Notices

Motivation at the beginning

Old 08-27-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation at the beginning

I wondered if any of you used or are using anything as a little motivation (on top of the obvious!) when you first start your sober journey. I’ve found an app called ‘I am Sober’ which I’ve found really helpful. The scariest and best part is that it’s shown me how much I’ve saved so far on my 22 day journey! Has anyone found anything else useful?
Old 08-27-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Three things keep me sober. My kids, sober recovery and a tv show called intervention. You can get all the episodes on you tube.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mine has been my kids, my family and my health. Apart from that SR and SoberGrid App keeps me in line everyday.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have the same app, it's nice for days and for $$!

Committing to physical fitness, along with elements already mentioned, keep me sober.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I use an app too! It really helps to see how long you've been sober and how much money you've saved and drinks you've skipped.

My motivations are my husband (He doesn't think I have a problem, but he now understands how I feel and why I wanted to quit) I am much more full of life on weekends when I don't drink, so can go out and do more things, cook for him etc.

My art. I didn't drink in the week any way, but now my weekends consist of either drawing or playing video games with my husband. They used to consist of him playing video games alone while I sat for two days 'nursing' Friday's social drinking hangover with two days of house drinking. Strangely, quitting my job in January and working on my art portfolio since then has made me extremely determined not to drink, instead of resulting in me drinking more because of all the free time.

My fitness. My gym visits are extremely consistent now that I don't cripple my progress with drinking Friday-Sunday or Monday.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My motivation was my family. I was about to lose everything.

I'm glad you've found something that worked for you.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My motivation early on was just wanting to feel better. The early days are rough so I had to take it one day at a time and be glad for each small improvement.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Of course I have the main motivations like my family and wonderful partner, and being able to talk about the future and making plans without the pang of guilt I used to feel that they deserved more than the lying and hiding alcoholic sat with them! I look upon my partner now every morning and night with a deeper love. I was so selfish. The app makes you say a pledge each day to stay sober and this has certainly helped me focus!
Old 08-27-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I use that app too Kath and I agree the more money I save the scarier it is to think about how much I spent while drinking!

Aside from the more intrinsic motivations I like to play the tape forward. The thought of getting up at 4 AM for work hungover and still kind of drunk is quite deterring when thought of with a sober mind.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Learning new things was a huge motivator for me. In the end of my drinking my mind was barely functioning. I couldn't remember what I ate for breakfast. When I quit one of my main and continuing goals is to get my mind working the best it can. Sobriety is totally paying off.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My main motivation is to get myself back. I really don’t know who I am without drinking and I’m making my way toward that person, the real authentic me.

I am also highly motivated by being a responsible parent, spouse, daughter, professional, society member, etc. I’m so embarrassed about who I became and the things I did that I never want to drink again and be that person again.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want my brain power and focus back. I want to have something to give to my family. To have relationships, hobbies, joy. Take care of my dog. When I drink, that is all I can do. Just work, and barely that, and drink. That's my whole life. So sad. One week in and I can already think more clearly and have spent time with my family that I never could have spent before.
And, one of my friends and coworkers whose father just died texted me tonight to tell me she loves me. It made me cry. All I did was offer support. That's just a little part of what I can have if I am sober that I can't if I don't.
I like the apps, too though. May try that.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These responses are all so beautiful and a motivation within themselves for anyone reading. Thank you all for sharing. I really didn’t realise how much I was missing in my life because I was scared of missing a drink. My quote this morning from the app was ‘Be stronger than your strongest excuse’ which I feel was very apt to how I am feeling today. Day 25. So close to the month mark.