Notices

New anti-depressant experience

Old 08-20-2018, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New anti-depressant experience

*As per the rules of the forum this is not intended to be, nor should it be taken as, medical advice. This is my own experience.

I wanted to share this because it has made such a positive impact on my life. I have, since the age of about 16, been on anti-depressants. I have tried everything under the sun. Some have worked for a while, some have not, it has been an ongoing search for years and years.

Recently I was on a typical SSRI in addition to a mood stabiliser and an anti-anxiety. I continuously complained to my psychiatrist about problems with concentration and my memory. I had a number of other side effects (sexual, hand tremors, stiff legs, lethargy, lack of desire to do anything among others) but really could have cared less about those as long as the medication was working. But the memory and concentration were of great concern because I was running into a lot of trouble at work. I was begging and pleading with him "please help me, I am going to lose my job" Every time he just upped my dosage, saying that the symptoms were due to my depression and anxiety. It only got worse and worse but i kept going with it.

I did lose my job. And then I went on a binge that proved to be incredibly destructive. When I came out of it I found a new doctor who told me I was so drugged up it was a wonder I remembered my own name. He cleared out everything but the mood stabiliser and added in a new type of antidepressant and SMS called Brintellix (Trinttelix in the US).

The change has been night and day. I finally have energy and desire to face the day. I have no issues with concentration nor memory. I have only one side effect- slight nausea for about 30 minutes after taking the medication. People around me have commented how I seem like a new person, the old me from years ago.

It hasn't been a cure-all for my (mild but steadfast) depression but it has certainly made me feel a lot better than I have in may, many years.

My doctor told me that he recently presented a study he did at a medical congress here in Italy. He had found that when prescribed at the right dosage to habitual cocaine users nearly all of them just up and stopped using. He had not formally studied, but was beginning to look at what correlation there might be with people with alcohol abuse issues. From what he had found so far, things were looking positive.

In any case, this is a prescription medicine so you must ask your doctor about it who will know best if it will be a good fit for you to try. But I know that we often have to advocate for ourselves so I wanted to share this in case someone is interested in trying another anti-depressant despite having issues with SSRIs in the past.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad that you've found something that helps Mera

D
Old 08-20-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I'm feeling really good on the med front. But as an additional warning to others to be sure to be open with their doctors, for as many positive reviews like mine that the med has there are also a large number of negative reviews. Our body chemistry is all so different, what works for some doesn't work for others. But again, that said, in an area where we are often forced to speak up and advocate for ourselves it is good to have information about the various possibilities that are out there.

In simple terms, from what I understand, an SSRI latches on to all the receptors in the brain that deal with the depression/anxiety issue. An SMS such as the one mentioned above only goes to some of these. This selection process seems to make a big difference in some people.

I have read a ton about this medication because I am so amazed. I have always researched my medications but not to this extent- reading medical papers and such. It has left me, as usual, in awe of modern medicine. We are very fortunate that help is there for those that need it and choose to take it.

I won't post links, but a quick google will send you to wikipedia for further, more technical, information.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Its perfectly fine to share your experience Mera - but I appreciate your warnings to others

D
Old 08-20-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

So glad you're feeling better Mera. I also research my meds and more often than not, choose to not take them because of the disclosed side effects. I'm glad you've found something that's working.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I generally ignore the side effect issue as I am more concerned with the end result, but I have to say this lack of side effects- or at least the common ones- has made a world of difference.

My doctor spoke of how many doctors do not take quality of life and side effects into consideration when prescribing. For example someone might come in for severe anxiety and they are given a high dose of valium and "who cares if they walk into a post leaving the office at least they aren't anxious anymore"

He said the great thing about this medication is that one still has the desire to get up and out each day, sex is a pleasure, not a hassle, creativity still reigns free, energy abounds....

I have found all those things to be true. The only side effects I suffered where diarrhoea for the first few weeks and then this ongoing nausea. The rest of my life feels great.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Great to hear you have found something that works for you Mera . I've been on quite the adventure lately with my anti-depressants, and still haven't managed to find something that really seems to help. I'd not actually heard of Brintellix, I may make some enquiries at my Docs. I'm on Mirtazapine (and have been for years). I tried switching over to Duloxetine recently and it was disastrous, the second worst I have felt in my life! (after booze withdrawal of course). I tend to be very sensitive to these medications and always have a really tough time getting on/off them. I find it bizarre how they work for some people and not others (even within my family!), but they are complex meds and we are complex beings so it makes sense. Back on the Mirtazapine now, although i'm not convinced it does much for my anxiety it does give me a good solid 8 hours sleep, which has always been an issue for me. So swings and roundabouts
Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm glad you've found a new level of balance and a treatment that is working!

To share along the line of my own experience.... I'm still taking an SSRI that I first began as a 'seasonal experiment' but then decided that it was helping so why stop?

I've now been on this treatment regimen for about a year and it continues to seem positive. I still have my bouts with low levels of depression but all in all my mood, energy levels, ability to reframe challenges, general capacity for keeping-on-keeping-on seems to be in a better place.

I know some SSRIs "stop working" and I hope I don't hit that point. Right now, I'm overwhelmed with a lot of stress and change and commitment and that's taking a toll. I'm glad I made the choice to give this medication a try after 4 years of reluctance. It really did help and gave me a chance to progress in my recovery a bit more fully. I hope that this period of overcommitted, overwhelmed difficulty will wind down soon and I can layer exercise and better self care on top of the medication as I head into the dark, cold winter months. That's always a challenge and it'll be interesting to see how the current dosage serves me going into the second winter.

Thanks for sharing and keep on going and growing my friend!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started an ssri about year ago. Huge difference for me. Huge!
Old 08-20-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've noticed a positive change, Mera.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
sex is a pleasure, not a hassle,
Bonus!