Notices

The simple things

Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The simple things

There are some really lovely threads about gratitude and such in other areas of the forum. I thought it might be nice to have something here in the newcomer's forum.

What is something simple, but delightful, that has happened to you recently?

I'll start.

Early this morning my gate bell rang and it was my neighbour. I opened the gate for him and he came to my door with a huge, overflowing bowl of fresh figs! Figs are my favorite fruit!

I have a really beautiful and healthy fig tree in my yard but it is a "wild" fig and the fruit never matures, not even enough to make marmalade with.

As a trade off my neighbour often comes by asking to browse through my extensive herb garden. He collects rosemary, sage, thyme, tarragon, mint, parsley and may other things. In the fall he comes regularly to gather fruit from my VERY plentiful persimmon tree.

I love this back and forth sharing we have.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
There are some really lovely threads about gratitude and such in other areas of the forum. I thought it might be nice to have something here in the newcomer's forum.

What is something simple, but delightful, that has happened to you recently?

I'll start.

Early this morning my gate bell rang and it was my neighbour. I opened the gate for him and he came to my door with a huge, overflowing bowl of fresh figs! Figs are my favorite fruit!

I have a really beautiful and healthy fig tree in my yard but it is a "wild" fig and the fruit never matures, not even enough to make marmalade with.

As a trade off my neighbour often comes by asking to browse through my extensive herb garden. He collects rosemary, sage, thyme, tarragon, mint, parsley and may other things. In the fall he comes regularly to gather fruit from my VERY plentiful persimmon tree.

I love this back and forth sharing we have.
Thanks, that was lovely to read!

My wife loves fresh figs but I find dried ones more flavoursome.

I'm also very partial to a fig roll (fig newton).
Old 08-20-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mera. I had some delicious figs with honey and pecorino this weekend. My sister and a friend came over for dinner.

I'm grateful for the fun night of good conversation and a home to share with others.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow! Pecorino is a treat here, I can only imagine what a treat it is there! I'm so happy for you! We love pecorino with fruit, specifically melon or figs.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mera, we were in Naples area in the summer and one of the neighbours brought us some fresh apricots which were nice to eat in the heat. Another example of one of life's simple things but will remain a memory for a long time. I hope you are doing ok.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

mmmm apricots! I have an apricot tree in my yard, I only planted it about 4 years ago though so I don't get too much fruit due to its size but I still can enjoy some each year.

I think I once posted about my pear tree. It was in horrible shape, the entire trunk was rotting, the fruit came but fell off before maturing, it was very sick. You can find anything on the internet though! I looked up some information on how to bring it back to health and after years and years of work just last year it started producing the most wonderful pears. I had decided to myself that I was going to cut it down and replace it in the fall and lo and behold it came to life that summer. I couldn't eat all the fruit so I made pear mostarda which is like a spicy marmalade, delicious with cheese.

I have two persimmon trees, a cherry tree, the pear and apricot trees, a peach tree, an olive tree and a hazelnut tree. And also the fig tree I mentioned but unfortunately the fruit is not good to eat. It is still beautiful though and provides a lot fo shade and looks nice in the landscape.

My herb garden is outrageous! And to think i bought all the plants in tiny little pots at the supermarket for about €1 each! The rosemary and lavender were only inches tall. Now the rosemary is chest height and the lavender bushes explode with flowers and fragrance in the summer. The herb garden lines the side of my house. I don't have air conditioning so the windows are always open in the summer and I love sitting on my couch and smelling all the scents from the herbs.

That is one simple thing I am thankful for and enjoy, my large yard and garden. My house is very small, 53 square meters (570 square feet) but my yard is quite big and I love taking care of it. One time the HGTV show "Tiny House International" contacted me to feature my house on the show. I filled out tons of paperwork and had several interviews via Skype but in the end my house was not chosen because while it is tiny (for the show they only consider homes 600 square feet or less) it did not have enough "cool" space saving features. They said it was just tiny, not cool enough for the show!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mera,

I love this, I am very grateful for many things:
-Watching my daughter race
-Wafching my son play soccer
-Watching my daughter cheer
-Sitting on my back patio with a book
-Listening to the ocean
-My daily walk in the park

I'm so glad you posted this, I think it's so important to be thankful for all the little things in our daily lives. I am also thankful for pizza!!
Old 08-21-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of my favorite simple pleasures is watching my dogs just being dogs. Sniffing everything. I read a book called How Dogs Love Us and it said that one third of a dog's brain was devoted to sniffing.

I love to watch Billie on our walks 'checking her peemail'. Her nose is always to the ground.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Here’s another simple thing from the Midwest... just in from watching the stars from the pier with my two kiddos. Biggest complaint was the moon was too bright to see the Milky Way. Also love the Loon calling.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love my natural biorhythm. I generally wake at around 5:30, 6 and go to bed at 8:30, 9. This morning I woke earlier than usual, about 5, and am outside with a cup of coffee, enjoying the coolness of the morning. It will get hot again today, too hot to bear, but as an early riser I can really relish these moments of cool quietness.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itsbeentoolong View Post
Here’s another simple thing from the Midwest... just in from watching the stars from the pier with my two kiddos. Biggest complaint was the moon was too bright to see the Milky Way. Also love the Loon calling.
I always loved hearing a Loon call! Don’t have them where I am now, but enjoyed hearing a thunderstorm last night.