Notices

Joy in sobriety

Old 08-24-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joy in sobriety

I am a person who regularly over commits myself. I volunteer for many things: at work, at home, for my kids, in the community. It’s something I enjoy. It’s always super stressful, time consuming, overwhelming, etc.

But it is so much easier to handle sober! I just realized tonight (whilst in the midst of two huge projects) how much more efficient, organized, and creative I am.

I used to waste hours - resending emails because I forgot I already sent them. Searching for materials or notes that I knew I took care of. Brainstorming the same stuff over, and over, and over again because I couldn’t remember already doing it. What a complete waste of time and energy!

I’m still stressed and overwhelmed but my mind is clear. I complete a task, cross it off my list, and actually remember later on that it’s done!! My stress levels even seem more manageable even though the workload is the same.

Just wanted to share my “A-HA” moment and the small joys of sobriety.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's a fantastic revelation, and I agree that getting sober can be huge factor in getting just about any are of our lives back on track. Congrats on your sobriety and newfound productivity!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My first joy of the day is waking up sober, feeling good, and ready for the day.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Well said.

Getting some clarity and order back in our lives certainly is enjoyable. A major driving factor for me too.

Keep going
Old 08-24-2018, 09:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atlast9999 View Post
I used to waste hours - resending emails because I forgot I already sent them. Searching for materials or notes that I knew I took care of. Brainstorming the same stuff over, and over, and over again because I couldn’t remember already doing it. What a complete waste of time and energy!
This is so good to read. Thank you for sharing this.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good share! Being productive is terrific, and for me learning what was really worth that productivity and how to balance it with rest and self care (saying no, sometimes!) was a wonderful process.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So very true, I wake up every morning now clear headed, my bills are so much easier now I actually organised them on my smartphone, I used to pay them the old fashioned way by mailing them. My old Ah ha moment was trying to remember where I left my car, lol. Now I feel so much better , more lucid, lots of energy, went on vacation and actually took in the scenes , went hiking, kayaking, fishing, when I was drinking vacation consisted of finding best bar to drink at and keeping my cooler filled with beer and ice.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you AL. This was really great to read. I'm still in that tired fog. Sitting a work, with a pile of stuff to do and I can't find any motivation to be productive. Then I just feel guilty and stressed.

I'm so glad that everything is so much more manageable for you now!