Notices

The little niggle of worry

Old 08-24-2018, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The little niggle of worry

Hi, I’ve been reading posts on here for over a year now and have wanted to quit drinking for over a year. The day finally came 20 days ago. I have been lucky; with no withdrawals, my appetite has returned with great enthusiasm and I am sleeping well. I’ve just had a blood test (at two weeks) and the results, as the nurse said, we’re normal and satisfactory. Here’s the niggle of worry... I drank heavily for 7 years, starting with a bottle of wine a day and at the end for the past 4 years, 750ml of neat vodka over a 24 hour period (everyday) I don’t know how I have managed to hold down my career! At Christmas I had a bleed when I went for a number two. This was on Christmas Eve. You can only begin to imagine the panic. I stopped drinking over the Christmas period and went to see the doctor ASAP. The doctor said the bloods were fine and that my levels she would expect to see with someone with a mild infection and not to worry. Nothing was really investigated regarding the bleed. Fast forward to 7 months later, I continued to drink after this until I felt rather unwell one afternoon and threw up some bile which had blood mixed in. Three days later I went to the bathroom and had another bleed whilst number 2-ing. I stopped drinking that day. Rang the docs straight away and told them my history and what I’d happened, she felt around my abdomen and ribs. Didn’t really say anything to me other than it could be GI related and that if I get and more bleeding or black tarry poo, to go straight to a&e. Since then, nothing like that has happened again, I’ve felt generally well other than my digestion system coming round to the idea of normal bowel movements. However, my stomach is still bloated and when I wipe I see tiny pin ***** sized black dots intermixed with the 2. My 2 is what would be considered healthy and normal in shape and colour otherwise. My question is; is there a chance that the doc has missed the liver damage as I’ve read in a few places that sometimes cirrhosis can’t always be diagnosed with just a blood test. And reading about portal hypertension online can scare the crap out of you without too many clear answers to know if I have varies. Should I go back to the docs? I feel pretty let down by them so far as I am earnestly trying to understand and seek answer to put myself in a better position to understand my healing process and I don’t seem to be getting any answers. Thanks for reading if you’ve made it this far! 😂
Old 08-25-2018, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kath

I think it would be unlikely for anyone to miss something big enough to cause regular bleeds and 20 days is still early in the piece for mind and body repairing....

but by all means go back if you're concerned or get a second opinion from some one else?

If it will set your mind at ease it's a good thing

D
Old 08-25-2018, 12:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks I don’t know why it’s starred out a word in there? It meant to say pin sized dots..? Haha
Old 08-25-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some words mean different things in different countries.
I think everyone can get what you meant, no worries Kath

D
Old 08-25-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Hi Kath. I had a similar issue to you and it got worse when I drank. At one point the bleeding was quite significant, bloated stomach etc. I ended up being diagnosed with diverticulitus. If I pushed on the left side of my stomach low down it hurt when the pressure was released so if you have that feeling maybe mention that to your doctor?
Old 08-25-2018, 02:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It only took me a few seconds to puzzle out the censored word...then I LOL'd.

I echo Dee's advice: voice your concerns very clearly to either your current doctor or a different one, but not because I think you're bleeding internally, but simply for your own peace of mind. I suffer from severe health anxiety myself (beets for dinner can scare the hell out of me in the bathroom) and I know all about the worrying. Googling symptoms is a really bad trip for me, I don't recommend it.

Try to think of this: every day you don't drink, you're getting more healthy, you're healing yourself from the inside out. The power of positive thinking, and all that rot. Enough people here have mentioned that our bodies have amazing recuperative abilities that I tend to believe them, and I drank the same as you for many years.

You're on the right path, Kath! Get whatever reassurance you need, and never forget your reasons for getting sober
Old 08-25-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Kathy welcome to SR
Old 08-25-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Only complete sobriety, and permanent sobriety, let my damaged body heal.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

I Kathy - I echo the recommendations of others to see your doctor for your peace of mind. No good has ever come for me by looking up my symptoms on Google. 20 days is superb. You will feel better and better every day.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome....well done on 20 days. I had a minor bleed at one stage some years ago. It was gastritis.....diagnosed with an OGD. I was put on some meds for it.
Try not to worry....there are lots of very treatable things that can cause the bleeding you describe.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Kath. I know how scary (and unpleasant) the bleeding can be. I have bled quite badly for years now. In my case, it is hemorrhoids. I mean blood could be just kind of almost gushing (sorry to be so graphic but there ya go). I went to many docs and was completely honest about my drinking and they said that was not it, but I am sure it did not help with alcohol being a blood thinner. Eventually I was hospitalized for severe anemia. So far, I have only had to use suppositories (another fun time) but I may eventually have to have them surgically banded. Anyway, long story short, bleeding does not always mean the worst. I think hemorrhoids are actually the most common reason for it. Have they looked for that?
Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Kath,

I echo other posters suggestion to see a dr if you are worried. I have GI problems as well and have had black, tarry stools on more than one occasion. That scared the heck out of me, Dr. Google made it 1000x worse! I had a whole bunch of medical tests done and have been cleared. My anxiety would still be through the roof if I hadn’t gone to the dr and completed all the testing.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
Hi Kath. I know how scary (and unpleasant) the bleeding can be. I have bled quite badly for years now. In my case, it is hemorrhoids. I mean blood could be just kind of almost gushing (sorry to be so graphic but there ya go). I went to many docs and was completely honest about my drinking and they said that was not it, but I am sure it did not help with alcohol being a blood thinner. Eventually I was hospitalized for severe anemia. So far, I have only had to use suppositories (another fun time) but I may eventually have to have them surgically banded. Anyway, long story short, bleeding does not always mean the worst. I think hemorrhoids are actually the most common reason for it. Have they looked for that?
No they haven’t checked for it although the first doctor mentioned it around Christmas. I’ve read though that there is usually pain that comes with it and I haven’t experienced that. Oddly enough since writing this message yesterday, I went to the bathroom in the evening and when I wiped there was a small bright red bit of blood on the tissue. Thank you all, I think another trip to the doctors needed
Old 08-26-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Bright red from the back end usually indicates hemorroids - quite easily treated. The "upchuck" blood might be as simple as straining to vomit. The alcohol can irritate the esophagus and cause this. Best to explain your symptoms to your doctor, but they both sound like treatable (or something you may need your doc to monitor).

On a side note, alcohol has been a culprit for the uptick seen in cancers of the esophagus, throat and stomach so quitting is a really good idea. Stay strong, and take care
Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kath50 View Post
No they haven’t checked for it although the first doctor mentioned it around Christmas. I’ve read though that there is usually pain that comes with it and I haven’t experienced that. Oddly enough since writing this message yesterday, I went to the bathroom in the evening and when I wiped there was a small bright red bit of blood on the tissue. Thank you all, I think another trip to the doctors needed
External hemorrhoids cause pain, internal (at least for me) not at all. I probably would have been better about treatment if they hurt. Take care love and get a second opinion. Chances are very good you are absolutely fine. Like others have said, get a second opinion for your own peace of mind.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Also, bright red is "good" in some ways. It often means it is coming right from the source (hemorrhoids) and not deeper bleeding. Not giving med advice, just going off my past experiences.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn’t know that about hemorrhoids. Thank you. I’m revisiting the doctor again this week. I’m glad I’ve survived a ‘traditional English’ August bank holiday weekend for the first time without having a drink. Sparkling water with ice and lemon is a blessing!