SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alcoholic relapse dreams... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/431696-alcoholic-relapse-dreams.html)

Yixi 08-27-2018 03:41 AM

Alcoholic relapse dreams...

Hi all - I've been searching for posts specifically concerning really disturbing dreams in which the AV gets me and I succumb to picking up/hiding/seeking or seriously imbibing the drink. (I'm sure there are plenty out there I just can't seem to locate them).

I'm aware that it's a known occurrence for folks but it's bugging wigs out of me and I just wondered if any of you kind souls would please share any coping strategies/threads that you have in your toolkit?

Many thanks.

gypsytears 08-27-2018 03:49 AM

I don't have any magical advice other than thetimes it's happened I just brush myself off and go on about my life because it was just a dream. Much like any other nightmare as scary or unsettling it might be... it's just a dream. If you dreamt you won the lottery you wouldn't go spending the money you won in the dream would you? :herewego

Yixi 08-27-2018 03:57 AM

Thanks Gypsy :) All of my life I've dreamed vividly. Even whilst drinking. I think it might be better if the drinking dreams involved wild scenarios or ridiculous premises. But they don't - they involve me going about my business in a normal fashion, save for the 2 bottles of vodka in the handbag. You're right I guess - although I'd be chuffed to niblets to win the lottery - even in a dream :) Thank again for your reply.

gypsytears 08-27-2018 04:02 AM

I think more sober time lessens the occurrence of those dreams. Filling your life with positives encourages positive dreams imo. Now... maybe if we both dream of winning the lottery, it might happen :lmao.

Yixi 08-27-2018 04:16 AM

:lmao I'll dream my best Gypsy. I think this is what confuses me most about it all - I was fine for the first 8 months then the last few weeks it's knocked me sideways a bit. My plan is to put it down to the AV being more than naughty and seeing if it can dent the armour as I do practise gratitude and feel very blessed with my life. Reckon tonight I'll concentrate on giving that AV the kicking of it's life! Thanks for responding to the post - left to my own devices I have the ability to make mountains out of molehills x

snitch 08-27-2018 04:18 AM

Ugh!! I too am a vivid dreamer and always have been and would love to sleep and not dream AT ALL so if anyone knows a magic way...lol!!

I am 4 months sober and have had lots of drinking dreams!!!! My dreams were so realistic...I could TASTE the alcohol and FEEL the effects. Scary. The best thing though was waking up and realising that I was sober ☺☺☺☺

Yixi 08-27-2018 04:20 AM

Thanks and well pointed out Snitch - there is that glorious wake-up moment when we realise we're not as daft as our dream had up down for :)

Primativo 08-27-2018 05:24 AM

I too am 4 months sober and had a dream the other night where I relapsed. Was so glad when I woke up sober and realised it was a bad dream.

Dee74 08-27-2018 04:32 PM

I brushed them off too..they will fade in time..or else become vivid dreams about things apart from drinking :)

D

prettiekittie 08-27-2018 04:40 PM

I have had dreams of getting caught. Makes sense seeing as I devoted so many waking hours to hiding and worrying about getting caught. Sure makes me look forward to being awake!

Yixi 08-28-2018 01:44 AM

Thank you for your replies :) That's true prettiekittie - I guess I spent most of my adult waking hours buying/thinking about buying/hiding or thinking about hiding it that it's bound to spill over into the sub-conscious. Ah well - hopefully a year or more in it'll go away somewhat. Take care all.