. Getting through day 1 is a great accomplishment!