Notices

Need Help Getting Back...

Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help Getting Back...

I have stayed sober for months...8 months, 6 months, 3 months...ect..

We've all been there, done that....

I'm struggling to get back to day 1..

Seeking support to get back...

Please help if you can...thank you.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Support offered...share..join some threads......post lots and lots.....make a plan, go to meetings, journal, research, etc
Old 08-19-2018, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you’re here. You can start with today.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi wildflower, I am in the same boat. I no longer deal with daily drinking or even the desire to drink, my problem is short lived relapses that come up after a long (ish) stretch of sobriety. It is so disheartening, isn't it? We need to deeply evaluate what went wrong and get straight to work on righting that.

We have to also be willing to explore any option presented to us. Often something different and out of our comfort zone.

We are here for you. Please keep trying.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

join the August thread wildflower - what have you got to lose but more misery?
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-two-9.html
D
Old 08-20-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wildflower70 View Post
I have stayed sober for months...8 months, 6 months, 3 months...ect..

We've all been there, done that....

I'm struggling to get back to day 1..

Seeking support to get back...

Please help if you can...thank you.
Wildflower, your experience seems similar to mine with periods not drinking followed by bouts of drinking.

What I have found is the first 2 or 3 days are the hardest, due to physical withdrawal but once past that I get into a daily rhythm of just not drinking without too much effort. Physically I feel better all round.

You just need to decide to make that initial effort again.

This time I am putting much more effort into sorting myself out psychologically. Fighting desire is no good for me so I am working on changing my desires.

Look forward to your 1 week post, then 1 month.....
Old 08-20-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi wildflower

I think you should take Dee’s advice and join the August thread. It’s a really great group and you’ll find great support on there

You can get back on track
Old 08-20-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m thinking of you, Wildflower. I’m in the same boat also, struggling to get back on my feet... I had 90 days, then 60, 3 weeks etc, but I always end up drinking and it’s worse than ever - like I’m trying to ‘make up’ for all the sober days...

But we’re not giving up, and that’s the only thing that matters! Support to you, my dear friend. I’m on day 2 and am feeling like human garbage, but I will keep trying... one day at a time. You can do this too!
Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Today I will not drink....

Just one day at a time....again....

That's all I've got...

Day 1

Old 08-20-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, wildflower. Wonderful on day 1. I understand about having a decent amount of sobriety followed by relapses--it's enormously frustrating--but you can do this!
The last time I drank was 2 years and 8 months ago--I drove into a concrete barrier on a highway and nearly died. Maybe the absolute shock of this finally got through to me. Ultimately I want to live more than I want to die and I know if I drink again it will lead to my death--without question.
I hope that you will do whatever it takes to stay sober; you will probably have to step out of your comfort zone--I certainly did. I needed inpatient rehab although I was initially extremely resistant. Now I have a good therapist I see weekly and I come often to SR--this place and the wonderful people here have been a vital part of my recovery.
Wishing you all good things on your sober journey.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am a fellow chronic relapser. Thankfully today, I have the longest stretch of sobriety I've had (not much, but enough to pat myself on the back for). The difference that is helping this time is taking the one day (shoot, one moment!) at a time thing seriously. I would tell myself "one day at a time" but I wasn't living it, always focused on wanting that 30 or 60 day chip, dreading never drinking ever again, etc.

Just push it back an hour or so at a time if you can, and have patience with yourself. If you can, try and go to a meeting or even watch AA videos on Youtube. You don't have to say "none today!" or even "I'll drink AFTER the meeting", just put one foot in front of the other and tell yourself just not right now.

Stay here and good for you for reaching out!