Notices

Gabapentin. Anyone have experience with it??

Old 08-21-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gabapentin. Anyone have experience with it??

So I met with a really great doctor to help me detox safely. He prescribed me Librium, on a taper basis. Standard fare. But He also prescribed Gabapentin. I told him I have been dealing anxiety for years and that as a result of alcohol abuse, it is sometimes debilitating. Hence, the Gabapentin. I have researched it a bit and the reviews are pretty good.

But I would love to hear others experience ONLY with the drug. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear it Horn. Make sure you follow your dosages carefully, Bezno's can be addicting themselves as they function very closely to the way alcohol does in your brain.

No experience with Gabapentin, but lots of experience with Anxiety. Unfortunately withdrawals are going to come along with some additional anxiety, no real way of getting around that. Alcohol is a depressant, so by taking it away you are in a sense "exciting" your brain just by the removal of alcohol itself. And the swings up and down can be pretty extreme at times. The good news is that withdrawals are finite - and relatively short lived.

Also regarding the anxiety, have you ever seen a counselor about it by chance? Most MD's are quick to prescribe a drug to deal with anxiety, but drugs really only treat the symptoms - not the core issues that cause it. Kind of like taking an aspiring for a broken arm - it will somewhat mask the pain, but you still have a broken bone that needs to be treated. Not suggesting that you should not follow your doctors advice, but more so that you should explore seeking a long term solution to your anxiety issues. And I can tell you from experience that there is no single drug that can simply "cure" anxiety, just as there is no pill that can cure addiction long term.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gabapentin seems to be used for a few different things. I was prescribed gabapentin for my meralgia paresthetica(pinched nerve) and it is a life saver. The burning, tingling dull pain in my leg was unbearable after a few hours on my feet and I'm on my feet 8 hrs a day at work, I take 300 mgs a day and the pain is completely gone, it made me super tired the first few days but now I have zero side effects.
Unfortunately I can't give any input on how it works for cravings and anxiety because I started taking it after being sober 13 months. I had crippling anxiety during my drinking days but now it is completely gone
Old 08-21-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My partner takes gabapentin daily. He was prescribed it for neuropathy initially but last year he was diagnosed with a brain tumor/cancer and all his doctors recommend he continue taking for its anti seizure benefits. He takes it at night as he says it helps him sleep better. Hope this is somewhat helpful for you. Congrats on your sober journey!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing I forgot to mention is that my stress levels and worrying have been reduced since being on gabapentin, I guess your post kinda got me thinking..lol.
I've always been a worry wart and stressed over the stupidest,smallest things which induced un-necessary stress but I noticed it isn't nearly as bad in the last month also my sleep is better and I have been in better moods.
I have absolutely no idea if its because of the gabapentin.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been prescribed it before, and to be honest its mostly helped with taking the edge off of some of the symptoms of detoxing or hangovers - it kind of calms fried nerves a little bit, but without providing a high (at least in my experience), so good with the more acute fried-nerves type anxiety/shakiness. I've taken it day to day too and it did help me feel a little calmer overall, but I didn't notice a huge change really.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I was prescribed gabapentin for anxiety when I first got sober. It did help me with anxiety for the first month or so, but like anything else it can become addictive so just be careful with that. I did notice after not too long of being sober that the anxiety lessened enough that I didn't need it anymore, it was definitely nice to have at the beginning!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My wife takes gabapenten for nerve pain which was caused by multiple surgeries for breast cancer. I noticed right away that her moods were much better and she says her pain is greatly reduced. She like myself was a heavy binge drinker for years, however since she has been on gabapenten she rarely drinks and when she does she only has a few. I looked into it after reading article that it is also being used by opiate addicts to stop cravings; I found out it is sometimes prescribed to alcoholics to stop cravings as well, I know for a fact that it definitely stopped my wife from her heavy drinking habits, but most importantly she is out of pain.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My AH was prescribed Gabapentin for neuropathy pain. It seems to work well on the pain.

I think when it was prescribed the doctor mentioned it would also help AH's anxiety and depression as well.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take Gabapentin for tri-geminal neuralgia and a nerve disorder diagnosed after knee replacement surgery. Are you certain the reason your dr prescribed Gabapentin is for anxiety? Seems to me it would be more for detox off alcohol to prevent seizures. But I am not a doctor. Gabapentin has been a lifesaver for me. Nerve pain is terrible.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes!

I have been prescribed Gabapentin for anxiety. It works well for me. I use a low dose and just enough to take the edge off of my anxiety. Not a miracle cure, but it does help. It also helps me to go to sleep at night. Hope this is helpful!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Gabapentin is working for me!

I’m an alcoholic (took me a long time to admit that) I drank heavily every day for several years until the end when I began drinking around the clock. I hit rock bottom. My Dr. prescribed me Gabapentin. I take 300mg 3 times daily. I have no cravings for alcohol at all. It is also helping with my depression and anxiety. For the first time ever I am in a good mood and I’m not relying on alcohol to get me there! I also attend AA and congnitive behavioural therapy groups for additional support.